1221Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Learning to kitesurf

  • Mark Frasier
    Mar 3, 2001
      Yeah, the power difference is unreal. A good rule of thumb is that if you
      could use a certain kite to buggy in a given wind it's too small for
      kitesurfing. You should use a kite that's impossibly huge for buggying. To
      learn to waterstart and cruise downwind you could use a kite that is just
      barely too big to buggy with, but you won't get upwind with it (at least til
      you get manry sessions of experience).

      I started with buggying, too, and it's a huge help but also a hindrance in
      some ways. Buggiers, I think, tend to turn the board too suddenly and
      sharply, and we try to go upwind too steeply, which results in not being
      able to stay upwind at all.

      There's also a well-developed "kite safety sense" that starts ringing bells
      just UNDER the amount of power you need to kitesurf! Your good sense tells
      you not to put up something bigger. Try to overcome this in small steps....
      i.e. I'm hoping you won't read this and then go out with a kite that's going
      to kill you!

      When I was learning, I was totally on my own - no one to tell me I was
      underpowered. I eventually overcame this problem by going out on a day when
      the wind started at 14 and picked up to about 19. That was the first day I
      was really able to ride a whole session without walking.

      The other time your saftey sense is a hindrance is when you're learning to
      jump. Buggiers know it's death to cut the kite back when you're powered up
      and moving along at 25 mph. It was hard for me to totally let go of that.

      Back to the question - definately drive the hour for the first few sessions.
      After you've launched and landed a fully powered kite and been on the water
      a few times you'll be able to judge for yourself if your other spot is a

      Do you ever come down to Maine? If so you'll have to try Pine Point (same
      beach as Old Orchard, just the northern part of it). It's a great spot about
      3 hours on either side of low tide. The wind is onshore but there's a
      sandbar that goes out about 1/2 mile where the Scarborough River comes out.
      At low tide you can walk all the way out without even getting wet, and near
      the beach or the sandbar the water is shallow enough to wade back if you
      can't relaunch your kite. Very smooth thermal winds late spring, summer &
      early fall.

      Mark Frasier