Re: HAWK-800 Sysex Patch Dump format

  • zoinky420
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
      --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

      > Meanwhile, I'll get the other group members here to chime in with their own
      > templates.

      How does one make a template?
    • Michael Hawkins
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
        Well, some of my fellow HAWK fans have created templates for the various sequencer, arranger and controller software packages that are out there. So I was referring to those.

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
          if you upload a link to the new sysex data format and
          midi implementation chart, i could knock up a vst editor
          in synthedit. i just need to suss out how to send out
          sysex variables, but it shouldn't be too hard.
          (i'd like to know a bit more about midi cc's implemented,
          too. also, Mike, could you please email me about the order
          i want to place with you :) )

          --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

          > Well, some of my fellow HAWK fans have created templates for the various
          > sequencer, arranger and controller software packages that are out there. So I
          > was referring to those.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • k9k9dog
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
            ugh, sorry, hadn't read previous post..nice long list :)

            i wrote a load of cubase mixermaps years ago, so it's
            familiar territory. just need the data format; if you
            send the hawk800 a data transfer request message, it will
            send back exactly what it uses, say, into a list editor
            in record mode. eg: one line: F0,manuf,device,(unit?), etc. ..F7

            one thing i NEVER sussed out how to do - and i tried - was
            the NRPN+data entry thing. ???send simultaneously? couldn't
            work out how to do it. sysex works ok though. would be waaaay
            cool if all these could be mapped to MIDI CCs.

            --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "k9k9dog" <domgoold@...> wrote:

            > if you upload a link to the new sysex data format and
            > midi implementation chart, i could knock up a vst editor
            > in synthedit. i just need to suss out how to send out
            > sysex variables, but it shouldn't be too hard.
            > (i'd like to know a bit more about midi cc's implemented,
            > too. also, Mike, could you please email me about the order
            > i want to place with you :) )
            >
            > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well, some of my fellow HAWK fans have created templates for the various
            > > sequencer, arranger and controller software packages that are out there. So I
            > > was referring to those.
            > >

            > > ________________________________

          • tim.tashpulatov
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
              According to MIDI implementation, seems like it is possible to change one parameter at a time using CC84 and CC85. So I dug out my old proto board with Atmel MCU, some old touchpad and digital pot, and started thinking this over.

              And while looking for ways to attach pots to my board, I have found this:

              http://the-all.org/tx81z/twopot/index.html

              It's a simple project, sort of hardware patch editor with an LCD, a couple of knobs and MIDI output to control TX81Z. I guess something similar could be done for controlling HAWK-800, too. Having all the parameter names shown in human readable format on the LCD would be nice.

              --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

              > Well, here is the raw format of the data. See the MIDI implementation for the
              > precise format of the sysex message.
            • k9k9dog
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                *if i may say* (...) seems really xxxx heavyweight, lol!
                for an issue that could be resolved more simply using sysex.
                i used to get some quite complex sysex edits going on without
                affecting timing, with multiple params moving, etc.

                am dl'ing this to examine offline, but think best to make
                equivalent of a cubase 'mixer map', accessing any parameter
                wanted via an GUI-based editor. ca make as synthedit(windows)
                VST instrument, and if anyone wants to port that to a Mac etc
                thing, can upload the project file.

                HOWEVER! if someone can accurately describe how to perform
                NRPN edit via MIDI, that could be another method (never got it
                to work here )

                ie: an object(fader/knob) sends out a(ny) parameter value variable
                in realtime.

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                  hi tim: i read that article, and see what it does,
                  but would find editing tx/dx like that really frustrating
                  (although you'd have to have a go with it before judging)
                  i used to have a fun editor on the atari, and may even
                  have had a cubase mixer map for it.
                  for the poly/ex, seems like a nice GUI based editor
                  would be most useful (if using a pc/mac)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
                    I agree, I would too prefer some on-screen controls with knobs and buttons running on PC. My setup is under Linux, and so far I haven't found any tools there suitable for hacking custom synth layout. You know, like those old true analog synth used to have on their front panels. (In fact, I havent even figured out how to just hack one single knob capable of sending certain CC.)

