Question for the group

  • mr_rona
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2012
      I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
      thanks
    • bimmerfan222
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2012
        does the pitch bend function work both ways or only one way?

        I've got a bad joystick that is stuck modulating.. I have to shove the stick all the way down to VCF to make it stop.
        I HATE that joystick.. I'm working on something that will put that thing out of my misery..

        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@...> wrote:

        > I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
        > thanks

      • mr_rona
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2012
          Yes everything works as normal the joysick works both ways, I first thought it may have been the power supply because when I checked the voltage it wasn't correct so I brought a new one but still the same.

          --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@...> wrote:

          > I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
          > thanks

        • Gary Peters
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2012
            Doesnt it have the tuner slide

            Yes everything works as normal the joysick works both ways, I first thought it may have been the power supply because when I checked the voltage it wasn't correct so I brought a new one but still the same.

            --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@...> wrote:

            > I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
            > thanks

          • Peter van Beerendonk
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2012
              Probably just the potentiometers inside the joystick unit which are not good aligned.
            • mr_rona
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2012
                The tuner slider will only tune about half a semitone so wont tune up the 3 semitones its out and i took the joystick out and check the pots and there fine I even connected some new ones but no difference but thanks for the suggestions so far.

                --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@...> wrote:

                > I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
                > thanks

              • Pan Ryba
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
                  Hi there.
                  There is a tuning pot Inside your poly 800.
                  actually there are two as I remember ... (coarse and fine)
                  CHeck them. but be carefull.
                  If you turn that pot too far (too low), poly 800 will reset due low power input and it will erase all your stored patches. so backup your sounds first!
                  There is a second thing:
                  tuning poly 800 this way will (maybee, I'm not sure) cause that your
                  joystick will bend tones in different ranges as now.
                  there are pots for joystick bending range too.

                  --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@...> wrote:

                  > The tuner slider will only tune about half a semitone so wont tune up the 3 semitones its out and i took the joystick out and check the pots and there fine I even connected some new ones but no difference but thanks for the suggestions so far.
                  >
                  > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
                  > > thanks

                • mr_rona
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
                    Thanks for that Pan i'm inside the poly now but I dont seem to be able to find them I dont suppose you remember there vr numbers do you or what board they were on?
                    Thanks for all your help so far

                    --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Pan Ryba" <pan.ryba@...> wrote:

                    > Hi there.
                    > There is a tuning pot Inside your poly 800.
                    > actually there are two as I remember ... (coarse and fine)
                    > CHeck them. but be carefull.
                    > If you turn that pot too far (too low), poly 800 will reset due low power input and it will erase all your stored patches. so backup your sounds first!
                    > There is a second thing:
                    > tuning poly 800 this way will (maybee, I'm not sure) cause that your
                    > joystick will bend tones in different ranges as now.
                    > there are pots for joystick bending range too.
                    >

                    > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The tuner slider will only tune about half a semitone so wont tune up the 3 semitones its out and i took the joystick out and check the pots and there fine I even connected some new ones but no difference but thanks for the suggestions so far.
                    > >
                    > > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
                    > > > thanks

                  • Martin Ator
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
                      It's all in the service manual which can be downloaded from the group archives(try the files section). There is a calibration routine for the joystick, written in the service manual. Have a go yourself first at reading the schematic and trying to understand what's happening. It's more rewarding to do it this way. Nothing better than figuring something out yourself, but, if you get stuck you can come back here and ask some more questions.

                      Thanks for that Pan i'm inside the poly now but I dont seem to be able to find them I dont suppose you remember there vr numbers do you or what board they were on?
                      Thanks for all your help so far

                      --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Pan Ryba" <pan.ryba@...> wrote:

                      > Hi there.
                      > There is a tuning pot Inside your poly 800.
                      > actually there are two as I remember ... (coarse and fine)
                      > CHeck them. but be carefull.
                      > If you turn that pot too far (too low), poly 800 will reset due low power input and it will erase all your stored patches. so backup your sounds first!
                      > There is a second thing:
                      > tuning poly 800 this way will (maybee, I'm not sure) cause that your
                      > joystick will bend tones in different ranges as now.
                      > there are pots for joystick bending range too.
                      >

                      > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The tuner slider will only tune about half a semitone so wont tune up the 3 semitones its out and i took the joystick out and check the pots and there fine I even connected some new ones but no difference but thanks for the suggestions so far.
                      > >
                      > > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
                      > > > thanks

                    • mr_rona
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
                        Sorted guys thanks so much for all your help, in the end it was the power supply circuit 5v was coming up at less than 4v so I adjusted it according to the service manual and everything is working great now.
                        Thanks again

                        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@...> wrote:

                        > I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
                        > thanks

                      • Martin Ator
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
                          Nice work

                          Sorted guys thanks so much for all your help, in the end it was the power supply circuit 5v was coming up at less than 4v so I adjusted it according to the service manual and everything is working great now.
                          Thanks again

                          --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "mr_rona" <mr_rona@...> wrote:

                          > I love my korg poly 800 but its now out of tune at the moment its 3 semitones down I was told it was the joystick but I cant see it because it is always 3 semitones down, I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any solutions.
                          > thanks

                        • mr_rona
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
                            Thanks again, its groups like this that make the internet a great place.