Oscillators dead after mods...?

  • Trever Keith
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi everyone, I'm new to the group (and to the Poly 800). I recently
      bought one which was fully working, and undertook the two popular mods
      ("Moog Slayer" and FM-800) and replaced the battery.

      Since these are pretty simple mods, and I'm pretty experienced with
      this kind of thing, I overconfidently did them all at once (instead of
      testing between each). I think I did a very nice job of it but...

      Somewhere along the way I seem to have killed something. The keyboard
      powers up and operates normally except...no oscillators. The noise
      generator is clearly working, the filter seems to be working normally
      (on the noise), the mods are doing their thing, and obviously the
      output section is working. It seems the oscillators are dead.

      All my work was done with great care...I am very experienced with a
      soldering iron and circuit board work, and there is no visual
      indication that anything was damaged along the way. I was careful
      about the potential for heat damage and static discharge. I checked
      and re-checked everything I did...the mods themselves are correct (and
      seem to be working fine). Still, clearly I did something to something!

      I am not a scope-wielding super-tech...I am good with the mechanical
      stuff, but my knowledge of electronics is basic. So I'm hoping some
      of you here (who clearly know WAY more than I do about this stuff)
      might be able to help me out with diagnosing and fixing the problem.
      At the moment I scarcely know where to begin looking.

      Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Marco Andreetta
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
        You have to reload the sound preset because you changed the battery and lost them. Check in the files sections under preset&patches.

        I suggest to load the original sound bank first (very nice resonant patches and brass) and also to check the poly800 synthmania page:

        http://www.synthmania.com/poly-800.htm

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
          Why didn't I think of that?

          I loaded the sound bank and it works great now. Thanks very much for
          the simple solution!

          --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Marco Andreetta
          <marco_andreetta@...> wrote:

          > You have to reload the sound preset because you changed the battery
          and lost them. Check in the files sections under preset&patches.

          > I suggest to load the original sound bank first (very nice resonant
          patches and brass) and also to check the poly800 synthmania page:

          > http://www.synthmania.com/poly-800.htm
          >

          > Trever Keith <antagonistrecords@...> ha scritto:
          Hi everyone, I'm new to the group (and to the Poly 800). I
          recently
          > bought one which was fully working, and undertook the two popular mods
          > ("Moog Slayer" and FM-800) and replaced the battery.
          >
          > Since these are pretty simple mods, and I'm pretty experienced with
          > this kind of thing, I overconfidently did them all at once (instead of
          > testing between each). I think I did a very nice job of it but...
          >
          > Somewhere along the way I seem to have killed something. The keyboard
          > powers up and operates normally except...no oscillators. The noise
          > generator is clearly working, the filter seems to be working normally
          > (on the noise), the mods are doing their thing, and obviously the
          > output section is working. It seems the oscillators are dead.
          >
          > All my work was done with great care...I am very experienced with a
          > soldering iron and circuit board work, and there is no visual
          > indication that anything was damaged along the way. I was careful
          > about the potential for heat damage and static discharge. I checked
          > and re-checked everything I did...the mods themselves are correct (and
          > seem to be working fine). Still, clearly I did something to something!
          >
          > I am not a scope-wielding super-tech...I am good with the mechanical
          > stuff, but my knowledge of electronics is basic. So I'm hoping some
          > of you here (who clearly know WAY more than I do about this stuff)
          > might be able to help me out with diagnosing and fixing the problem.
          > At the moment I scarcely know where to begin looking.
          >
          > Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.

          > L'email della prossima generazione? Puoi averla con la nuova Yahoo! Mail

        • Manu
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
            > Why didn't I think of that?

            The correct question is: Why don't you think about putting a battery
            inside so you don't have to reload the sounds every time? ;)

            Manu