Poly 800 mk1 overdrive mod

  • gixxer1052
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
      Hi eveyone, I'm new to the group.

      I picked up a poly 800 mk1 in good condition cheap and I'm currently undertaking the filter, FM, audio in mods ... amongst others via circuit benders.co.uk instructions :)

      I used to own one for a short while back in the late 80's and loved it , I didn't really understand the limitations back then and remember getting some great pad & bass sounds.

      I have a question I really hope someone can assist with.

      I'd love to fit a spare overdrive pedal board I have into the synth. I've seen this done once on youtube by this guy with the creepv voice:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5i0g_7Ym0A

      basically he's soldered in the overdrive into the chorus circuit.

      I'm handy with a soldering iron and have the schematics, but I'm afraid my electronics training was last in 1987 so most of it has leaked from my brain.

      Could somebody possibly tell me how i could do this mod? I've message the youtube user but he's hasn't responded, also how would I retain the stereo or split L/R mono, as it's going into a stereo reverb/delay unit.

      Any help would be hugely appreciated!

      Cheers,

      Kev
    • Gordon JC Pearce
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
        On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:24:22PM -0000, gixxer1052 wrote:
        > I'm handy with a soldering iron and have the schematics, but I'm afraid my electronics training was last in 1987 so most of it has leaked from my brain.

        Practice your soldering on something you can afford to replace! Don't leap in and start hacking away at your beloves Poly 800 until you are confident in your ability to solder and desolder stuff without screwing things up beyond all hope of repair.

        I just can't say this often enough, and yet still I get folk coming up to me with stuff that looks like it's been soldered with a red hot breadknife and saying "uh yeah it wasn't sounding right and I recapped it and now it doesn't work". Don't be that guy. That guy is a dick.

        How do you get practice? Well, maybe you should build some kits? Oh, I know! Why not build some distortion pedal clones on veroboard? You can never have too many fuzzboxes. You need *more* fuzzboxes. Get building. Your first ones might suck a bit, but that's probably fine too. Use them for things that need to suck. It worked for Throbbing Gristle, right?

        > Could somebody possibly tell me how i could do this mod? I've message the youtube user but he's hasn't responded, also how would I retain the stereo or split L/R mono, as it's going into a stereo reverb/delay unit.

        There are a couple of ways to approach this. Chorusers work well on stuff with lots of upper partials - nice bright noises that it can comb filter away at. A good way to generate lots of harmonics is to clip the signal - with a fuzzbox! So, one way to do it would be to insert your fuzzbox between the synth board and the input of the choruser board. This would probably give you the most musically- and sonically-useful setup.

        You could tap the distortion into the output of the choruser, but then you'd need two. You might get some interesting effects by distorting one side more than the other, and maybe mixing them back together in some proportion.

        Let us know how it works out for you ;-)

        --
        Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
      • Jason Adkins
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
          20 Jazz Funk Greats is a brilliant album by Throbbing Gristle can't remember too much "fuzz-box" on that one ;)

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
            Hi,

            thanks for the reply,

            I'm not 'too' bad at soldering, I repair phones, laptop dc power jacks etc on a fairly regular basis as part of my job but yeah you're right, I'll practice a bit more before I tackle this and building a clone is a great idea! :)

            Ahh yes of course, tap in prior to the chorus board, following the video I read his description as that he'd replace the chorus circuit with overdrive (possibly as his chorus was dead) but your thoughts make much more sense. My question on this bit is.... which point do I tap into, I've had a look at the circuit diagrams but can't make it out. which wires to tap into on the loom to the chorus board would be a huge help.

            Thanks again, I'll keep updates coming and post some piccies up as I tackle it.

            Great forum, I'm glad the poly isn't being berated as it seems to be on most forums out there!!

            p.s have you seen this young guy's stuff, get's some great sounds with a stock poly mk1 (vid gets better as it goes along)

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhXTKiAbmow

            --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...> wrote:

            > On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:24:22PM -0000, gixxer1052 wrote:
            > > I'm handy with a soldering iron and have the schematics, but I'm afraid my electronics training was last in 1987 so most of it has leaked from my brain.
            >
            > Practice your soldering on something you can afford to replace! Don't leap in and start hacking away at your beloves Poly 800 until you are confident in your ability to solder and desolder stuff without screwing things up beyond all hope of repair.
            >
            > I just can't say this often enough, and yet still I get folk coming up to me with stuff that looks like it's been soldered with a red hot breadknife and saying "uh yeah it wasn't sounding right and I recapped it and now it doesn't work". Don't be that guy. That guy is a dick.
            >
            > How do you get practice? Well, maybe you should build some kits? Oh, I know! Why not build some distortion pedal clones on veroboard? You can never have too many fuzzboxes. You need *more* fuzzboxes. Get building. Your first ones might suck a bit, but that's probably fine too. Use them for things that need to suck. It worked for Throbbing Gristle, right?
            >
            > > Could somebody possibly tell me how i could do this mod? I've message the youtube user but he's hasn't responded, also how would I retain the stereo or split L/R mono, as it's going into a stereo reverb/delay unit.
            >
            > There are a couple of ways to approach this. Chorusers work well on stuff with lots of upper partials - nice bright noises that it can comb filter away at. A good way to generate lots of harmonics is to clip the signal - with a fuzzbox! So, one way to do it would be to insert your fuzzbox between the synth board and the input of the choruser board. This would probably give you the most musically- and sonically-useful setup.
            >
            > You could tap the distortion into the output of the choruser, but then you'd need two. You might get some interesting effects by distorting one side more than the other, and maybe mixing them back together in some proportion.
            >
            > Let us know how it works out for you ;-)
            >
            > --
            > Gordonjcp MM0YEQ

