Re: [ksfairtax] Town Hall Meetings

  • Johncollet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2005
      Chris, and other FairTaxers,

      I may be able to attend, if I can I will be looking for you and any others of our group.

      Dale Chaffe will represent us at the Reardon Convention Center meeting.

      No tickets will be required.

      Moore's staff says that the primary subject will be social security. There will be a panel discussion and an opportunity for questions from the floor.

      It is important, and simple, to politely emphasize that the FairTax changes the tax base for social security from wages to consumption and completely eliminates the funding problem.

      With best regards,

      John Collet

      In a message dated 3/30/2005 7:08:41 AM Central Standard Time, sunnyet@... writes:
      I am interested in attending the town hall meeting at the Edwards campus in
      Johnson County.  Do you need tickets in advance or can you just show up?>>

      I haven't seen any mention of tickets, Chris. The Town Hall meetings I've been to in other states are open to all, first come first served as far as seating is concerned.

      Do you have a FairTax button to wear? I might try to get one to you (and anyone else who wants one) if you'll send along your mailing address. They're large enough so that people notice them and come up and ask what that means!

      And, of course, the Good Rep. Moore would recognize it right away.

      All of you might keep an eye out for Town Hall meetings by other members of Congress. They all usually try to have them during the breaks.

      Sunnye

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Johncollet@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
        FairTaxers,

        I attended Dennis Moore's town hall meeting on Edwards Campus yesterday. The meeting was well attended - every seat taken with some standing - my guess is 200. There was a panel of 5 speakers presenting different views on social security. Peter Newman, the talk show host on 980 Saturday at 11:00 AM and Adam Bowls, The Mutual Fund Store and talk show on 980 Saturday 10:00 AM were the only two I had ever heard of. Peter strongly supports the FairTax but in spite of my urging felt it inappropriate to mention it. Adam Bowls was not familiar but said he thought it was brilliant and I should call him to discuss it.

        While both sides of the personal accounts issue were presented, the speakers opposed did a better job and the audience appeared to be somewhat opposed.

        There were questions after the presentations and Moor's comments but I was not given the opportunity to comment. After the program I did ask More if he would consider supporting HR 25 which would solve the SS funding problem by changing the SS tax base from wages to consumption. He said "I will have to look at that, I just heard about that recently." He had his staff person take my name and said they would get back to me on HR 25.

        I suppose I will now get another of the letters that I got three years ago and which a number of you have received.
        It would be good if we had a flurry of faxes and emails and phone calls to him, be sure to keep them polite. I suggest that we play his game and stay in contact as if we believe that he can't remember the FairTax. Please let me know when you send something.

        Dale Chafe covered the morning Moore meeting and said it was similar.

        With best regards,

        JCC