Hawk-800 / Atomahawk Preset Query

  • Dave Mooney
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012

      Hi, I bought a Hawk-800 and Atomahawk mod in July and just received my modified poly-800 mk1 back from the synth technician yesterday. I've run into a couple of issues and I’m just looking for advice on what to do.

      When I got the poly-800 back yesterday I could get sound from it and move between the patches. Many of the patches sounded good though others featured heavy fm and thinking that patch bank installed by the synth tech may have been the fm-800 patch bank, I sought to install the other patch banks.

      I found when I tried to reload all the patch bank sysex files to the 4 patch banks using  tools mode --> patch mode the display changes to PATCHL but then doesn't change from that. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or what I might try to get around this?

      The second issue is that I want to re-install the original factory patch library from the mk1 or mk2. Is this possible using the mk2 or ex800 sysex files? As in provided I figure out why I cannot upload patches, should it then be possible to upload the mk-2 or ex-800 sysex patch dumps to restore the factory presets on my modified mk1?

      Cheers

      Dave

    • Michael Hawkins
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
        Dave,

        Q: I found when I tried to reload all the patch bank sysex files to the 4 patch banks using  tools mode --> patch mode the display changes to PATCHL but then doesn't change from that. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or what I might try to get around this?

        A: Check that you're not sending spurious MIDI data along with the sysex. HAWK doesn't like that. What make and model MIDI interface are you using? Are you using Windows XP? It has a bad MIDI driver.

        Q: The second issue is that I want to re-install the original factory patch library from the mk1 or mk2. Is this possible using the mk2 or ex800 sysex files? As in provided I figure out why I cannot upload patches, should it then be possible to upload the mk-2 or ex-800 sysex patch dumps to restore the factory presets on my modified mk1?

        A: Follow the instructions in the owners manual very carefully. You cannot send the EX-800 or MK2 sysex dumps too fast to the HAWK. It will choke.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2012
          Hey Mike,

          Thanks for getting back to me. Okay so the first issue was solved by getting a new midi interface. My AKAI MPK 25 wasn't sending sysex properly for some reason so i got an M-Audio midisport and it did the trick so i'm able to send the patch banks over to the poly-800 and receieve "Good" messages. I didn't realise there were differences between MIDI interfaces in terms of kind of message they could send properly but apparently there is........ anyway thanks your advice helped solve that problem.

          Second issue however is stil unresolved. Whether it's that the source sysex file im using is wrong or something else I'm not sure but im getting 'error2' messages when i try to send the sysex files i have. You had a discussion with a guy in 2009 (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/korgpolyex/message/3927) in which you link to a file that appears to work however the link is dead now. Could you repost that file if possible so i could try use that. I've configured MIDI-OX to run with 128-bit buffers, 64 of them with a delay of 2000ms between them, but from the very first moment i start to send the messages I get the error message. Is it definitely possible to send MK2 or EX-800 dumps to a Modified Mark 1? Thanks a million!

          Cheers
          Dave

          On 2 September 2012 18:50, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

          Dave,

          Q: I found when I tried to reload all the patch bank sysex files to the 4 patch banks using  tools mode --> patch mode the display changes to PATCHL but then doesn't change from that. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or what I might try to get around this?

          A: Check that you're not sending spurious MIDI data along with the sysex. HAWK doesn't like that. What make and model MIDI interface are you using? Are you using Windows XP? It has a bad MIDI driver.

          Q: The second issue is that I want to re-install the original factory patch library from the mk1 or mk2. Is this possible using the mk2 or ex800 sysex files? As in provided I figure out why I cannot upload patches, should it then be possible to upload the mk-2 or ex-800 sysex patch dumps to restore the factory presets on my modified mk1?

          A: Follow the instructions in the owners manual very carefully. You cannot send the EX-800 or MK2 sysex dumps too fast to the HAWK. It will choke.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2012
            I am guessing that you're trying to use Tools mode to receive the EX-800 or MK2 sysex dump. That would of course make some sense and indeed I intend to rewrite the code to do just that but at the moment you send the EX-800 and MK2 dumps to the HAWK while in normal operating mode ("11 P").

            Give that a go. And yes, the owners manual is a little confusing on that issue. But the good news is that when I make the change to put it into Tools mode the operating will be much better at handling the bulk dumps.