                    It's that I've got enough spare parts in my junk box, and the itch to solder together another something after I've assembled my HAWK-800 :)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
                      you all need to seriously consider JsynthLib.

                      I have the basic patch librarian part of it working. I just haven't finished the editor. If anyone is really interested in helping out then I'll post my work so far.

                      Mike.

                      I agree, I would too prefer some on-screen controls with knobs and buttons running on PC. My setup is under Linux, and so far I haven't found any tools there suitable for hacking custom synth layout. You know, like those old true analog synth used to have on their front panels. (In fact, I havent even figured out how to just hack one single knob capable of sending certain CC.)

                      It's that I've got enough spare parts in my junk box, and the itch to solder together another something after I've assembled my HAWK-800 :)

                      --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "k9k9dog" <domgoold@...> wrote:

                      > hi tim: i read that article, and see what it does,
                      > but would find editing tx/dx like that really frustrating
                      > (although you'd have to have a go with it before judging)
                      > i used to have a fun editor on the atari, and may even
                      > have had a cubase mixer map for it.
                      > for the poly/ex, seems like a nice GUI based editor
                      > would be most useful (if using a pc/mac)
                      >
                      > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "k9k9dog" <domgoold@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > *if i may say* (...) seems really xxxx heavyweight, lol!
                      > > for an issue that could be resolved more simply using sysex.
                      > > i used to get some quite complex sysex edits going on without
                      > > affecting timing, with multiple params moving, etc.
                      > >
                      > > am dl'ing this to examine offline, but think best to make
                      > > equivalent of a cubase 'mixer map', accessing any parameter
                      > > wanted via an GUI-based editor. ca make as synthedit(windows)
                      > > VST instrument, and if anyone wants to port that to a Mac etc
                      > > thing, can upload the project file.
                      > >
                      > > HOWEVER! if someone can accurately describe how to perform
                      > > NRPN edit via MIDI, that could be another method (never got it
                      > > to work here )
                      > >
                      > > ie: an object(fader/knob) sends out a(ny) parameter value variable
                      > > in realtime.
                      > >
                      > > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "tim.tashpulatov" <tim.tashpulatov@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > According to MIDI implementation, seems like it is possible to change one parameter at a time using CC84 and CC85. So I dug out my old proto board with Atmel MCU, some old touchpad and digital pot, and started thinking this over.
                      > > >
                      > > > And while looking for ways to attach pots to my board, I have found this:
                      > > >
                      > > > http://the-all.org/tx81z/twopot/index.html
                      > > >
                      > > > It's a simple project, sort of hardware patch editor with an LCD, a couple of knobs and MIDI output to control TX81Z. I guess something similar could be done for controlling HAWK-800, too. Having all the parameter names shown in human readable format on the LCD would be nice.

                    • joe peak
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Ya know.......You've given me an idea......Like those old roland synths where they have a breakout box full of knobs and such.  One could make a midi box using the very hip Arduino, and make knobs controlling MIDI CCs. The box would connect via MIDI and could sit on the Poly's top panel where the parameter tables are....Giving real knobs for parameters. I was also thinking about hacking my Oxygen8 midi controller and taking out the eight knobs and slider then putting them into a custom made box to attach to the poly. Those knobs on the Oxygen are programmable and could be changed whenever needed.

                           Just an idea.........

                                                       J.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                          hey guys,
                          well thanks tim, for showing us the tx thing, new to me.
                          the thing i found about the ex800, is that you'd tend not to fiddle with patches while you worked, as not very immediate, like a juno,
                          say. so a controller panel would be very fiiiine :)

                          i'm still looking at that midid implementation chart, and a bit confused by midi cc's 22-30, and their purpose ????? please
                          enlighten me if you know...

                          also trying to work out what the sysex messahe format:order is
                          exactly, as several types of message are listed(more time).