          • Jason Adkins
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
              The Poly 800 mk1 is a great machine, one of the worlds top ten best selling synths of all time,probably top 5,i have the EX-800 module which is the same thing but not as nice to use.
              Anyway if you modify the Poly 800 too much it ceases to be a Poly 800 anymore doesn't it? def do not get rid of the chorus you can overdrive it with a guitar pedal/mixer/multi-fx

              On 17 Jun 2013, at 00:48, gixxer1052 wrote:

> [...]

              > There are a couple of ways to approach this. Chorusers work well on stuff with lots of upper partials - nice bright noises that it can comb filter away at. A good way to generate lots of harmonics is to clip the signal - with a fuzzbox! So, one way to do it would be to insert your fuzzbox between the synth board and the input of the choruser board. This would probably give you the most musically- and sonically-useful setup.
              >
              > You could tap the distortion into the output of the choruser, but then you'd need two. You might get some interesting effects by distorting one side more than the other, and maybe mixing them back together in some proportion.
              >
              > Let us know how it works out for you ;-)

            • gixxer1052
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
                I know & appreciate what you're saying, and normally I wouldn't start modding an analogue, hybrid or not, and I've owned a fair few over the years.

                I got this cheap and as I'm already modding it for the filter, FM, 12db mods etc then why not. As mentioned I'm not thinking of taking the chorus out I just want to tap in before it really and as there's loads of space inside I can mount an overdrive board.

                because it's generally cheap it does have some excellent mods which to be honest sound like they improve it a lot and I don't believe really destroy any value as such.

                ...and anyway.... I need a project now that I have kids and don't get out playing much ;)

                --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Jason Adkins <jason_ralf808@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > retain the stereo or split L/R mono, as it's going into a stereo
                > > reverb/delay unit.
                > > >
                > > > There are a couple of ways to approach this. Chorusers work well
                > > on stuff with lots of upper partials - nice bright noises that it
                > > can comb filter away at. A good way to generate lots of harmonics is
                > > to clip the signal - with a fuzzbox! So, one way to do it would be
                > > to insert your fuzzbox between the synth board and the input of the
                > > choruser board. This would probably give you the most musically- and
                > > sonically-useful setup.
                > > >
                > > > You could tap the distortion into the output of the choruser, but
                > > then you'd need two. You might get some interesting effects by
                > > distorting one side more than the other, and maybe mixing them back
                > > together in some proportion.
                > > >
                > > > Let us know how it works out for you ;-)

              • Jason Adkins
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
                  How cheap is cheap? I payed £210 for my EX-800 with original manual,yeah I know I'm an idiot Doh! (I was desperate for an analogue synth at the time DCO or VCO with midi)
                  Actually.I agree with you thinking about it,(sadly you I doubt you can mod the EX-800 much coz ain't got the space in case,like your keyboard version) and anything that keeps you interested in electronic music now you have ankle-biters is a good thing,will love to hear it when you have finished modding it.

                • Gordon JC Pearce
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
                    On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:10:36AM +0100, Jason Adkins wrote:
                    > How cheap is cheap? I payed £210 for my EX-800 with original
                    > manual,yeah I know I'm an idiot Doh! (I was desperate for an
                    > analogue synth at the time DCO or VCO with midi)

                    I hate to say it, but you could have bought a couple of second-hand A-stations or a new `Xiosynth for that kind of money ;-) Yes, it's not analogue, but it *is* subtractive and it's a lot of synth for the money.

                    I bet it would be easy enough to make EX800 clones, you'd just need to roll up a CPLD with the divider chain in it.

                    --
                    Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
                  • gixxer1052
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
                      I payed £100 for mine inc original box, manuals + quality flight case, not mega cheap (I've heard of people picking up poly's for £10 from charity shops) but they all seem to go for around the £200 mark on ebay these days.

                      The A station & xiosynth are cracking little VA's, I do like novations (I've owned those before and still have a KS4), although the flimsy build quality of the xio makes the poly800 feel like a tank heh.