            Mike

            --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Dave Mooney <dave.e.mooney@...> wrote:

            > Hey Mike,
            >
            > Thanks for getting back to me. Okay so the first issue was solved by
            > getting a new midi interface. My AKAI MPK 25 wasn't sending sysex properly
            > for some reason so i got an M-Audio midisport and it did the trick so i'm
            > able to send the patch banks over to the poly-800 and receieve "Good"
            > messages. I didn't realise there were differences between MIDI interfaces
            > in terms of kind of message they could send properly but apparently there
            > is........ anyway thanks your advice helped solve that problem.
            >
            > Second issue however is stil unresolved. Whether it's that the source sysex
            > file im using is wrong or something else I'm not sure but im getting
            > 'error2' messages when i try to send the sysex files i have. You had a
            > discussion with a guy in 2009 (
            > http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/korgpolyex/message/3927) in which you
            > link to a file that appears to work however the link is dead now. Could you
            > repost that file if possible so i could try use that. I've configured
            > MIDI-OX to run with 128-bit buffers, 64 of them with a delay of 2000ms
            > between them, but from the very first moment i start to send the messages I
            > get the error message. Is it definitely possible to send MK2 or EX-800
            > dumps to a Modified Mark 1? Thanks a million!
            >
            > Cheers
            > Dave
            >

            > On 2 September 2012 18:50, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Dave,
            > >
            > > Q: I found when I tried to reload all the patch bank sysex files to the 4
            > > patch banks using tools mode --> patch mode the display changes to PATCHL
            > > but then doesn't change from that. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong
            > > or what I might try to get around this?
            > >
            > > A: Check that you're not sending spurious MIDI data along with the sysex.
            > > HAWK doesn't like that. What make and model MIDI interface are you using?
            > > Are you using Windows XP? It has a bad MIDI driver.
            > >
            > > Q: The second issue is that I want to re-install the original factory
            > > patch library from the mk1 or mk2. Is this possible using the mk2 or ex800
            > > sysex files? As in provided I figure out why I cannot upload patches,
            > > should it then be possible to upload the mk-2 or ex-800 sysex patch dumps
            > > to restore the factory presets on my modified mk1?
            > >
            > > A: Follow the instructions in the owners manual very carefully. You cannot
            > > send the EX-800 or MK2 sysex dumps too fast to the HAWK. It will choke.
            > >
            > > Mike
            > >
            > > ------------------------------

          • Dave Mooney
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2012
              Cheers Mike,

              I've just tried what you said and have gotten better results however I am still having issues:

              If I set the sysex at the levels suggested in the manual I get "crash" and the synth reboots. When set slower again to 64 X 8-byte buffers with 2000ms delay between them i get one of the following numbers cycling on the display every 5-10 seconds:

              • {12,11,13,23,13,24,13,23,21,23,24,21,14,23,21,13,11,12,23,28,11,16,11,13,28,11,28,15,28,11,28.13,28,11,24,11,22,28,11,28,11,28,11,12,28,11,18,16,11,14,16,12,11,18,26,11,12,15,11,27,17,25,24,21,18,12,15,11….etc}

              There is no sysex output from the synth after all has been sent, so im not sure if the patch are properly copied. When i reboot the synth many of these factory patches are working however many are not also some seem to have fm applied?

              • 16,17 are noise
              • 22-26 are silent
              • 35-36 are just noise
              • 37 is an LFO filter
              • 38 is noise
              • 43 is almost silent
              • 44 is silent
              • 45 is silent
              • 51 is noise
              • 54 is noise
              • 56 is noise
              • 57 is noise
              • 58 is noise
              • 61 is noise
              • 62 is almost silent
              • 63 is silent
              • 64 is silent
              • 72 is sound with a lots random noise over the top
              • 73 is silent
              • 74 sounds like it has fm applied?
              • 83 sounds like it has fm applied?
              • 85 is again noise
              • 86 sounds like it has fm applied?
              • 88 more noise

              Any ideas what could be causing this problem or could you suggest a way to proceed from here? Also just to clarify only the 4 banks of patches available from sourceforge are to be installed using the Tools>patch mode and only Poly-800mk1/EX-800 sysex dumps are sent in normal operating mode right? Thanks again Mike!

