KPFK LSB Minutes 4/13/2004, Part 2

  • Terry Goodman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2005
      -----
      APPENDIX A - NOTICE OF LSB MEETING

      (Ref: http://www.kpfk.org/lsb/announcements.html, 4/08/04)

      NOTICE OF KPFK DELEGATES MEETING & KPFK LSB MEETING

      Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2004
      City: Los Angeles, California
      Location: Geneva Room, Immanuel Presbyterian Church, 3300 Wilshire
      Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90010. Phone: 213-389-3191.
      Time: 7:00 PM

      Regular meetings of the KPFK Delegates and the KPFK Local Station
      Board were scheduled on March 11, 2004. The LSB meeting will convene
      immediately following a brief meeting of the Delegates. Some or all
      of the LSB committees formed on March 28th will report on the issues
      that they will initially address and recommend language for
      resolutions detailing the duties to be assigned to these committees.
      Additional LSB committees may be formed, and remaining permanent
      officers may be elected. Agendas are also expected to include reports
      from Directors who attended the PNB meeting in Berkeley and the
      election of KPFK Delegates to various PNB committees.

      Immanuel Presbyterian Church is four blocks west of the intersection
      of Wilshire and Vermont, with parking entry off of Berendo.

      -----
      APPENDIX B - PROPOSED AGENDA

      PROPOSED AGENDA FOR LSB MEETING/ TUESDAY, APRIL 13, 2004 [from don
      white] Adoption of this proposed agenda would include adoption of the
      times certain for agenda items.

      I. Call to Order, Call of the Roll, Approval of Agenda, Approval of
      Minutes, Opening Remarks by the Chair: (a) how agendas get produced,
      (b) written motions, etc., to the chair, (3) time keeper, logistics of
      meeting, (4) Board Retreat, (5) LSB Operation & Logistics Team and
      Establishing Regular Meeting Schedule for the LSB [12 minutes]

      II. Report by our four Directors pertaining to Berkeley PNB meeting
      [13]

      III. Public Comment [20 minutes]

      IV. Creation of National Committees, including Committee of Inclusion
      Establishing specific mandates for the committees. These committees,
      establish by the PNB, are (1) Governance, (2) Technology, (3)
      Programming, (4) Audit and (5) Inclusion. Also the following two Ad
      Hoc committees of the PNB: [1] National Executive Director Review
      Committee and [2] Elections Review Committee. [35 minutes]

      V. Public Comment [20 minutes]

      VI. LSB Committee Reports/ Committee "charges"&"mandates"/ Clarifying
      Committee Membership/ iPC Issues & Progress (These committees are
      Finance, Programming Oversight, Management Evaluation, Outreach and
      Structure. iPC Report here as well. [20 minutes]

      VII. Issues of Secretary and Treasurer [20 minutes]

      VIII. General Manager's Report [15 minutes]

      IX. Bilingualism at LSB meetings/ earphones & interpretation [4]

      X. New Business [Raising issues; not necessarily resolution] [8
      minutes]

      XI. Next Meeting/Proposals for geographic areas & venues [5]

      XII. Adjournment [20 seconds!]

      -----
      APPENDIX C - Summary of Public Comments

      This report on public comments has been prepared by the Secretary and
      is attached to the minutes for general reference. Inclusion of this
      report is no representation from the LSB or the speakers mentioned as
      to its accuracy or completeness, nor is it an endorsement of any
      content herein.

      FIRST PUBLIC COMMENT SEGMENT [13apr04lsb4.mp3, 3:00]

      Bob Linden [3:15]
      "Is KPFK Species-ist?" (sign). I've been trying to get an animal
      rights show on the air for two years and your Program Director is
      referring me to this Board. How do I get a show?

      John Doe 2 [5:00]
      "I don't know what National's doing for us." The local station tithe
      has increased from 10% to 20% since 1996 and we have little to show
      for it.

      Rafael Renteria [6:45]
      We need to apply diversity requirements to LSB committees, especially
      the Outreach Committee and the Programming Oversight Committee. How
      are these committees to be comprised?

      Dele Ailemon [7:50]
      "We need to mobilize them. We need to bring them into this process."
      Disenfranchised communities must be represented on the Outreach
      Committee.

      David Sanchez 9:50]
      "I get no response." I've submitted a proposal for "The
      Mexican-American University." What is the process for proposing a
      program?

      Lawrence Reyes [11:30]
      "There needs to be accountability to the listeners." There's no
      transparency. There are no written reports. There's no copy of the
      minutes for the listeners. Can listeners join LSB committees?
      There's a pool of LSB candidates to draw from.

