DCO and VCF of Joystick work, but not Pitch Bend

  • MFAitkenJr
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 16, 2012
      Hi, I have a poly 800 and the joystick half works. The DCO and VCF of Joystick work, but not Pitch Bend. Is this an easy fix? Or is the joystick just not good anymore? I opened it up and all the cables seem to be connected fine. If the joystick assembly is broken, does anyone know where I can buy it?

      Thanks,
      Frank
    • Martin Ator
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 17, 2012
        Silly question but, have you adjusted the 'BEND' slider next to the volume control to maximum (10) the pitch bend wont work without this. I always forget about this one myself.

        Martin

        Hi, I have a poly 800 and the joystick half works. The DCO and VCF of Joystick work, but not Pitch Bend. Is this an easy fix? Or is the joystick just not good anymore? I opened it up and all the cables seem to be connected fine. If the joystick assembly is broken, does anyone know where I can buy it?

        Thanks,
        Frank

      • F Aitken
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 17, 2012
          Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've moved  the Bend slider to max and it doesn't work. I need to test the pitch bend controlling the Poly from another synth.  I hope the issue is no more than a good joystick cleaning or replacement.
          -Frank

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 17, 2012
            If you find out there is a bigger problem than just mechanical then check out:

            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YF0-T4ya4J7RCiIO9wKq8nLp2oci_sbWuFgV3xARSvc3GifS6Q9cnnJvbw7utKnd4VSWH_PyIaJdLLacLWjo/1%29%20Poly-800/Servicing/Joystick%20PCB%20Electronics%20-%20Theory%20of%20Operation.pdf

            It will help you figure out what is wrong but you will need a multimeter.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 17, 2012
              Hmm. Probably not the joystick unless there's cracked solder on one of the joints or a connector or wire. I'll have a look at schematics. It might be a faulty pitch bend slider.

              Martin

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 17, 2012
                If you use a MIDI monitor like MIDIOX from the poly 800 you should be able to transmit pitch bend data and see it being received,you can try to send pitch bend to the poly 800 as well.
                You can check for cracks in the solder and broken wires inside behind the joystick mechanism.
                If it is transmitting MIDI then you need to try the calibration routine in the service manual. You only need a multimeter and someone to wiggle your stick.
                Page 21 section 2 D/A converter check and adjustment would be a good place to start.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 17, 2012
                    Hi,

                    I once noticed this kind of problem on one of the poly-800 I serviced. And from what I can recall, I had to change a varicap for which I've been able to source an equivalent at Farnell.

                    Looking at the schematic, it seems like there's only one, labeled VC1, in "block 19".

                    Hope it helps...

                    Good luck!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 17, 2012
                      Well, some good news.  The Poly 800 responded to Pitch Bend when I tested it with another controller.  This points to a connection problem maybe.  There is a connector I can't see that is under one of the boards.  Maybe that's loose.  Any other thoughts?  Next I will look under the hood, do some disassembly, and take a closer look at things.  Thanks for the info!  Any more thoughts are welcome.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 19, 2012
                        After doing some tests, I think it may be a bad pitch bend slider as someone suggested, since the more I moved/worked it, the bending began to work. What is the pitch bend range of the poly 800 at the highest setting? Currently it goes from C up to G and C down to F.

                        -Frank

                        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, no freq <no.freq@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I once noticed this kind of problem on one of the poly-800 I serviced. And
                        > from what I can recall, I had to change a varicap for which I've been able
                        > to source an equivalent at Farnell.
                        >
                        > Looking at the schematic, it seems like there's only one, labeled VC1, in
                        > "block 19".
                        >
                        > Hope it helps...
                        >
                        > Good luck!
                        >
                        > 2012/2/17 F Aitken <mfaitkenjr@...>
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > To everyone replying, I appreciate your help. I will do further testing
                        > > and examination this weekend. Any other ideas are welcome. If the service
                        > > manual in not in the "File" section, can someone email it to me or direct
                        > > my to a link. Thanks again! -Frank

                      • F Aitken

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 10, 2012
                            I hope top posting is ok

                            I had the same problem - the pcb for the joystick was cracked.
                            couldnt tell till I removed it and looked closely

                            bill