Poly 800 mk2 - no effects but someones added a 1/4 jack and wired to the fx ?

  • fugasiyokonda
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
      Hi guys

      just got hold of a mk2 poly 800 from ebay and it seems to have an
      extra 1/4 inch jack on the back half way down the synth.The echo and fx
      section is also not working....bummer......looking inside it looks like
      someones added the jack and its wired into the fx section ? the plot
      thickens.Any ideas whats going on here ?

      It seems theres a yellow wire going from the jack to one part of the fx
      board , a yellow from the jack to another part opf the fx board and then
      3 blue wires from the voice board....?

      Should i upload some images or is this a known mod ?
    • narfman96
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
        I would have to see a picture...

        What you describe should have a stereo TRS jack if that many wires are connected to it. They may have broken into the FX section to use an outboard FX loop. This can affect the overall noise in the synth too. I found out the hard way that running unshielded wires with analog signals around inside a Poly-800 is a great way to reduce the signal to noise ratio. Not good.

        Fran

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012

          many thanks for the info and tip regards noise which i will try later.

          The fx board mods are shown here in some close up photos.

          www.kineticsoundprism.com/poly800mods.rar

          checked all the wires earlier and it seems fine but just no fx at all....i might try disconnecting the jack next ...i have tried a jack in the jack just in case it needs something in there to ' normalise ? ' if thats the word the connection like an insert would  , it doe slook like 1 blue wire from the voice section now runs via the jack instead of straight to the fx board....that could be the issue maybe,,,,i am an idiot on this stuff really.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2012
            Mike might have to chime in on this but it looks like the jack is sending the audio out as an FX loop. However it could be that this was used for a FX on/off footswitch. Plug in a TRS cable and try a 10k resistor between the tip and ring and see if the FX work.

            The yellow and white wires are bypassing FET-2 and the EQ circuitry if I'm looking at the pics properly. The blue wire should be the audio from the KLM-1032 board.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2012
              yeah i menat to say the eq isnt working either.My guess is that its an on off switch maybe and i will test with a pedal later if i can find one.Just trying to sort out the noise now.The guy who sold it claims the poly 800 mk2 doesnt have echo or delay and thats why its not working or why i cant find that.......ebay ....