Re: protein on Pesach

  • dys1124
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
      It's been 10 1/2 months since anything's been posted on this list. I
      figured, with Pesac coming up in 1 1/2 months, it might be a good
      idea to resume the discussion we left off with, namely protein on
      Pesach. Pesach is the holiday of deprivation for Ashkenazi
      vegetarians. I think that the rabbanim who instituted kitniyot would
      probably have never intended tofu to be Assur on Pesach.

      What do you think?

      --- In koshervegetarian@yahoogroups.com, stats613@... wrote:

      > David-
      >
      > Thanks very much for your posting. I'm glad I'm not the only kosher
      > vegetarian out there who absolutely suffers from a big-time lack of
      > protein options on Pesach. Nuts, particularly almonds, I know, are
      also a
      > good source of protein by the way.
      > ____________________
      >
      > Good kosher l'pesach "power" breakfast/ snack:
      >
      > a) 1 whole wheat machine matzoh (carbs)
      > b) 1/2 of an avocado (fats)
      > c) handfull of almonds (protein)
      > ____________________
      >
      > Anyway, the article you forwarded with regard to quinoa mentions:
      > "Consumers are urged to carefully check grains before Pesach for
      > extraneous matter."
      >
      > Any idea what that means halachikally and how that is
      accomplished? This
      > question is open to anybody out there that has imput and is
      halachikally
      > sensitive.
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > Gershon
      >

      > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:56:50 -0400 "David Staum" <David@...>
      > writes:
      > Wanted to wish a chag kasher v'sameach to all and just to ask
      everyone
      > what you eat on Pesach?
      >
      > Pesach is pretty tough on an Ashkenazi vegetarian. I don't crave
      chametz
      > on Pesach - there's enough carbs packed into a thin bit of Matza
      as is.
      > What I crave is kitniyot! Almost all the protein I eat is kitniyot.
      >
      > From 1998 till last summer, I didn't eat dairy exept in miniscule
      amounts
      > as an ingredient in something else. One day last summer my wife &
      I were
      > having pizza and her cheese version looked too good and I ended up
      > having a bite. Since then, I've been eating much more cheese,
      (though I
      > still avoid plain milk). So this will be my first pesach with
      dairy in 7
      > years. I'm hoping it will help. Last year I was ready to drop by
      the 8th
      > day. (I'd been an ovo-lacto vegetarian from 1991 to 1998 before I
      dropped
      > dairy and I think it was better on Pesach then.)
      >
      > This year I'm going to the Israeli store in my neighborhood and
      buying
      > Kosher L'Pesach Chumus (for sfardim). Since it has a hechsher for
      pesach
      > there is no suspicion of it containing chametz and I can own it,
      just not
      > eat it. This way, the minute Pesach is over, I can enjoy some
      chumus.

      > I'll be surviving on lots of vegetables, quinioa (I've posted the
      > description of this amazing stuff below, for those unfamiliar with
      it)
      > and eggs.
      >
      > Any ideas for other protein rich foods that are non-kitniyot?
      >
      > Maybe I should just become sefaradi...
      >
      > David

      ------

      > http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/quinoa/
      >
      > The following article is reprinted with permission from Kashrus
      > Kurrents, Pesach, 1997 © Copyright 1997 Orthodox Jewish Council,
      Vaad
      > Hakashrus, revised 2001
      > QUINOA: THE GRAIN THAT'S NOT
      > Sara-Malka Laderman/Jacob's Ladder Farm
      > Tired of potatoes, potatoes, potatoes for Pesach? Try quinoa ("
      > Keen-Wa"), a sesame-seed-sized kernel first brought to the United
      States
      > from Chile nineteen years ago, according to Rebecca Theurer Wood.
      Quinoa
      > has been cultivated in the Andes Mountains for thousands of years,
      > growing three to six feet tall despite high altitudes, intense
      heat,
      > freezing temperatures, and as little as four inches of annual
      rainfall.
      > Peru and Bolivia maintain seed banks with 1,800 types of quinoa.
      > Quinoa was first grown outside of South America fifteen years ago,
      says
      > Wood: Steve Gorad and Don McKinley, wishing to market quinoa in the
      > United States, had commissioned a farmer to see if quinoa would
      grow in
      > the Colorado Rockies. It did.
      > Seeds range in color from pink and orange to blue-black, purple,
      and red.
      > However, once their natural saponin coating is washed off, the
      seeds are
      > pale yellow.
      > Kosher for Passover Status: Quinoa was determined to be Kosher
      L'Pesach
      > in the summer of 1996, when Rabbi Aaron Tendler, of Yeshivas Ner
      Israel,
      > brought a box of quinoa to Rabbi Blau, Dayan of the Eidah
      Hachareidus in
      > Israel. Rabbi Blau consulted with professors at the Vulcan
      Institute and
      > ruled quinoa to be Kosher L'Pesach.
      > Rabbi Blau told Rabbi Tendler that quinoa is not related to the
      five
      > types of grain, nor to millet or rice. It is, according to the
      Towson
      > Library Reference Desk, a member of the "goose foot" family, which
      > includes sugar beets and beet root. It does not grow in the
      vicinity of
      > the five types of grain. Consumers are urged to carefully check
      grains
      > before Pesach for extraneous matter.
      > Quinoa Preparation: To avoid burning the delicate kernels, pour the
      > quinoa into boiling water (twice as much water as quinoa), turn
      off the
      > flame, and cover the pot. The quinoa will continue to cook itself,
      is
      > ready in ten minutes or less, and can be served like rice. Quinoa
      is a
      > translucent dish with more calcium, iron, and protein than wheat,
      and is
      > gluten free.
      > ed. note:
      > Tip from a reader: quinoa can be very very bitter unless it is
      > thoroughly rinsed under running water.
      >

      > You can access the group page with this easy to remember web
      address:
      > www.KosherVegetarian.com - tell your friends!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Service.

    • David Staum
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2006
        I'm Orthodox, but liberal. However, even if I decided to go with a
        minority opinion that allows some kitniyot for vegetarians, my wife &
        I generally spend Pesach with family, so I couldn't bring that stuff
        into the house anyway :-/

        I'm not a vegan either, though I was one for a while. When I went back
        to dairy, Pesach became a lot easier.

        I heard that asparagus is relatively high in protein (for a
        vegetable.) Anyone know of any other vegetables that are high in
        protein?

        Of course there's always quinoa.