      Mansour? [13:40]
      "Do we want to share power or not? Are we going to start on the right
      foot or not?" Fewer listener members are coming to LSB meetings
      because of the time wasted. We have better things to do.

      Myla Reson [15:20]
      "The listeners who voted for the Local Station Board wanted them, I
      believe, to have power to make decisions. Somebody who just comes in
      unelected and wants to serve on a committee shouldn't necessarily be
      in a position to make decisions that are being entrusted to people who
      were elected by the listeners."

      SECOND PUBLIC COMMENT SEGMENT [13apr04lsb11.mp3, 9:45]

      Margot Eiser [10:00]
      "Committees are not the ones who make the policy." Committees should
      prepare resolutions for LSB deliberation. I've suggested open-ended
      meetings to avoid the pressure of an adjournment deadline, and you
      guys should take breaks occasionally. How do listeners volunteer for
      committees?

      Myla Reson [12:10]
      Interference from Mexican station XLNC is still a big problem. The
      LSB should request a status update from the GM and see if a task force
      is needed to work on the problem.

      Learner Goude [13:25]
      "We end up spending almost as much time talking about how much time we
      can talk as we spend talking about the business that we do." Maybe
      the Structure Committee can come up with a solution to minimize the
      problem. "What we have now isn't working."

      Randy Smith [14:30]
      "Effective outreach should lead to more people from disenfranchised
      communities joining the group of 'people who are always here.'" The
      need for outreach is no excuse for delaying the expansion of
      committees to include listeners.

      Luis Garcia [15:50]
      "There's only two Mexican-Americans on this LSB board, and not enough
      African-Americans." With respect to outreach, I want to see a
      priority statement as to the nationally recognized minorities pursuant
      to the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo of 1848 and the Nine Nations
      Covenant on the Civil, Political and Economic Rights of Oppressed
      Peoples.

      Raphael Renteria [17:09]
      "We fought like the devil for grass-roots democracy." The LSB
      committees need to be open to listener participation, and they need to
      have diversity requirements.

      Lawrence Reyes [13apr04lsb12.mp3, 0:00]
      "People died in order to vote in this country." The LSB has stacked
      its committees through back-room deals. We want to be on committees
      in order to serve.

      Bob Linden [3:10]
      "Who is going to make the decision for new programs?" How does a new
      program get on? How does the programming stay vibrant? The Program
      Director says see the LSB, the LSB says see the iPC, the iPC says they
      just suggest policy. There's no accountability.

      John Doe 2 [5:11]
      "We had 120 letters back the last time the station asked about the
      station in Tijuana." We sent about 109 to the FCC. Probably
      two-thirds of those listeners are within our legal signal contour. We
      should ask listeners for more letters.

      -----
      APPENDIX D - Teller's Report and Declaration of the Chair

      Candidate and Non-Candidate Legend:

      1 = Grace Aaron
      2 = David Adelson
      3 = Sara Amir
      4 = Maria Armouian
      5 = Marie Deary
      6 = Jim DiEugenio
      7 = Nile El-Wardani
      8 = Israel Feuer
      9 = Bill Gallegos
      10 = Sherna Gluck
      11 = Jan Goodman
      12 = Terry Goodman
      13 = Jane Hallaren
      14 = Sonali Kolhatkar
      15 = Alan Minsky
      16 = Ed Pearl
      17 = Margaret Prescod
      18 = Leslie Radford
      19 = Julie Rodriguez
      20 = Madeleine Schwab
      21 = Fernando Velazquez
      22 = Donna Jo Warren
      23 = Harrison Weil
      24 = Don White

      In the following charts, the first digit is a unique number randomly
      assigned to each paper ballot. The "1.00" is the value assigned to
      each vote. The final digits are candidate numbers, in the sequence of
      their ranking on that ballot.

      PNB GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE BALLOT DATA:

      1, 1.00) 12,1
      2, 1.00) 23,8,4,12,1
      3, 1.00) 1,4,12,23,8
      4, 1.00) 23,8
      5, 1.00) 5,23
      6, 1.00) 1,23,5,12
      7, 1.00) 23,8,5
      8, 1.00) 12,1,5,8,23
      9, 1.00) 1,5,12,8
      10, 1.00) 12,8,1,5
      11, 1.00) 1,12,5,8,23
      12, 1.00) 1,4
      13, 1.00) 12,1,8,5,23
      14, 1.00) 1,5,23,12
      15, 1.00) 1,5
      16, 1.00) 23,5,1,8,12
      17, 1.00) 23,5
      18, 1.00) 1,12,8
      19, 1.00) 12,23,1,5,8
      20, 1.00) 8,12,1,23,5
      21, 1.00) 1,5,12

