Poly 800 Super Mod Kit - getting closer

  • korgpolyex800
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 8 6:43 PM
      Hi Poly fans,

      I've been completely swamped with work, family canoe trips, golf and
      using up the last good days of warm weather in 2007. But I haven't
      forgotten my favorite pet project either. Here's another little update.

      I've been looking at our progress so far, what with new sysex
      functions, the new wide playing feature, the odd, even note cascade,
      the global parameters, full sysex single patch dump send and receive
      etc. It's all been good but I know that many other potential mod's
      could be implemented with digital potentiometers etc. But I had a hard
      think about what the first mod kit should look like and I've decided
      that the first kit will be a memory and software upgrade only and will
      NOT have any digital potentiometers on board. However, I have designed
      the board such that adding a second board for real performance control
      through the digital potentiometers will be just a daisy chain of one
      header cable.

      The long and short of it is that I've done about 90 percent of the PCB
      design so that I'll be looking to do a prototype run of the mod kit
      board within the next 30 days or so. The new board will also have a
      third EEPROM so that the space available for new software functions
      will grow past my prototype board by another 8K. So the production mod
      kit will contain a "massive" 24 kilobytes of space plus the original
      boot ROM of 8K.

      I am now going to be contacting board manufacturers to find out how
      much it's going to cost per board with an initial run of 100 boards.
      The question in the back of my mind right now is just how many people
      are totally and completely serious about buying the mod kit. It will
      require removing the ROM socket (IC22) and chip select chip (IC29).
      Both need to be replaced with normal profile IC sockets (supplied in
      the kit). But the removal of the EPROM socket and the chip select
      chips can be tricky to do.

      I would very much appreciate it if I got a definite show of hands from
      as many of you as possible as to whether you are quite serious about
      obtaining the mod kit. I suspect the kit will cost somewhere between
      75 and 100 dollars. Add shipping of not more than say - 10 bucks. I
      think it safe to say the kit will be close to 100 bucks.

      Just how many of you are willing to say - "Count me in" ?

      Any and all feedback will be very much appreciated.

      Mike.
    • hawo_jx
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 8 10:20 PM
        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Poly fans,
        >
        > I've been completely swamped with work, family canoe trips, golf and
        > using up the last good days of warm weather in 2007. But I haven't
        > forgotten my favorite pet project either. Here's another little update.
        >
        > I've been looking at our progress so far, what with new sysex
        > functions, the new wide playing feature, the odd, even note cascade,
        > the global parameters, full sysex single patch dump send and receive
        > etc. It's all been good but I know that many other potential mod's
        > could be implemented with digital potentiometers etc. But I had a hard
        > think about what the first mod kit should look like and I've decided
        > that the first kit will be a memory and software upgrade only and will
        > NOT have any digital potentiometers on board. However, I have designed
        > the board such that adding a second board for real performance control
        > through the digital potentiometers will be just a daisy chain of one
        > header cable.
        >
        > The long and short of it is that I've done about 90 percent of the PCB
        > design so that I'll be looking to do a prototype run of the mod kit
        > board within the next 30 days or so. The new board will also have a
        > third EEPROM so that the space available for new software functions
        > will grow past my prototype board by another 8K. So the production mod
        > kit will contain a "massive" 24 kilobytes of space plus the original
        > boot ROM of 8K.
        >
        > I am now going to be contacting board manufacturers to find out how
        > much it's going to cost per board with an initial run of 100 boards.
        > The question in the back of my mind right now is just how many people
        > are totally and completely serious about buying the mod kit. It will
        > require removing the ROM socket (IC22) and chip select chip (IC29).
        > Both need to be replaced with normal profile IC sockets (supplied in
        > the kit). But the removal of the EPROM socket and the chip select
        > chips can be tricky to do.
        >
        > I would very much appreciate it if I got a definite show of hands from
        > as many of you as possible as to whether you are quite serious about
        > obtaining the mod kit. I suspect the kit will cost somewhere between
        > 75 and 100 dollars. Add shipping of not more than say - 10 bucks. I
        > think it safe to say the kit will be close to 100 bucks.
        >
        > Just how many of you are willing to say - "Count me in" ?
        >
        > Any and all feedback will be very much appreciated.
        >
        > Mike.

        Great
        Count me in:)

        Hawo
      • Marcus Wilson
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 8 10:52 PM
          G'day Mike,

          I'm definately down for one kit, with a possiblity of 2 others

          thanks,

          Marcus Wilson

          On 09/10/2007, at 9:43 AM, korgpolyex800 wrote:

[...]

        • Marco Andreetta

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 9 12:25 AM
              On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, korgpolyex800 wrote:

              > It will require removing the ROM socket (IC22) and chip select chip
              > (IC29). Both need to be replaced with normal profile IC sockets
              > (supplied in the kit). But the removal of the EPROM socket and the chip
              > select chips can be tricky to do.
              =========================

              after removal, will those parts be needed? or will they be superseded by
              new parts that will come with the kit?

              after many years of electronic work, i can say that removing soldered DIP
              chips without damaging the chips or the board SUCKS. of course, they're
              easy to remove if they can be destroyed in the process... just cut all of
              the legs off with a small electronic snips and then remove the legs from
              the board, one at a time.

              --
              ...atom

              ________________________
              http://atom.smasher.org/
              762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

              "America may be the best country in the world, but that's
              kind of like being the valedictorian of summer school."
              -- Dennis Miller
            • Neil Wakeling
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 9 3:36 AM
                I'm up for it (for one unit) depending upon cost here in the UK, and upon Atom Smasher's proviso about not needing the removed parts.

                cheers and good work!
                neil

                korgpolyex800 wrote:

                Just how many of you are willing to say - "Count me in" ?

                Any and all feedback will be very much appreciated.

              • Michael Hawkins
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 9 4:58 AM
                  Hi AS,

                  You won't need the chip select chip - I'll supply two in the kit.

                  So you can pull out the chip select chip by snipping all of the legs off as you suggest.

                  But the EPROM socket is a whole different ball of fun (not) because it is one of those large types where you can't get to the pins to snip them off.

                  So to remove the EPROM socket requires a lot of patience and care.

                  I am going to try a few different methods on the three Poly's that I have and will be recommending the method that works out best. If I find the right set of cutters to chop the socket up while not damaging the board, then I may supply the cutter in the kit too.

                  Now that you point it out to me though, I better work out what the best solution for that may be because it is also plausible to leave the socket in place but it would mean using a really nasty set of header pins to plug into the existing socket. It would not be pretty at all.

                  Mike.

                  ============ ========= ====

                  ____________ _________ ___
                  ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- -

                  "America may be the best country in the world, but that's
                  kind of like being the valedictorian of summer school."
                  -- Dennis Miller

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                • Phoebe
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 9 6:44 AM
                    I definitely want one!

                    Phoebe aka october71
                  • honod3k
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 9 8:13 AM
                      Sounds good to me.
                      Question: Does the new code affect (or control) the other mods
                      mentioned on this board? (Filter mod, FM mod, etc.)
                    • korgpolyex800
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 9 9:11 AM
                        No, I am limiting the initial kit to the memory and software upgrade.

                        The second kit will have the necessary hardware to allow adding a
                        second board that WILL allow control of the filter and FM mod's along
                        with the 12/24 db filter switch etc.

                        And the second kit may be simple enough that we won't actually need a
                        prefabricated board.

                        But for now, it will just be the memory and software upgrade.

                        Keep in mind that the software becomes flashable so we will be able to
                        add new features and functions after you've bought the kit. It is just
                        a matter of writing the new functions into the firmware. You then
                        would do a flash update of the EEPROM's.

                        So I expect to have MANY new functions, including portamento, soon
                        after the hardware kit becomes available.

                        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "honod3k" <cbluff@...> wrote:

                        > Sounds good to me.
                        > Question: Does the new code affect (or control) the other mods
                        > mentioned on this board? (Filter mod, FM mod, etc.)

                      • Russ
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 9 9:35 AM
                          count me in for one also

                        • Rodn Siddall
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 9 11:54 AM

                            Cheers Mike, I'd like one.

                               Rod Siddall.

                            Play Movie Mash-up and win BIG prizes!
                          • synthparts
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 9 4:34 PM
                              Cool. I would hope it would be closer to $50-75 as the synth is only
                              worth $100 on a good day. :) I'm mostly interested in the pot board
                              add-on. Will the mod work in the Poly-800 MK II? If so put me down for
                              a couple...

                              Doug
                              wrote:

                              > Hi Poly fans,
                              >
                              > I've been completely swamped with work, family canoe trips, golf and
                              > using up the last good days of warm weather in 2007. But I haven't
                              > forgotten my favorite pet project either. Here's another little update.
                              >
                              > I've been looking at our progress so far, what with new sysex
                              > functions, the new wide playing feature, the odd, even note cascade,
                              > the global parameters, full sysex single patch dump send and receive
                              > etc. It's all been good but I know that many other potential mod's
                              > could be implemented with digital potentiometers etc. But I had a hard
                              > think about what the first mod kit should look like and I've decided
                              > that the first kit will be a memory and software upgrade only and will
                              > NOT have any digital potentiometers on board. However, I have designed
                              > the board such that adding a second board for real performance control
                              > through the digital potentiometers will be just a daisy chain of one
                              > header cable.
                              >
                              > The long and short of it is that I've done about 90 percent of the PCB
                              > design so that I'll be looking to do a prototype run of the mod kit
                              > board within the next 30 days or so. The new board will also have a
                              > third EEPROM so that the space available for new software functions
                              > will grow past my prototype board by another 8K. So the production mod
                              > kit will contain a "massive" 24 kilobytes of space plus the original
                              > boot ROM of 8K.
                              >
                              > I am now going to be contacting board manufacturers to find out how
                              > much it's going to cost per board with an initial run of 100 boards.
                              > The question in the back of my mind right now is just how many people
                              > are totally and completely serious about buying the mod kit. It will
                              > require removing the ROM socket (IC22) and chip select chip (IC29).
                              > Both need to be replaced with normal profile IC sockets (supplied in
                              > the kit). But the removal of the EPROM socket and the chip select
                              > chips can be tricky to do.
                              >
                              > I would very much appreciate it if I got a definite show of hands from
                              > as many of you as possible as to whether you are quite serious about
                              > obtaining the mod kit. I suspect the kit will cost somewhere between
                              > 75 and 100 dollars. Add shipping of not more than say - 10 bucks. I
                              > think it safe to say the kit will be close to 100 bucks.
                              >
                              > Just how many of you are willing to say - "Count me in" ?
                              >
                              > Any and all feedback will be very much appreciated.
                              >
                              > Mike.

