Happy New Year and great to hear you've done the hard part of removing
the EPROM socket and IC29. Fun wasn't it?
Yes, if you are able to power up the Poly and get "11 P" then you are
looking good but it is certainly worth loading some patches and making
sure that all of the sound functions work before proceeding on any
Check that detune and chorus works - tells you that "Latch A" is working.
Check that DCO mode single and double mode works and sounds play
correctly in either mode tells you that the TG and "Latch B" is OK.
Writing a patch from, say patch 11 to patch 88, and then checking that
the patch was in fact saved by switching to another patch and then
back to 88 should tell you that static memory (writing to it) is OK.
Sending some MIDI notes to and from the Poly will tell you that the
UART is OK.
Checking that all front panel buttons work, all rear switches work and
checking that all notes play tells you that the keyboard scanning
hardware is OK.
And that should be a good enough test.
--- In email@example.com, Neil Wakeling <neil@...> wrote:
> Hi Mike
> Happy New Year everybody from Scotland.
> Congratulations on producing such a (so far anyway) detailed set of
> I have just got to the "test everything works" stage after prepping the
> Poly800 main board - and it all seems to work! Whether by skill on my
> part, or by lucky chance?
> Question: Does the mere fact that I can programme a sound and the
> controls seem to work, indicate that it is OK, or should I reload all
> memories and check all memory locations, sequencer, etc?
> I have to say that removing the IC29 is quite a step to take (What was
> it Atom said? Non-trivial? I agree). You're kinda committed once you
> start this! I think we'll need a T-shirt after all this - the "I
> removed IC29 and didn't fry my board" T-shirt. It would have been
> easier if my desolderer wasn't old and worn - and the nearest
> electronics shop is about 150 miles away. Its also shown up a serious
> problem (don't worry - I don't blame you) - I can't focus quite so
> to the board as I used to be able to!
> I ended up doing the destructive removal, too.
> I can't proceed to actually building the board and installing it
> tonight, as we need the kitchen table back...
> Best Wishes
> > ============
> > bah!! that's almost like reading through the instructions before
> > btw, i first assembled the board, then prepped the 800. then, after
> > destructively removing the **138 from the 800 read about
> > and the EPROM for testing... i did look through (a small part of)
> > collection, but i didn't find a **138... oh-well... full steam
> > the smasher! doh! the **138 is socketed in the hawk board!