1084Re: [ksurfschool] Free Air2000 vs Free Air2001

  • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
    Feb 3, 2001

      I weight about the same as you (80 kg). For the conditions you describe a
      16M FreeAir or the new Airblast 11.8 (approx. the same size) will cover the
      entire range. It may be more power than you are used to but you can use the
      trim loop when the wind is above 15 knots and you won't have to sit on the
      beach when the wind drops to 10 knots. Last summer, I used a 15.5 AR-5 in
      conditions ranging from 10 - 22 knots. The only thing I didn't like about
      the 15.5 is that it is a slow kite. I just sold it last week and I ordered a
      11.8 AirBlast to replace it. I personally recommend getting the AirBlast
      because of the reverse relaunching capability. The 15.5 was sometimes a pain
      to relaunch and it took a while. I hope that helps.

      << I've been using a Wipika classic 8.5 which I want to sell soon while it's
      still worth something. I weigh around 83 kilos. So the days when the wind
      was 12-18 knots, I was able to get out. BUT, I spent about half my time
      sitting around waiting either for the wind to pick up or die down. The wind
      range is around 8 - 24 knots. I'd like to try to get by with 2 kites rather
      than 3 as money is an issue. I'm ready to get a brand new Free Air (but
      don't know if 2000 or 2001 model) or Airblast but for the 2nd kite I'll look
      for something 2nd hand. Problem is, which sizes?
      I've seen 11.5 AR5s around 2nd hand but I'm not sure about their wind range.
      Do you think a kite around the 11m range and one around 7m would cover the
      8-24 knot range?
      Thanks for yr help.
      JD >>
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic