Re: Digest Number 32

  • creekree@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      hello again!

      > I'm kinda trying to make mine look more modern - hence the red paint
      job etc. ; )
      yeah, red is a damn fine color!
      how did you manage to preserve the inscriptions (is that the right
      word?) on top of the poly? (you know..... where the parameters are
      written..... all of them....the scale of the volume knob etc....)
      if you just sprayed it they would sure be gone.... if you covered them
      with tape or something similar it would not look very good... (i
      think, at least) -> got a photo?
      or did you apply completely new writings? how?
      i am thinking of repainting mine as well (you know, there is something
      about the poly that makes it look so .... dunno.... BONTEMPI?)
      ok, one might argue that that´s just the way the poly looks, but given
      that there are at least five knobs and two switches that can be added,
      the parameter-section would sure give enough place for that. so i
      would make new writings in a different style (to make it look more
      modern, as you said)

      > The noise doesn't seem like it would be very useful either. I don't
      know in what
      > situation you'd want to fade noise in and out... maybe at the end of
      a song, fade to a
      > full "end of transmision" static...?

      yeah definitely!

      > PS. Out of interest - does anyone know if DCO means the actual
      oscillators are digital,
      > or are they analog oscillators being digitally controlled??

      the manual says on page 13 that they are digitally controlled.

      regards, christian
    • Scott Nordlund
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        >PS. Out of interest - does anyone know if DCO means the actual
        >oscillators are digital, or are they analog oscillators being >digitally
        >controlled??

        DCO can mean several different things....it can mean a digital clock signal
        sent to analog circuits to create the waveform (I think the Juno works like
        this), it can mean digital waves that come from wavetables( PPG), or it can
        mean the waves are digitally synthesized within the chip (SID chip). I
        think the Poly 800 is the last type. As far as I know, the chip is only
        capable of making square waves so the Poly 800 only roughly approximates the
        saw wave. They sure cut a lot of corners but the result is a pretty
        interesting synth. Also I think the DCO chip was also used in some 80's
        arcade games.

      • Ian Tindale
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          >PS.  Out of interest - does anyone know if DCO means the actual
          >oscillators are digital, or are they analog oscillators being >digitally
          >controlled??

          DCO can mean several different things....it can mean a digital clock signal
          sent to analog circuits to create the waveform (I think the Juno works like
          this), it can mean digital waves that come from wavetables( PPG), or it can
          mean the waves are digitally synthesized within the chip (SID chip).

          Another option - a normal analogue oscillator which doesn't so much have a voltage controlled input stage, so much as a 'ladder' digital to analogue converter, whereby say 8 bits are used to select resistance sums, the resulting voltage through which governs the centre frequency of the oscillator.