HAWK-800 road map update

  • patrioticduo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hi Poly fans,

      here is a little update on the HAWK-800 road map.

      Great progress has been made toward making the MK2 kit ready. The
      HAWK-800 printed circuit board design has been revised to provide
      connection to the efx board of the MK2. A small batch of five boards
      have been ordered. So I expect to be able to build the first MK2 kit
      in February or March at the latest. Then all that will remain to do is
      the reverse engineering of the software control of the effects chips.
      Also, a significant rewrite of patch management will be required to
      support the MK2 additional parameters.

      The other issue that was becoming critical was the limited amount of
      remaining flash memory. This was a problem that was made even more
      critical by using flash memory to backup the patch storage. Well the
      good news there is that I've been able to begin the process of
      migrating patch storage out of one of the 8K static ram chips by
      rewriting all of the patch handling software so that patches are only
      ever stored in flash rom. By doing that, we are able to remove one of
      the static ram chips and replace it with an additional flash rom. This
      gives us back 8K of memory for software features.

      And in addition to that, the new board revision supports the use of a
      32K flash rom that is bank switchable. This means that one of the 8K
      flash roms can be swapped out with a 32K version. As soon as I get
      these new boards in I will test the bank switching and if all goes
      well then we will have plenty of flash capacity for many, many more
      software features.

      For those of you who have already purchased the kit, you're not left
      out of these improvements. There is a spot on your board to fit the
      additional support chip required for the larger flash rom. And the
      modification of the board won't be difficult. So all existing HAWK-800
      owners will be able to benefit from the new features.

      I'll let you all know how things go as I progress.

      Mike.