Re: [KosherVegetarian] protein on Pesach

(28)
  • stats613@juno.com
    Apr 21 7:58 AM Expand Messages
      David-

      Thanks very much for your posting. I'm glad I'm not the only kosher vegetarian out there who absolutely suffers from a big-time lack of protein options on Pesach. Nuts, particularly almonds, I know, are also a good source of protein by the way.
      ____________________

      Good kosher l'pesach "power" breakfast/ snack:

      a) 1 whole wheat machine matzoh  (carbs)
      b) 1/2 of an avocado  (fats)
      c) handfull of almonds  (protein)
      ____________________

      Anyway, the article you forwarded with regard to quinoa mentions: "Consumers are urged to carefully check grains before Pesach for extraneous matter."

      Any idea what that means halachikally and how that is accomplished? This question is open to anybody out there that has imput and is halachikally sensitive.

      thanks,

      Gershon

      On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:56:50 -0400 "David Staum" <David@...> writes:
      Wanted to wish a chag kasher v'sameach to all and just to ask everyone what you eat on Pesach?

      Pesach is pretty tough on an Ashkenazi vegetarian. I don't crave chametz on Pesach - there's enough carbs packed into a thin bit of Matza as is. What I crave is kitniyot! Almost all the protein I eat is kitniyot.

      From 1998 till last summer, I didn't eat dairy exept in miniscule amounts as an ingredient in something else. One day last summer my wife & I were having pizza and her  cheese version looked too good and I ended up having a bite. Since then, I've been eating much more cheese, (though I still avoid plain milk). So this will be my first pesach with dairy in 7 years. I'm hoping it will help. Last year I was ready to drop by the 8th day. (I'd been an ovo-lacto vegetarian from 1991 to 1998 before I dropped dairy and I think it was better on Pesach then.)

      This year I'm going to the Israeli store in my neighborhood and buying Kosher L'Pesach Chumus (for sfardim). Since it has a hechsher for pesach there is no suspicion of it containing chametz and I can own it, just not eat it. This way, the minute Pesach is over, I can enjoy some chumus.

      I'll be surviving on lots of vegetables, quinioa (I've posted the description of this amazing stuff below, for those unfamiliar with it) and eggs.

      Any ideas for other protein rich foods that are non-kitniyot?

      Maybe I should just become sefaradi...

      David

       The following article is reprinted with permission from Kashrus Kurrents, Pesach, 1997 © Copyright 1997 Orthodox Jewish Council, Vaad Hakashrus, revised 2001

      QUINOA: THE GRAIN THAT'S NOT

      Sara-Malka Laderman/Jacob's Ladder Farm

      Tired of potatoes, potatoes, potatoes for Pesach? Try quinoa (" Keen-Wa"), a sesame-seed-sized kernel first brought to the United States from Chile nineteen years ago, according to Rebecca Theurer Wood. Quinoa has been cultivated in the Andes Mountains for thousands of years, growing three to six feet tall despite high altitudes, intense heat, freezing temperatures, and as little as four inches of annual rainfall. Peru and Bolivia maintain seed banks with 1,800 types of quinoa.

      Quinoa was first grown outside of South America fifteen years ago, says Wood: Steve Gorad and Don McKinley, wishing to market quinoa in the United States, had commissioned a farmer to see if quinoa would grow in the Colorado Rockies. It did.

      Seeds range in color from pink and orange to blue-black, purple, and red. However, once their natural saponin coating is washed off, the seeds are pale yellow.

      Kosher for Passover Status: Quinoa was determined to be Kosher L'Pesach in the summer of 1996, when Rabbi Aaron Tendler, of Yeshivas Ner Israel, brought a box of quinoa to Rabbi Blau, Dayan of the Eidah Hachareidus in Israel. Rabbi Blau consulted with professors at the Vulcan Institute and ruled quinoa to be Kosher L'Pesach.

      Rabbi Blau told Rabbi Tendler that quinoa is not related to the five types of grain, nor to millet or rice. It is, according to the Towson Library Reference Desk, a member of the "goose foot" family, which includes sugar beets and beet root. It does not grow in the vicinity of the five types of grain. Consumers are urged to carefully check grains before Pesach for extraneous matter.

      Quinoa Preparation: To avoid burning the delicate kernels, pour the quinoa into boiling water (twice as much water as quinoa), turn off the flame, and cover the pot. The quinoa will continue to cook itself, is ready in ten minutes or less, and can be served like rice. Quinoa is a translucent dish with more calcium, iron, and protein than wheat, and is gluten free.
      ed. note:
      Tip from a reader:  quinoa can be very  very bitter unless it is thoroughly rinsed under running water.

      You can access the group page with this easy to remember web address: www.KosherVegetarian.com - tell your friends!

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic