Problems with the Poly 800-II

  • Kenny <kenny@foreverinblack.fsnet.co.uk>
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hi,

      I have just purchased a Poly 800-II. It didn't have a manual (But I
      hope to have one very soon), but I have managed to get a very small
      manual for the original poly.

      I got it today, and set it all up to the PC, However, It sounds
      Terrible. Lots of 'Hiss/Feedback/duff notes.
      There doesn't seem to be much wrong with oit itself, I think it just
      needs the sounds setting up correctly.

      Any advice ? How do I get the synth to go back to it;s default
      settings ?

      Any help will be more than welcome.

      Regards

      Kenny
    • Bovadikov, Peter [NCSUS]
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2003
        RE: [korgpolyex] Problems with the Poly 800-II

        Sounds like you need to load the presets. Go to this link...

        http://members.bluefrognet.net/~rlsnuffy/poly800/

      • OlGu
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2003
          Hi Kenny,

          that sounds as if your Poly has lost its memory and may need a backup
          battery.
          Just search within this forum for "battery" posts.
          You can feed sounds in your synth using the files you can find in the files
          section here, just be patient while working on it.

          But maybe you have to do this again when you switched off your device
          again....

          Hope it helps; enjoy the great sound (try out the filter modification!)

          Olaf

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2003
            Hi Olaf,

            The person that I bought it off said that the internal battery had
            just been replaced.

            I had a quick look in the files section, but could only find sounds
            for the original poly ! I will look again when I have refreshed my
            head ! ;) Been ripping my hair out today since the synth
            arrived ! lol

            Thanks for the advice ;)

            Kenny

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Kenny <kenny@foreverinblack.fsnet.co.uk>
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2003
              Hi,

              Thanks to everyone for the advice...when my head is a little clearer
              I will take it all onboard !

              Think I will try and load the set 1 set 2 and custom patched in
              first to see if that helps.

              Thanks once again :)

              Kenny
            • Mike Nelson
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2003
                Hi,

                There seems to be a bug in the sysex tranfer firmware
                that causes the last parameters (which are actually
                global) to be set outside their normal limits whenever
                transfers are done. If you go to the paras. 85 through
                88 and the numbers are too high or even hieroglyphics,
                you need to use the down button to return each one to
                'legal' limits. Then it should work OK. You may have
                to turn the Poly off and back on too.

                Good luck!
                the manicmaestro

                ps no,MkI patches will not work in the MkII.
                --- "Kenny <kenny@...>"
                <kenny@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I have just purchased a Poly 800-II. It didn't have
                > a manual (But I
                > hope to have one very soon), but I have managed to
                > get a very small
                > manual for the original poly.
                >
                > I got it today, and set it all up to the PC,
                > However, It sounds
                > Terrible. Lots of 'Hiss/Feedback/duff notes.
                > There doesn't seem to be much wrong with oit itself,
                > I think it just
                > needs the sounds setting up correctly.
                >
                > Any advice ? How do I get the synth to go back to
                > it;s default
                > settings ?
                >
                > Any help will be more than welcome.
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Kenny

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • Kenny
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                  Hi Again,
                  Can anyone give me Step By Step instructions how to reload the
                  original sounds using the SYX files ?
                  Now this might make me sound thick, and I might be overlooking
                  something really simple, but try as I may I just can't get any
                  patches to load properly.
                  I have tried using SysEx! V1.0 & also tried Sysexbox, using one of
                  the following : Custom.syx Poly8001.syx Poly8002.syx.

                  Iy seems to upload them alright - the display on the keyboard goes
                  off while the file is transfering, but the patches just don't
                  change...and the ones I have sound naff.

                  I am currently using a bog standard Soundblaster live 5.1 with a
                  midi cable plugged into the game/midi port in the back of the
                  computer. Midi settings in SysEx! for transfer both in and out are
                  set to 'SB Live! MIDI UART is this correct ? I have no other
                  keyboards, etc currently connected to the computer, only the Poly
                  800-II using both midi in & out from the soundcard cables.

                  So, step by step instuructions by any of you experst here might be a
                  big help to me. I have downloaded the wav files incase I have to do
                  it like that, but will have to order a soundcard to 3.5 jack cable
                  from somewhere as I don't have one.

                  Look forward to hearing from you soon ;)

                  Kind regards

                  Kenny

                  --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny <kenny@f...>" <kenny@f...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Thanks to everyone for the advice...when my head is a little
                  clearer
                  > I will take it all onboard !
                  >
                  > Think I will try and load the set 1 set 2 and custom patched in
                  > first to see if that helps.
                  >
                  > Thanks once again :)
                  >
                  > Kenny
                • Skunkride //
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                    maybe try to use the audio ("cassette") in for patch uploading ?
                    for my MK I poly it worked great (had to feed it very strong signal though)

                  • Mike Nelson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                      Hi again from the manic.

                      It could be that the only problem is the Program Write
                      switch on the back is on Disable to protect the
                      memory. Check that.

                      Again, MkI patches will not work. The file sizes are
                      different due to lack of chorus and addition of DDL.

                      Sound card settings sound right. But on my piggyback
                      MIDI cable you have to connect the side marked "IN" to
                      the out on the synth and vice versa.

                      Does your utility allow for different device numbers?
                      If so make sure it's set to #1 or 00h.

                      All I can think of,good luck!

                      the manicmaestro
                      --- Kenny <kenny@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Again,
                      > Can anyone give me Step By Step instructions how to
                      > reload the
                      > original sounds using the SYX files ?
                      > Now this might make me sound thick, and I might be
                      > overlooking
                      > something really simple, but try as I may I just
                      > can't get any
                      > patches to load properly.
                      > I have tried using SysEx! V1.0 & also tried
                      > Sysexbox, using one of
                      > the following : Custom.syx Poly8001.syx
                      > Poly8002.syx.
                      >
                      > Iy seems to upload them alright - the display on the
                      > keyboard goes
                      > off while the file is transfering, but the patches
                      > just don't
                      > change...and the ones I have sound naff.
                      >
                      > I am currently using a bog standard Soundblaster
                      > live 5.1 with a
                      > midi cable plugged into the game/midi port in the
                      > back of the
                      > computer. Midi settings in SysEx! for transfer both
                      > in and out are
                      > set to 'SB Live! MIDI UART is this correct ? I
                      > have no other
                      > keyboards, etc currently connected to the computer,
                      > only the Poly
                      > 800-II using both midi in & out from the soundcard
                      > cables.
                      >
                      > So, step by step instuructions by any of you experst
                      > here might be a
                      > big help to me. I have downloaded the wav files
                      > incase I have to do
                      > it like that, but will have to order a soundcard to
                      > 3.5 jack cable
                      > from somewhere as I don't have one.
                      >
                      > Look forward to hearing from you soon ;)
                      >
                      > Kind regards
                      >
                      > Kenny
                      >

                      > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny
                      > <kenny@f...>" <kenny@f...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > Thanks to everyone for the advice...when my head
                      > is a little
                      > clearer
                      > > I will take it all onboard !
                      > >
                      > > Think I will try and load the set 1 set 2 and
                      > custom patched in
                      > > first to see if that helps.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks once again :)
                      > >
                      > > Kenny

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                    • Kenny
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                        Howdy :)

                        No, the Program write switch is set to 'Enable' as is the
                        Sequencer - well, I have tried with the sequencer switch enables &
                        Disabled.

                        The patches are for the Mk II not the Mk1, I downloaded them from
                        here : http://members.bluefrognet.net/~rlsnuffy/poly800/

                        Yup, the Midi out cable is in 'In, and vice versa.

                        What utility do I set up for different device numbers ? The SysEx ?

                        I can't think of anything else either. I keep trying different
                        ways, different Sys progs, butstill can't seem to get it !
                        Not sure if it is my soundcard/midi cable that the synth doesn't
                        like or what...I had no trouble using them with the D5 though.
                        New soundcard this weekend hopefully - either the new soundblaster
                        Audigy 2 EX platinum, or the Terratec DMX 6Fire. I am also going to
                        buy a lead that will go from Audio out on the soundcard to the 3.5
                        tape jack on the synth to try using the Wav method of restoring the
                        sounds. This might just sort the problem out.

                        If not....looks like I might put the bloody thing up on ebay and get
                        my life back lol Done nothing else after work all week apart from
                        searching the t'internet for help for the Poly !!!

                        Cheers

                        Kenny

                        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Mike Nelson <manicmaestro@y...>

                      • donallfinn
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 16, 2015
                          I hear ya man, though I have found some help I had to look hard for it,

                          My poly is not yet back online yet either......couple more days of this I'm getting a micro Korg ( aways loved the MS2000) and getting on with my life

                          It really shouldn't be this hard to find info on this,
                        • Donal Finn
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 16, 2015
                            Hey man, totally agree, I have a micro korg on it's way right now (Check guitar centre used I bought mine for $199) and I LOVED the MS2000,

                            BUT….I got my Poly working last night!

                            Tell me what it is step by step that you are doing and maybe we can replicate what worked on mine, I still have it set up (Including the gain structure) so let's see if we can get yours firing as well. No reason not to have a miro korg AND a polly 8!