1217[ksurfschool] Learning to kitesurf

  • Troy Bezanson
    Mar 3, 2007
      I've been kite buggying for a while now, and have been kiteskiing all winter.  I've got a good understanding of staying upwind, and am ready to buy a bigger quite for my local wind conditions.

      I want to start kitesurfing this spring, but have been told that our area wouldn't be very good for learning.

      I live on the atlantic ocean (Nova Scotia, Canada)  and have access to many lakes too.
      Our wind is generally gusty and between 15-40km.

      I understand it is important to have a lot of beach and the fewer trees along the shore the better.
      Unfortunatelty there are always trees, roads or powerlines along the shore.

      Should I be discouraged from starting the sport in my area?  I live an hour from a great spot for learning(long beach, no obstacles)  Once I learn would It be "safe enough" to kitesurf in an area with less beach?

      I think once I learned to stay upwind, the length of the beach wouldn't be as much of an issue.  Falling would be more of a problem.

      Anyone have any experience kitesurfing in a more restricted launching area?  Any suggestions? (besides staying away from powerlines)
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic