Re: HAWK-800 - ** new firmware available **

  • narfman96
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2010
      Mike,

      Thanks so much for getting this update out so quickly!!! I can't wait to update my Atomahawk when I get home.

      I think I've been in a time warp lately with so much going on...
      I noticed that there is a V1.6 boot ROM in this release. I take it this means I should make another 27C64 eprom with this binary. Are there any new features in V1.6 other than the boot diags?

      Sorry if this was discussed before and I missed it, Fran

      --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

      > Hello HAWK-800 customers,
      >
      > A new firmware update (version 2.4.6) has been released and is now available for you.
      >
      > This firmware upgrade puts the finishing touches on the new sequencer functions.
      >
      > It also improves the note ON event response time of the HAWK-800 by reducing the lag from about 50mS per note to about 12mS per note as compared to the original Poly-800. At 12mS, it is not very easy to detect any lag at all (and many of you didn't detect the 50mS lag either). The most benefit is probably going to be those who play chords on the HAWK-800 keyboard. The lag per note drops even further to about 8mS as chords are being played.
      >
      > You can download the ZIP file that contains the new code along with the new documentation from here:
      >
      > http://patrioticduo.tripod.com/hawk800/Version-2.4.6.zip
      >
      > Let me know if you find any bugs or problems. As always, feel free to ask questions and make suggestions.
      >
      > Mike.

    • Michael Hawkins
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2010
        If you can program another EPROM, I would recommend it.

        The new boot rom has a nice boot up routine that shows "HA-800" on the screen. But if you hold down the "bank hold" button, it displays the POST checks as it goes through them.

        It's pwetty! lol

        Mike

        Thanks so much for getting this update out so quickly!!! I can't wait to update my Atomahawk when I get home.

        I think I've been in a time warp lately with so much going on...
        I noticed that there is a V1.6 boot ROM in this release. I take it this means I should make another 27C64 eprom with this binary. Are there any new features in V1.6 other than the boot diags?

        Sorry if this was discussed before and I missed it, Fran

        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogro ups.com, "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@ ...> wrote:

        > Hello HAWK-800 customers,
        >
        > A new firmware update (version 2.4.6) has been released and is now available for you.
        >
        > This firmware upgrade puts the finishing touches on the new sequencer functions.
        >
        > It also improves the note ON event response time of the HAWK-800 by reducing the lag from about 50mS per note to about 12mS per note as compared to the original Poly-800. At 12mS, it is not very easy to detect any lag at all (and many of you didn't detect the 50mS lag either). The most benefit is probably going to be those who play chords on the HAWK-800 keyboard. The lag per note drops even further to about 8mS as chords are being played.
        >
        > You can download the ZIP file that contains the new code along with the new documentation from here:
        >
        > http://patrioticduo.tripod.com/hawk800/Version-2.4.6.zip
        >
        > Let me know if you find any bugs or problems. As always, feel free to ask questions and make suggestions.
        >
        > Mike.

      • Michael Hawkins
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2010
          OK, I uploaded more files into the zip file including the binary image for the boot rom.

          It's boot.bin. That is what you need to burn a new boot EPROM.

          For those who have flash boot ROM's (28C64), you can do the boot upgrade using boot.syx. I will write up the procedure soon. In the meantime, if anyone wants to do the boot upgrade, contact me first.

          Mike

          Thanks so much for getting this update out so quickly!!! I can't wait to update my Atomahawk when I get home.

          I think I've been in a time warp lately with so much going on...
          I noticed that there is a V1.6 boot ROM in this release. I take it this means I should make another 27C64 eprom with this binary. Are there any new features in V1.6 other than the boot diags?

          Sorry if this was discussed before and I missed it, Fran

          --- In korgpolyex@yahoogro ups.com, "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@ ...> wrote:

          > Hello HAWK-800 customers,
          >
          > A new firmware update (version 2.4.6) has been released and is now available for you.
          >
          > This firmware upgrade puts the finishing touches on the new sequencer functions.
          >
          > It also improves the note ON event response time of the HAWK-800 by reducing the lag from about 50mS per note to about 12mS per note as compared to the original Poly-800. At 12mS, it is not very easy to detect any lag at all (and many of you didn't detect the 50mS lag either). The most benefit is probably going to be those who play chords on the HAWK-800 keyboard. The lag per note drops even further to about 8mS as chords are being played.
          >
          > You can download the ZIP file that contains the new code along with the new documentation from here:
          >
          > http://patrioticduo.tripod.com/hawk800/Version-2.4.6.zip
          >
          > Let me know if you find any bugs or problems. As always, feel free to ask questions and make suggestions.
          >
          > Mike.

        • narfman96
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2010
            I got to play last night for a few hours using the new firmware. While I still won't be able to play along with "Liquid Tension" the new CD with Rudess, Petrucci, and Portnoy wailing away on it. I can assure you it's my lack of talent and nothing to do with the speed of this Atomahawk-800.

            Really though it is noticably faster. Before I could quickly hit a note and never have it sound. Now I'm not fast enough to be able to duplicate that feat. Great job Mike!!! I only played on the Mark II keyboard itself I did not try any midi controllers yet. I was also pleased with the response of the joystick for the pitch bend, VCO, and DCO modulations. Using these didnt' seem to mess with my timing at all. Hopefully you pleased your critic. You must have done a bunch of work to do this update.

            I did not make a new V1.6 eprom yet. I'll either do it this weekend or wait until I get some 28C64 eeproms. Bye, I'm goin' fishin'.

            --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

            > OK, I uploaded more files into the zip file including the binary image for the boot rom.
            >
            > It's boot.bin. That is what you need to burn a new boot EPROM.
            >
            > For those who have flash boot ROM's (28C64), you can do the boot upgrade using boot.syx. I will write up the procedure soon. In the meantime, if anyone wants to do the boot upgrade, contact me first.
            >
            > Mike
            >

            > ________________________________

          • zoinky420
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2010
              --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "narfman96" <narfman96@...> wrote:

              > Hopefully you pleased your critic.

              Yeah, I'm curious about whether he's satisfied now.
            • Fabrizio Teodosi
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2010
                Hi to all,

                I've just installed the new firmware and I'm doing some test.
                Now the latency seems to me very low, maybe in the same order of the
                rest of my synths.
                Many thanks for this improvement, Mike. Great job!!

                Cheers to all,

                fabrizio teodosi
                arcevia (an) italy
              • Michael Hawkins
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2010
                  My critic had returned his Poly-800 back to original because he considered the HAWK kit made his Poly unusable.

                  So I sent him an email to let him know that I had significantly reduced the lag.

                  Now I have to wait for him to let me know what he thinks after he puts the HAWK back in to his Poly-800.

                  But I will let you all know what he comes back with.

                  And I appreciate all of the positive comments. :-)

                  Mike

                  Yeah, I'm curious about whether he's satisfied now.

                • Electrohead
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2010
                    You've done a fantastic job Mike.
                    Just try to get that kind of customer service from any big corporation.
                    Keep up the good work