                          however, if any of you have your machine there, you can find out the
                          correct one (or any other black box) by performing a 'handshake':

                          open your cubase? list editor, and insert a data transfer request
                          message in the top line.
                          then arm cubase to record - with midi in/out reciprocally from
                          pc midi to device midi, and hit play; then stop play very
                          quickly (best not to have a short loop running...)

                          you will have captured a return message that gives you all the bytes
                          in the correct order. up to you then to work out which is the parameter variable (which will feature as 'xx' when you create your
                          (mixer map) object.

                          if you have a midi implemenation chart with al parameter numbers,
                          which we do, transpose them all into hex, and make an object for
                          each one.

                          this is the 'soft' version, and i'm going to try to suss out how
                          to do this with synthedit. then maybe someone can code it up as
                          a universam platform vsti... ????

                          i read about arduino, but over my head as yet...it might need to be a separate device addressing the sysex via assigned midi cc's, with
                          a midi cc> sysex interface going on....?

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                            From page 35 of the Owners Manual...

                            MIDI CC “Hardware Controller Friendly” Method

                            The third method is a non standard method for changing HAWK-800 parameters where a hardware MIDI controller is
                            being used to change parameters. This method makes it easier to set up a MIDI hardware controller that has sliders and
                            push buttons that can be assigned to parameter banks. This method uses MIDI CC's 22 through to 30. CC 22 is used to
                            select parameter groups. There are 16 parameter groups starting at P1 11 through to P1 88 and then P2 11 through to P2
                            88. Once a parameter group is selected then CC's 23 through to 30 correspond to the parameter within the selected
                            parameter group. To use this method, the MIDI CC messages would be sent in this order and format:
                            1) Send MIDI CC 22 with the data value set to select the desired
                            parameter group where 00-63 corresponds to groups P1 1x to 8x and 64-127 corresponds to groups P2 1x to 8x. When you
                            send this CC to the HAWK-800, the display will briefly switch to show the selected parameter group.
                            2) Send any MIDI CC from 23 to 30 where each CC corresponds to the parameters within the selected parameter group.
                            This means that with the parameter group selected (in step 1 above) you can use MIDI CC's 23 to 30 to set the parameters
                            of any of the 8 parameters within each parameter group.
                            So for example, use MIDI CC 22 to select the desired parameter group (say DCO1 group) then use MIDI CC's 23 to 30 to
                            change any of the parameters in that group (which would be DCO octave, DCO waveform, harmonics, level and DCO
                            mode).
                            The nice thing about this method is that a musician will generally edit HAWK-800 sounds by working inside of each
                            parameter group. So it is very convenient to be able to set up a hardware controller to select a parameter group and then
                            edit any one of the eight possible parameters in that group. Then the musician would select another parameter group and
                            edit the parameters within that group and so on.

                            And a little additional color...

                            So imagine that you have a MIDI hardware controller with one knob assigned to controller 22 and then you have eight sliders assigned to 23 through to 30.

                            Now let's say we want to edit EG1. In that case, you would use the knob to set the parameter group to P1 5_. Then you would edit attack, decay etc using the other eight sliders. Each one of those sliders is assigned to the eight parameters inside of the parameter group.

                            So then to edit EG2 you would use the knob to select P1 6_ and then again, use the eight sliders to set all parameters in EG2 parameter group.

                            I thought this was a nice way to edit parameters quickly using my Remote25SL.

                            I provided this group with the parameter data layout and the MIDI implementation along with the data format that was posted here should explain it. Now, what is your specific question regarding sysex?

                            Mike

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                              "Now, what is your specific question regarding sysex?"

                               Yes I was wondering that too.........I thought it all seemed to be some hot air floating around to get a software editor or hardware editor going......

                               I also had a sneaky suspicion that its all there already in Mike's excellent midi implementation. Which it is. Just buy a controller that can send Midi CCs and there you go.

                                 I don't mean to be rude. I'm just confused as to what this thread is about.