                            • darkcube
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 9 4:47 PM
                                > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@...>

                                >> Just how many of you are willing to say - "Count me in" ?

                                count me in!

                                --darkcube [ detroit techno militia / uberhax0r ]
                                --email : darkcube@... / AOL IM : el8haqr
                                --web : http://www.detroittechnomilitia.com/main
                              • Atom Smasher
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 9 6:49 PM
                                  On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Michael Hawkins wrote:

                                  > But the EPROM socket is a whole different ball of fun (not) because it
                                  > is one of those large types where you can't get to the pins to snip them
                                  > off.
                                  >
                                  > So to remove the EPROM socket requires a lot of patience and care.
                                  ================

                                  or a DREMEL tool...? less patience required ;)

                                  i don't have a poly nearby, so i can't see what a cut-off wheel would
                                  likely bump into. i will say that this method, if feasible *really* should
                                  be done with safety-glasses in a well ventilated (forced air-flow!) area.

                                  --
                                  ...atom

                                  ________________________
                                  http://atom.smasher.org/
                                  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                                  "About all you can do in life is be who you are.
                                  Some people will love you for you. Most will
                                  love you for what you can do for them, and some
                                  won't like you at all."
                                  -- Rita Mae Brown
                                • jure zitnik
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 10 1:18 AM
                                    i'm in.

                                    one thought: you'd be far better off selling the memory kits if you already had some interesting new functionalities. yes, i mean the mono mode with portamento. if you had that finished, i'm sure you'd sell 1000 in less than a month.

                                    cheers,
                                    jure

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 10 2:02 AM
                                      definitely. The mono mode woth portamento alone would make you sell probably 1000 kits.

                                      ============ ====

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 10 5:16 AM
                                        The dremel method is great except that the kit would cost $500 bucks
                                        to remove one socket.

                                        I have not tried the melting iron yet. But I will let you know how it
                                        goes.

                                        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Atom Smasher <atom@...> wrote:

                                        > On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Michael Hawkins wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > But the EPROM socket is a whole different ball of fun (not)
                                        because it
                                        > > is one of those large types where you can't get to the pins to
                                        snip them
                                        > > off.
                                        > >
                                        > > So to remove the EPROM socket requires a lot of patience and care.
                                        > ================
                                        >
                                        > or a DREMEL tool...? less patience required ;)
                                        >
                                        > i don't have a poly nearby, so i can't see what a cut-off wheel would
                                        > likely bump into. i will say that this method, if feasible *really*
                                        should
                                        > be done with safety-glasses in a well ventilated (forced air-flow!)
                                        area.

                                        > --
                                        > ...atom
                                        >
                                        > ________________________
                                        > http://atom.smasher.org/
                                        > 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808
                                        >
                                        > "About all you can do in life is be who you are.
                                        > Some people will love you for you. Most will
                                        > love you for what you can do for them, and some
                                        > won't like you at all."
                                        > -- Rita Mae Brown

                                      • Lars T√∂rnkvist
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 10 6:38 AM
                                          > Just how many of you are willing to say - "Count me in" ?

                                          Count me in!!!

                                          / Lasse T.
                                        • Joseph Smith
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 10 9:38 AM
                                            Hey Mike,
                                            Count me in...
                                            Jobiwan

                                            Joseph C. Smith
                                            Product Manager
                                            Powerhouse Mechanical Repair, Inc.
                                            T (704) 523-5265
                                            F (704) 523-6583
                                            M (704) 651-9952

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 10 1:38 PM
                                              On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, korgpolyex800 wrote:

                                              > The dremel method is great except that the kit would cost $500 bucks to
                                              > remove one socket.
                                              ================

                                              but if one already has a dremel....

                                              --
                                              ...atom

                                              ________________________
                                              http://atom.smasher.org/
                                              762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                                              "If you step back and look at the data, the optimum amount of
                                              red meat you eat should be zero."
                                              -- Walter Willett, M.D., of Brigham and Women's
                                              Hospital, director of a study that found a close
                                              correlation between red meat consumption and
                                              colon cancer.
                                            • Phoebe
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 11 5:38 AM
                                                > but if one already has a dremel....

                                                I agree...I don't think you need to supply the tools required for the kit. If the buyer can't do it
                                                themselves, then they'll just have to pay someone else to do it for them. That's pretty much
                                                the way all kits are.

                                                phoebe
                                              • Erik Hines
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 11 1:12 PM
                                                  I have my Dremel tool collecting dust, eagerly awaiting the new mod!!

                                                  Erik