Re: Trying to fix two broken Poly-800

  • heathcarlisle@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
      Case #1 sounds similar to my recent fix, lights but no button action, key sound.

      After verifying the supply voltages, check IC33 and IC34.

      In my case, the unit was stored standing upright, and the batteries were left in. The cells leaked, and acid dripped onto the main board and ruined the chips along the edge.

      Look for corrosion on the ic legs in and around this area.

      These chips buffer and demux the keyboard and button signals.

      best,

      -heath

      --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hawkins <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

      > First, how do the power supply voltages look?
      >

      > Mike
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Malte Rogacki
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
        At 7:24 Uhr -0800 31.12.2009, Michael Hawkins wrote:

        > First, how do the power supply voltages look?

        I'm getting +5/-5 volts on both machines pretty accurately.

        Malte
      • Malte Rogacki
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
          More progress (or non-progress):

          I got me another Poly-800; this one is actually working (except a display
          problem); and so this gave me the chance to swap certain components around.
          Ironically, this third Poly is again a different revision compared to the
          other two...

          As I wrote earlier, one of the Polys seems to have problems with the RESET
          circuitry. By moving a few key components between the working machine and
          the non-working one I was able to find out the following:

          1. RESET voltage is around 1.7 volts instead of 5 volts.
          2. IC40 is not the culprit.
          3. DTC2 is also working (in the sense that the component is not blown).

          HOWEVER:

          4. When removing DTC2 from the non-working machine I get a proper RESET
          voltage of 5 volts.

          So, does that mean anything? Could it be that the 6116 is responsible?

          --
          Malte Rogacki