Re: [korgpolyex] membership

  • Robert Sweeney
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
      Thanks,
       It didn't seem to have a battery visible
      though It may  be on the other side of the main board?
      I didn't disect it too much last time I had it open, other then realizing the regular battery compartment and connections were toast.

      I'll try make time to check it out further later this week and get back to you.
      Again, Thanks

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2009
        the battery would be almost exactly in the middle of the main board. It won't be on the back.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 2009
          Hello Again,

          I finally had time this evening to take another look at the inside of the old poly 800.
          There is no battery visible that I could see on the main board,
          so anything you can send my way as far as where and how to install a new one
           would be greatly appreciated!
          .
          I also played around with attempting to load some  programs/sounds
          I was able to obtain.

          However, all the programs seems to be sounding mostly the same
          wither I load the new sounds or factory sounds to the tape in,
          Poly says all is good, but all the "programs" are still sounding mostly alike/the same,
          ( I am still able to effect some changes by using different perimeter settings.)

           I was assuming that once loaded, the factory or new programs/sounds
           would offer something more immediately playable , like piano,organ or string sounds,
          without having to tweak the thing for 5 minutes.

           or is this just the inherent nature of the Poly 800 ?

          Thanks
          banterfoder@...

        • Michael Hawkins
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
            what is the main board revision number?

            did you see any solder lands for the battery to be installed in the middle of the board?

            you may need to set the Program Write enable switch to enable before the tape sounds will load into memory.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009

              Hi again,
              I saw no battery on any kind on any of the boards
              I did not see any lands for mounting a battery present on the board I perceive as the main board.
               Am I looking at the right board.?
              Presently, I'm looking at the largest board, the one that is attached to the bottom cover
              and has the in and outs to the back of the Poly.
              There is a white sticker with a handwritten"20121033" on this "KLM - 590 - 2 "  circuit board.
              On one of the main chips (C22)on the same board, there is a printed sticker with a red "830216"
              (If I'm not looking at the right board, please point me in the right direction.)

               The Serial # on the bottom side cover of the Poly 800  is "003923"

              That about all I can see at this point to ID it...?

              We'll see what happens with the tape sounds when I have another chance to get around to it again.
              ( I'll try enabling the program write switch and cross my fingers.).

              Thanks

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009

                Hi!

                My Poly800 also has no onboard battery – the memory backup is only done via the big batteries

                That Poly800 can play with.

                So I added a Lithium battery and a diode so that I can live without the big batteries – I only use the

                Poly800 with a wall wart supply.

                I used a 3V lithium battery and a schottky diode (BAT48) in series and connected it to cathode of D15 and

                D23 – this is the VCC pin of the 6116 RAM chip.

                So the RAM can be powered via the internal big batteries, the small lithium battery or the normal

                power supply if connected. The highest voltage wins and the diode protect the batteries from exploding.

                Ciao
                Peter

                http://come.to/synpro

                Coming in a few days – an addon that is also useful for the Poly800: the “datadial”

                http://go.to/datadial

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                  Thanks Peter and Michael

                  I just was able to get the factory sounds to load properly, (yes, the write switch must also be enabled when uploading tape to the Poly).
                  After doing so and checking out the factory sounds,
                  I then powered  down, unplugged the wall supply.
                  When I reattached it and powered it back up up it retained the factory settings
                  .
                  So... I'm assuming my internal battery, (where-ever the heck it is), is still functioning.
                  and it will save any custom patterns or sequences I write to it, as soon as I get around to attempt those features..

                  I'll probably adapt a 9 volt dry cell to the connector for the 9v wall plug and be good to go
                  for now.
                  (one less chord to worry about tripping over.)

                  Though I'm still obviously learning my way around it,
                  I've got loads of patches to try and plenty of outboard gear to effect the sounds coming out of the poly, enough to keep me busy for some time..though I may at some point want to try to modify it..?

                  Way Cool!

                  Thanks again for the info..
                  Bob Sweeney
                  banterfoder@...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009

                    KLM - 590 - 2 means you have the second version of the board (there were several although the differences are very small).

                    I don't the version 2 board has the battery on board.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                      Hi!

                      I had a look into my Poly800. I have the KLM-596-2 version... no battery onboard.

                      I think that your board is also a KLM-596-2 and not a KLM-590-2 - right?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                        Yes it's a " KLM - 590 - 2 "

                        No worries though, I think I'm getting the thing figured out.
                        .
                        I'm presently checking out how the midi interfaces with some of .my other gear and am having some issues, though I've tweaked the parameters,
                        It's not meshing all that well as I can't seem to get it to respond to midi in from my foot pedals, and midi out seems to be hitting wrong notes on my pc piano program, but it's not really that vital, as I have plenty of midi toys..