My secret veggie chulent recipe

  • David Staum
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      It's actually not a full fledged recipe, just some secret ingredients.

      I usually add less potatoes & more meat substitutes, (cut up veggie burgers, lots of seitan)

      Often, instead of potatoes, I use kneidels (matzo balls).

      If you're not vegan, throw in a whole bunch of hard boiled eggs, sans shell.

      Lots of fresh garlic! (personal preference - you can leave this out if you choose)

      Here comes the part that really makes the difference:

      Instead of putting in a lot of water, I replace at least half of the water with plain soymilk. (I usually use Edensoy for this. It's pareve and more suitable than the "Silk" type products, which are too sweet.)

      For flavoring I use mushroom soup mix. Somehow this gives it a much richer flavor than the oniony flavorings people use for meat chulents.

      Throw in a whole box of onion or garlic Tam Tam crackers. They might dissolve completely but they'll give your chulent an incredibly rich flavor. Trust me!

      B'teyavon!
    • David Staum
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
        If you're unfamiliar with Tam Tam crackers, here's a link: http://www.manischewitz.com/docs/man_66.shtml