      PNB TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE BALLOT DATA:

      1, 1.00) 12,7
      2, 1.00) 7,21,12
      3, 1.00) 21,7,12
      4, 1.00) 20,7
      5, 1.00) 21,7
      6, 1.00) 7,12,21
      7, 1.00) 21
      8, 1.00) 7,12,21
      9, 1.00) 7,21,12
      10, 1.00) 12,7,21
      11, 1.00) 7,12,21
      12, 1.00) 12,7
      13, 1.00) 12,7,21
      14, 1.00) 12,7,21
      15, 1.00) 7
      16, 1.00) 21,7,12
      17, 1.00) 21,7
      18, 1.00) 12,21,7
      19, 1.00) 12,7,21
      20, 1.00) 7,12,21
      21, 1.00) 12,7,21

      PNB PROGRAMMING COMMITTEE BALLOT DATA:

      1, 1.00) 8,12,2,3,5
      2, 1.00) 6,8,5,3,2,7,12
      3, 1.00) 7,5,11,10,13,6,4
      4, 1.00) 5,3,11,1,2,9,10,7,6,4,12
      5, 1.00) 3,4,11,9,5,1,12,2,6
      6, 1.00) 11,10,5,7,1=2=3=4=6=8=9=12
      7, 1.00) 10,11,14,5,1,2
      8, 1.00) 1,8,2,6,10,5,3
      9, 1.00) 6,8,9,1,2
      10, 1.00) 1,8,3,6,2,12
      11, 1.00) 3,5,6,7,9,10,11,2
      12, 1.00) 4,5,10,11,2
      13, 1.00) 2,8,6,9,1
      14, 1.00) 12,9,6,3,8
      15, 1.00) 5,10,11,13
      16, 1.00) 8,6,5,11,2,1
      17, 1.00) 11,10,5,6,13,7
      18, 1.00) 8,2,9,6,12,4,1
      19, 1.00) 4,2,1,7,8,6

      PNB AUDIT COMMITTEE BALLOT DATA:

      1, 1.00) 11,12
      2, 1.00) 11,12
      3, 1.00) 11,12
      4, 1.00) 11,12
      5, 1.00) 11
      6, 1.00) 11=12
      7, 1.00) 12,11
      8, 1.00) 12,11
      9, 1.00) 11,12
      10, 1.00) 11,12
      11, 1.00) 12,11
      12, 1.00) 11
      13, 1.00) 11,12
      14, 1.00)
      15, 1.00) 11
      16, 1.00) 12,11
      17, 1.00)
      18, 1.00) 11,12
      19, 1.00) 11,12
      20, 1.00) 11,12
      21, 1.00) 11=12

      PNB EXEC DIR REVIEW COMMITTEE BALLOT DATA:

      1, 1.00) 24,11,9,10,5
      2, 1.00) 6,10,24,5,11,18
      3, 1.00) 6,9,5,24,11,10,18
      4, 1.00) 6,18
      5, 1.00) 6,18,5,11
      6, 1.00) 24,10,11,9
      7, 1.00) 18,9,6,10
      8, 1.00) 5,20,24,6,9,11,10,18
      9, 1.00) 11,24,9,5,6
      10, 1.00) 24,11,10,5,9,6
      11, 1.00) 24,10,5,11,6
      12, 1.00) 10,24
      13, 1.00) 24,11,9,5,6
      14, 1.00) 10,5,6
      15, 1.00) 24,11,10
      16, 1.00) 18,6,7,5,10,11
      17, 1.00) 18,6,5
      18, 1.00) 10,6,24,18,11,5,9
      19, 1.00) 24,11,6,10,9,18,5
      20, 1.00) 10,24,11,9,5,6
      21, 1.00) 10,11,5,24

      PNB ELECTION REVIEW COMMITTEE BALLOT DATA:

      1, 1.00) 9,1
      2, 1.00) 1,21
      3, 1.00) 9,21
      4, 1.00) 18,9
      5, 1.00) 8,21,18
      6, 1.00) 1,18,9,21
      7, 1.00) 18,21,9
      8, 1.00) 9,1,21,18
      9, 1.00) 9,1,21
      10, 1.00) 1,9
      11, 1.00) 1,21,9,18
      12, 1.00) 1
      13, 1.00) 1,9,21,18
      14, 1.00) 1,9,21,18
      15, 1.00) 1
      16, 1.00) 18,21,9,1
      17, 1.00) 18,21,9
      18, 1.00) 1,21,9,18
      19, 1.00) 9,21,1,18
      20, 1.00) 1,9,21,18
      21, 1.00) 21,9

      In the following charts, the first digit is a unique number randomly
      assigned to each paper ballot. The "1.00" is the value assigned to
      each vote. The final digits are candidate numbers, in the sequence of
      their ranking on that ballot.

      PNB COMMITTEE OF INCLUSION BALLOT DATA (DIRECTOR):

      1, 1.00) 19
      2, 1.00) 19
      3, 1.00) 19
      4, 1.00) 19
      5, 1.00) 19
      6, 1.00) 19
      7, 1.00) 19
      8, 1.00) 19
      9, 1.00) 19
      10, 1.00) 19
      11, 1.00) 19
      12, 1.00) 19
      13, 1.00) 19
      14, 1.00) 19,14
      15, 1.00) 19
      16, 1.00) 19
      17, 1.00) 19
      18, 1.00) 19
      19, 1.00) 19
      20, 1.00) 19
      21, 1.00) 19

      PNB COMMITTEE OF INCLUSION BALLOT DATA (NON-DIRECTORS):

      1, 1.00) 13,9,17
      2, 1.00) 17,13,9,5,1
      3, 1.00) 3,17,13,1
      4, 1.00) 3,17
      5, 1.00) 3,1,5,17
      6, 1.00) 1,3,17
      7, 1.00) 3,9,1,5,13
      8, 1.00) 1,3,5,17,13
      9, 1.00) 3,1,9,13,17
      10, 1.00) 17,3,9,13
      11, 1.00) 13,5,9,1,17
      12, 1.00) 3,1,17
      13, 1.00) 13,9,17,5
      14, 1.00) 3,1,17,9
      15, 1.00) 3,17,9,5,1
      16, 1.00) 5,9,17,1,13
      17, 1.00) 17,13,1
      18, 1.00) 17,5,9,3,13,1
      19, 1.00) 3,9,17,1
      20, 1.00) 1,13,9,17,3,5
      21, 1.00) 3,5,9

      PNB GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE TALLEY RESULTS:

      21 valid ballots.
      Electing 2 candidates.
      Threshold to win is 10 votes.

      Grace Aaron ELECTED -- 3rd round
      Harrison Weil ELECTED -- 3rd round
      Terry Goodman DEFEATED -- 2nd round
      Israel Feuer DEFEATED -- 1st round
      Marie Deary DEFEATED -- 1st round

      PNB TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE TALLEY RESULTS:

      21 valid ballots.
      Electing 2 candidates.
      Threshold to win is 10 votes.

      Nile El-Wardani ELECTED -- 2nd round
      Terry Goodman ELECTED -- 2nd round
      Fernando Velazquez DEFEATED -- 1st round
      Madeleine Schwab DEFEATED -- 1st round

      PNB PROGRAMMING COMMITTEE TALLEY RESULTS:

      21 valid ballots.
      Electing 2 candidates.
      Threshold to win is 10 votes.

      Maria Armouian ELECTED -- 2nd round
      Margaret Prescod ELECTED -- 3rd round
      Jane Hallaren DEFEATED -- 2nd round
      Nile El-Wardani DEFEATED -- 2nd round

      PNB AUDIT COMMITTEE TALLEY RESULTS:

      19 valid ballots.
      Electing 2 candidates.
      Threshold to win is 9 votes.
      2 invalid ballots processed.

      Jan Goodman ELECTED -- 1st round
      Terry Goodman ELECTED -- 3rd round

      PNB EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR REVIEW COMMITTEE TALLEY RESULTS:

      21 valid ballots.
      Electing 2 candidates.
      Threshold to win is 10 votes.

      Don White ELECTED -- 4th round
      Jim DiEugenio ELECTED -- 4th round
      Sherna Gluck DEFEATED -- 3rd round
      Leslie Radford DEFEATED -- 2nd round

      PNB ELECTION REVIEW COMMITTEE TALLEY RESULTS:

      21 valid ballots.
      Electing 2 candidates.
      Threshold to win is 10 votes.

      Grace Aaron ELECTED -- 1st round
      Bill Gallegos ELECTED -- 3rd round
      Leslie Radford DEFEATED -- 2nd round

      COMMITTEE OF INCLUSION (DIRECTOR) TALLEY RESULTS:

      21 valid ballots.
      Electing 1 candidate.
      Threshold to win is 21 votes.

      Julie Rodriguez ELECTED -- 1st round

      COMMITTEE OF INCLUSION (NON-DIRECTORS) TALLEY RESULTS:

      21 valid ballots.
      Electing 3 candidates.
      Threshold to win is 7 votes.

      Sara Amir ELECTED -- 1st round