                                                              J.

                              well thanks tim, for showing us the tx thing, new to me.
                              the thing i found about the ex800, is that you'd tend not to fiddle with patches while you worked, as not very immediate, like a juno,
                              say. so a controller panel would be very fiiiine :)

                              i'm still looking at that midid implementation chart, and a bit confused by midi cc's 22-30, and their purpose ????? please
                              enlighten me if you know...

                              also trying to work out what the sysex messahe format:order is
                              exactly, as several types of message are listed(more time).

                              however, if any of you have your machine there, you can find out the
                              correct one (or any other black box) by performing a 'handshake':

                              open your cubase? list editor, and insert a data transfer request
                              message in the top line.
                              then arm cubase to record - with midi in/out reciprocally from
                              pc midi to device midi, and hit play; then stop play very
                              quickly (best not to have a short loop running...)

                              you will have captured a return message that gives you all the bytes
                              in the correct order. up to you then to work out which is the parameter variable (which will feature as 'xx' when you create your
                              (mixer map) object.

                              if you have a midi implemenation chart with al parameter numbers,
                              which we do, transpose them all into hex, and make an object for
                              each one.

                              this is the 'soft' version, and i'm going to try to suss out how
                              to do this with synthedit. then maybe someone can code it up as
                              a universam platform vsti... ????

                              i read about arduino, but over my head as yet...it might need to be a separate device addressing the sysex via assigned midi cc's, with
                              a midi cc> sysex interface going on....?

                              --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, joe peak <lovgh2000@...> wrote:

                              > Ya know.......You've given me an idea......Like those old roland synths where they have a breakout box full of knobs and such.  One could make a midi box using the very hip Arduino, and make knobs controlling MIDI CCs. The box would connect via MIDI and could sit on the Poly's top panel where the parameter tables are....Giving real knobs for parameters. I was also thinking about hacking my Oxygen8 midi controller and taking out the eight knobs and slider then putting them into a custom made box to attach to the poly. Those knobs on the Oxygen are programmable and could be changed whenever needed.
                              >
                              >    Just an idea.........
                              >
                              >                                J.

                            • microbugix
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 9, 2011
                                --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

                                > you all need to seriously consider JsynthLib.

                                If you're on Windows, ok. JSynthlib on Mac does not work flawlessly due to buggy sysex routines in JSynthlib engine. I will prefer SoundDiver instead, since this was my favourite choice for all synths to edit.

                                For nice programming with knobs you could use fader boxes like Behringer BCR2000 which is capable of handling sysex messages if one is willing to dive into its macro language.

                                Greets

                                Dietmar
                              • korgpolyex800
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 14, 2012
                                  From a while ago...

                                  I also should add that I am going to change P2-13 and P2-14 to combine them into P2-14. So you should write your controllers in such a way that lends them to easy modification.

                                • bimmerfan222
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 14, 2012
                                    Thanks for the reply Mike.

                                    I guess I'm just not getting it.. I dont see where in the code I can pluck out parameter values.

                                    Like where is:

                                    11 Dco1 Octave
                                    23 DCO1 Harmonics
                                    88 Operating Poly Mode

                                    in this dump here-

                                    SYSX: F0 42 21 06 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 01
                                    SYSX: 0F 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 07 01 0F 00
                                    SYSX: 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 04 0B 00 0A 00 0A 01 00 00 00 05
                                    SYSX: 05 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 0C 00 0C 00 01 00 00 01
                                    SYSX: 0B 01 0F 01 0F 01 0F 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 0F 01
                                    SYSX: 0F 01 0F 01 0F 00 03 00 00 00 00 01 03 00 05 01 0F 00
                                    SYSX: 00 01 0F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                                    SYSX: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                                    SYSX: 00 00 08 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                                    SYSX: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                                    SYSX: 00 00 00 00 02 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                                    SYSX: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                                    SYSX: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00
                                    SYSX: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                                    SYSX: 00 00 00 00