Ideas for the sequencer

  • korgpolyex800
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
      I had been tinkering around with ideas for the Poly-800 sequencer. I had my own ideas about how it could be modified to improve its usability. I mean, the damn thing really sucks doesn't it! It's basically a useless dog a thing.

      I recently bought myself a Korg ER-1 drum machine. And I am extremely happy that I did. For a start, the HAWK combined with the audio inputs on the ER-1 makes for a huge amount of sonic fun.

      But most of all, I came up with a list of simple changes that I believe would make the Poly sequencer much, much more useful than it currently is.

      1) Start the beat position counter at zero (not "1").
      2) Set a global parameter that sets the sequencer edit display to loop at certain beats/bar count (8,12,16,32,48).
      3) Loop the sequencer display as you enter notes so when you use 12 or 16 beats the display counter will loop back to zero. This will make it much, much easier to enter in step sequences that match common timing.
      4) Set the "step" key to repeat if you hold it down. It drives me crazy having to press the dang thing a gazillion times. Same thing for the "back step" (pressing start/stop) button.
      5) Allow selecting 1 out of 8 different sequences by pressing the 1 to 8 keys. During step recording, the display will show 1-8 in the position where the "5" is shown. During playback, the blank display between 11 and P will show the sequence being played back "11 1P" would be the 1st sequence. "11 3P" would be the third.
      6) Allow selecting a different sequence while already playing another. The current sequence will complete before moving onto the next user keypad selected one.

      The beat counter does not restrict the size of your recorded sequence. It just changes the way the step editing display shows where you are in the sequence. So you can still record up to 256 notes but the display loops through the numbers in order to help you enter sequences that fit into a specific number of beats.

      Now what does everybody think of that? Let's not get carried away with new features just yet. I am looking for feedback on just the items above. :-)

      Mike.
    • David
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
        "2) Set a global parameter that sets the sequencer edit display to loop at
        certain beats/bar count (8,12,16,32, 48)"

        What about odd meters (3, 5, 7, 11)?
      • Atom Smasher
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
          On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, korgpolyex800 wrote:

          > I had been tinkering around with ideas for the Poly-800 sequencer. I had
          > my own ideas about how it could be modified to improve its usability. I
          > mean, the damn thing really sucks doesn't it! It's basically a useless
          > dog a thing.
          ===========

          shit! here comes more features i'll have to learn ;)

          > I recently bought myself a Korg ER-1 drum machine. And I am extremely
          > happy that I did. For a start, the HAWK combined with the audio inputs
          > on the ER-1 makes for a huge amount of sonic fun.
          ===========

          youtube videos?

          > 5) Allow selecting 1 out of 8 different sequences by pressing the 1 to 8
          > keys. During step recording, the display will show 1-8 in the position
          > where the "5" is shown. During playback, the blank display between 11
          > and P will show the sequence being played back "11 1P" would be the 1st
          > sequence. "11 3P" would be the third.
          >
          > 6) Allow selecting a different sequence while already playing another.
          > The current sequence will complete before moving onto the next user
          > keypad selected one.
          ============

          as long as those features, and everything else, will have a compatibility
          layer for working with MIDI so i can use them after i [do a 1U rack
          conversion and] remove the keypad... it all sounds good.

          --
          ...atom

          ________________________
          http://atom.smasher.org/
          762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

          "History is the version of past events
          that people have decided to agree upon."
          -- Napoleon Bonaparte
        • korgpolyex800
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
            How about you can set the beat counter to anywhere from 1 to 64 beats?

            1 being normal operation where the display behaves as the original Poly-800 and 2 to 64 makes the sequencer display loop on that number of beats?

            That gives you many to choose from.

            Now, have you ordered your HAWK-800 kit yet Dave? :-)

            Mike.

            --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "David" <themilford@...> wrote:

            > "2) Set a global parameter that sets the sequencer edit display to loop at
            > certain beats/bar count (8,12,16,32, 48)"
            >
            > What about odd meters (3, 5, 7, 11)?

          • korgpolyex800
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
              Hi Atom,

              No youtube video yet, but it's coming soon.

              Mike.

              --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Atom Smasher <atom@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, korgpolyex800 wrote:
              >
              > > I had been tinkering around with ideas for the Poly-800 sequencer. I had
              > > my own ideas about how it could be modified to improve its usability. I
              > > mean, the damn thing really sucks doesn't it! It's basically a useless
              > > dog a thing.
              > ===========
              >
              > shit! here comes more features i'll have to learn ;)
              >

              > > I recently bought myself a Korg ER-1 drum machine. And I am extremely
              > > happy that I did. For a start, the HAWK combined with the audio inputs
              > > on the ER-1 makes for a huge amount of sonic fun.
              > ===========
              >
              > youtube videos?
              >

              > > 5) Allow selecting 1 out of 8 different sequences by pressing the 1 to 8
              > > keys. During step recording, the display will show 1-8 in the position
              > > where the "5" is shown. During playback, the blank display between 11
              > > and P will show the sequence being played back "11 1P" would be the 1st
              > > sequence. "11 3P" would be the third.
              > >
              > > 6) Allow selecting a different sequence while already playing another.
              > > The current sequence will complete before moving onto the next user
              > > keypad selected one.
              > ============
              >
              > as long as those features, and everything else, will have a compatibility
              > layer for working with MIDI so i can use them after i [do a 1U rack
              > conversion and] remove the keypad... it all sounds good.
              >

              > --
              > ...atom
              >
              > ________________________
              > http://atom.smasher.org/
              > 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808
              >
              > "History is the version of past events
              > that people have decided to agree upon."
              > -- Napoleon Bonaparte

            • David
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
                That sounds perfect...

                I'll order mine as soon as that arpeggiator is available ;)

                --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

                > How about you can set the beat counter to anywhere from 1 to 64 beats?
                >
                > 1 being normal operation where the display behaves as the original Poly-800 and 2 to 64 makes the sequencer display loop on that number of beats?
                >
                > That gives you many to choose from.
                >
                > Now, have you ordered your HAWK-800 kit yet Dave? :-)
                >
                > Mike.
                >
                > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "David" <themilford@> wrote:
                > >

                > > "2) Set a global parameter that sets the sequencer edit display to loop at
                > > certain beats/bar count (8,12,16,32, 48)"
                > >
                > > What about odd meters (3, 5, 7, 11)?

              • zoinky420
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                  --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "David" <themilford@...> wrote:

                  > That sounds perfect...
                  >
                  > I'll order mine as soon as that arpeggiator is available ;)

                  Of course you must already know that you can flash the software any time new updates are released, so are you holding back your cash in order to put some friendly capitalist pressure on Mike to hurry up and implement the arpeggiator??
                • Michael Hawkins
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                    The HAWK was (and still is) my most charitable contribution to society yet.

                    So those who "hold out" may wind up missing out entirely because eventually all charity ends.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                      This is to all of the members of this group, I'm not singling out anyone so please don't take this personally.

                      I agree totally. Mike has gone all out on this project for well over two years now (3 maybe?). Who knows how long he'll continue.
                      I bought a kit over a year ago even tho I knew I wouldn't b able to install it til this year. There's no way I was gonna miss out on such a fantastic product.
                      Like all upgrade products of this type, there will be a point where he's done with it. A lack of sales will surely speed up its arrival. Considering the fact that new features can be flashed into existing kits, IMHO, holding out for a feature to be implemented isn't worth it.
                      Electrohead

                      P.S. I'd kill for an Access Matrix-6 programmer :)

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

                        > The HAWK was (and still is) my most charitable contribution to society yet.
                        >
                        > So those who "hold out" may wind up missing out entirely because eventually all charity ends.

                        Not to mention the fact that you could get run over by a bus tomorrow. not to be morbid, but a guy who made some DAT extracting software I used up and died before I upgraded from the demo version. Thankfully his widow put the full versions up for free after his death.