Sloppy JoJos in the crockpot

(44)
  • Robin Koloms
    Feb 11, 2009 Expand Messages
      Sloppy JoJos in the crockpot

      1 tbsp. veg. oil
      1 large yellow onion, diced
      1 celery stalk diced
      1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
      1 red or green pepper, seeded and diced
      2 tsps. chili powder
      1/2 tsp. allspice
      1-1/2 cups brown lentils, rinsed (not red lentils)
      14-1/2 oz diced tomatoes (I use muir glen fire roasted, if I have
      them)
      3 cups water or vegetable broth
      2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce or tamari or braggs
      1 tbsp. prepared yellow or brown mustard
      1 tbsp. sugar to cut the acid
      1 tsp. salt or to taste and add at the end of cooking.
      Fresh pepper to taste (I use cayenne pepper)

      Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onion, celery, jalapeno
      pepper, and red or green pepper and chili powder for a few minutes
      until onion and celery are tender but still firm. Transfer then
      mixture to the crockpot. Add the lentils, tomatoes, water, soy sauce,
      mustard and sugar. Add pepper. Stir. Add the salt at the end, this
      keeps the lentils from taking long to cook and becoming tough. Cover
      the crockpot, set it on low and cook for 7-8 hours. Or 1 hr on high
      and 6-7 on low. Serve on wheat buns and have a lot of napkins!

      Robin in Chicago