              Regards

              Dave

            • Michael Hawkins
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2012
                I assume you're running the latest boot version 1.95 and software version 2.53 - correct?

                If not, you should upgrade.

                I just tested my own Poly using MIDI-OX. When an original sysex dump is received in full the HAWK will output F0 42 21 7E 01 01 F7 . If you don't get that, then your HAWK did not receive the syx dump intact.

                I used Low Level Output Buffers of size 256 and number of them 64 with 10 milliseconds between buffers.

                64 x 8 byte buffers is just not big enough.

                You certainly should not be seeing numbers all over the displays, that makes no sense at all.

              • Dave Mooney
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2012

                  Hi Mike,

                  I’m running boot version 1.95. I thought I had the latest software v2.53 but I couldn't be sure, the synth technician I got to install the hardware installed the software. So as per your advice reinstalling the software fixed the issue although it was not straightforward due to issues I encountered with midi-ox.

                  I put the synth into flash mode and then tried installing eprom0 but got an error1 message. This was with midi-ox on a pc with the settings described in the manual. No other programs running and no other devices using the midi port. Thinking I might have an incomplete previous installation I tried picking up the installation with EPROM files 2 & 3, however I was still getting error1 messages.

                  At this point I thought to try using Sysex librarian on the mac with the following settings (pauses between message 1sec, transmission speed 9% of 3125 bit/second). I could get a good message for each of the sysex files but at this point I wasn't really sure if I had reinstalled everything correctly--I thought I might have simply been overwriting previous section of code but the synth booted okay so I just continued on.

                  At this point I tried to load both a Mk2 sysex dump and an EX-800 sysex dump. I loaded the first to patch bank one and the second to patch bank two using the exact same settings in SysexLibrarian. As they were sending the display was just showing 11p with some mild flickering which I took as feedback that it was receiving the sysex dump okay. Using MIDI Monitor (also available from the sysex librarian page) I was able to monitor for a confirmation message from the synth which I received and which was the same as yours:

                  F0 42 21 7E 01 01 F7

                  I have no dud patches anymore now and everything seems to be working well. In short I think maybe I had a corrupted installation of the software, which was fixed by reinstalling all the software (not necessarily the boot software) from the start. I couldn’t do this with midi-ox at all (though obviously you could) but Sysex Librarian can also do the job with the above settings.

                  I have one final question, are the patches in the ex-800 sysex dump and the mk2 dump different to each other and indeed different to those on the tape for the mk1? For example on the mk1 I remember patch number 57 was a chime-y percussive piano sound whereas in the mk2 bank it sound like a kind of lush percussive square wave sound and in the ex-800 bank it’s kind of percussive square wave sound again. Is there a great deal of differences between the factory banks for the three versions (mk1/mk2/ex800) of the synth?

                  Mike finally just want to say a big thank you for all your help. I’m delighted to have my poly-800 back working and with features added by the mods it’s certainly a more useable and powerful synth so cheers really.

                  Regards
                  Dave

                  Sent: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 4:28 PM

> [...]

                  > > patch banks using tools mode --> patch mode the display changes to PATCHL
                  > > but then doesn't change from that. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong
                  > > or what I might try to get around this?
                  > >
                  > > A: Check that you're not sending spurious MIDI data along with the sysex.
                  > > HAWK doesn't like that. What make and model MIDI interface are you using?
                  > > Are you using Windows XP? It has a bad MIDI driver.
                  > >
                  > > Q: The second issue is that I want to re-install the original factory
                  > > patch library from the mk1 or mk2. Is this possible using the mk2 or ex800
                  > > sysex files? As in provided I figure out why I cannot upload patches,
                  > > should it then be possible to upload the mk-2 or ex-800 sysex patch dumps
                  > > to restore the factory presets on my modified mk1?
                  > >
                  > > A: Follow the instructions in the owners manual very carefully. You cannot
                  > > send the EX-800 or MK2 sysex dumps too fast to the HAWK. It will choke.

                • Michael Hawkins
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2012
                    The EX-800 and Poly-800 (original PS-800) have the same patches and sequencer in the default sysex dump. The MK2 is quite different.

                    Glad you got it all working.

                    Sent: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 4:28 PM