Re: New display...? [1 Attachment]

  • JB
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27, 2013
      g'day guys!

      recently i've been playing with 3d printing, and was considering modelling up the poly800 knob to print some out for my korgs.

      an LCD display could be a fairly straightforward printed object, much like these

      http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32629

      http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32978

      theres also some funky smoothing processes that can be used with acetone to smooth out the visibility of the stratas in printed ABS parts..

      let me know if theres a mount or box you need to have modelled and test printed, the resulting file could then be reproduced as required on a 3d printer

      Cheers!

      JBFromOZ
    • bimmerfan222
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27, 2013
        > Question: If we did do such a thing, what controls would everyone want....

        I'd recommend looking at the interface Mutable Instruments Shruthi implements.

        http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1zHRPTZH7B0/TzZUV_LBg3I/AAAAAAAAANE/lPglGaVH6-U/s1600/DSCN1183.JPG

        Maybe reduce it down to one encoder with push down switch, 3 pots and 4 switches.
        You'd make the OEM switches navigate the LCD menu to, right?

        I'd think you could create a tidy editor/realtime controls with re-assignable pots/encoder via soft labels so you had pages of groups like-

        Cutoff Resonance VCF Env. Depth (show as CtOff Res EnvDp)

        LFO1 Rate LFO1 Depth LFO1 Delay (show as L1Rt L1DP L1DL)
      • k9k9dog
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 28, 2013
          hang on: why not just integrate with a Novation Remote mk1:
          you get a shedload of knobs and faders, 2 LCDs, and they
          go for reasonable second hand price.
          Mike: does it work with the Remote?

          the oscillator could be a more important/interesting thing
          to focus on, if it could be made to xmod etc.

          i picked up a cheap Novation remote zero SL mk1, and it could
          pretty much sit in a rack ( i feel like building it a new alu
          case), it seems perfect for this sort of thing (can load 40
          user device maps, be programmed via PC/Mac, and making it send
          sysex is as simple as inputting the sysex format with a variable
          byte. it does nrpns, cc, and all that stuff, and everybody needs
          one :) )

          --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "bimmerfan222" <bperkins211@...> wrote:

          > > Question: If we did do such a thing, what controls would everyone want....
          >

          > I'd recommend looking at the interface Mutable Instruments Shruthi implements.
          >
          > http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1zHRPTZH7B0/TzZUV_LBg3I/AAAAAAAAANE/lPglGaVH6-U/s1600/DSCN1183.JPG
          >

          > Maybe reduce it down to one encoder with push down switch, 3 pots and 4 switches.
          > You'd make the OEM switches navigate the LCD menu to, right?
          >
          > I'd think you could create a tidy editor/realtime controls with re-assignable pots/encoder via soft labels so you had pages of groups like-
          >
          > Cutoff Resonance VCF Env. Depth (show as CtOff Res EnvDp)
          >
          > LFO1 Rate LFO1 Depth LFO1 Delay (show as L1Rt L1DP L1DL)

        • Michael Hawkins
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28, 2013
            I tend to agree. I have a MK1 Remote SL 25 and it is wonderful with a HAWK'ed Poly.

            What is really cool is that I have two templates for the HAWK. One for doing everything and one for modifying all three EG's at once.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 28, 2013
              nice units.

              whats a fair price for one?

              I get along alright with a GUI control..
              the one I use can fetch all parameter "snapshot" values and set all the knobs/sliders and drop/menu boxes(waveform/modulator names, etc.) to their appropriate values everytime you change the patch.

              Mike, I'd rather see the arp working than the LCD/xtra knobs.