New Poly 800 EX 800 Yahoo group members

  • korgpolyex800
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 2, 2007
      Over the last six months or more, we've seen many new Poly 800 and EX
      800 enthusiasts join our group - to you all we say welcome.

      If you have a moment feel free to drop into the polls and add your
      opinions to the various polls that are still open.

      And also feel free to let us know how you came to become a Poly fan
      and what drives you to be still using one in the year 2007.

      Thanks,

      The moderator - Mike.
    • Terje Winther
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 3, 2007
        Hi all,
        I was given a Poly-800 (mk I) for free some time ago, probably because
        I have some knowledge into synthesizers already, as you can tell from
        my home page, and the woman who gave it to me no longer had any use for
        it. It was in perfect shape both technically and cosmetically. It even
        came with the original cassett with the factory sounds. I downloaded
        the user manual, and through some contacts I was able to get hold of
        the service manual.
        However, it didn´t had any wall-wart power supply, and all I tried I
        couldn´t get it to work properly. Finally I reconfigured an older
        wall-wart power I had, bought new batteries, and made it work again.
        After some trial-and-error I got the factory sounds loaded, so now it
        plays like new.
        I set it up at the family Macintosh, so that my kids could have a go at
        it (and leave my other keyboards alone! - they usually drive me mad
        whamming away on my Yamaha DX-7 in the studio), but every time I´m at
        the Mac reading email (like now), I usually jams a little on the
        Poly-800, and now - to my surprise! - I am thinking about integrating
        it into my keyboard rig! It actually sounds amazingly good. I am
        planning to do some of the standard mods (moog slayer etc.) when I get
        the time (too many projects right now). I do like Korg keyboards of
        old, and have used a lot of them, but I never got into the - for me -
        "newer" Korg synths, like the Poly-800 at the time when they were new.
        I remember at the time that I thought they sounded too cheesy. Whether
        it is time or my ears, it doesn´t sound too bad now. I guess I am also
        better at programming these days, so I can get some good sounds out of
        it.
        I searched out this group because I needed to get the Poly-800 up and
        running, and I am thankful for all the help I got. I thought about
        leaving now that the Poly-800 works again, but you all seems like good
        folks, and the info and discussions here are nice and interesting, so
        I´m still here.
        I am a norwegian composer and synthesist, I occasionally make some
        music, both solo and with my band, and perform live and record albums.

        Thanks a lot, and all the best to all of you.

        Terje Winther
        http://www.wintherstormer.no/

        > Over the last six months or more, we've seen many new Poly 800 and EX
        > 800 enthusiasts join our group - to you all we say welcome.
        >
        > And also feel free to let us know how you came to become a Poly fan
        > and what drives you to be still using one in the year 2007.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > The moderator - Mike.

        tw. :)

        "Those great moments come when musicians are playing together..."
        (Bob Moog)
      • ftourist
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 3, 2007
          Hi,
          I got my Poly 800 mkI about 6 years ago, did the original filter mod
          at some point, and few years later converted to the Moog Slayer.
          I enjoyed the sound and simplicity of the programming.
          I moved a few years ago and the Poly was rotated out of my setup, but
          I just rearranged things so it's back. I thought I'd see if anything
          new was going on with 800 users, so I joined this group.

          Chris

          --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@...>
          wrote:

          > Over the last six months or more, we've seen many new Poly 800 and EX
          > 800 enthusiasts join our group - to you all we say welcome.
          >
          > If you have a moment feel free to drop into the polls and add your
          > opinions to the various polls that are still open.
          >
          > And also feel free to let us know how you came to become a Poly fan
          > and what drives you to be still using one in the year 2007.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > The moderator - Mike.

        • b_e_r_n_a_r_d_g_u_i_l_l_a_u_m_e
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 4, 2007
            I play in two bands, one straight rock formation, and a pop-songwriter duo. When I was
            looking for a new synth a friend gave me the advice to try out a Poly 800. He said it is the
            best you could get in terms of really good sounds at a fair price - and it is small and super
            light.

            I got a Mk1 on ebay just a while ago and am now totally in love with this machine, its sound
            and the easy programming. Unfortunately it crashed but I already got good advice from
            people in this forum. As soon as there's more time I will repair it :)

            To complement my set-up for live shows I will for sure try to get a second Poly 800, or
            eventually try out a DW-8000 (am curious what this one can do).
          • Neil Wakeling
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 9, 2007
              Hi All,

              The new mod being developed sounds fantastic. I bought my Poly800
              (MK1) in 1985 as a fresh young engineering student - I shan't say how
              much it was except it was a lot!! (OK, about £300) I think the MKII
              was just coming out.

              I made soundtracks with the Poly, a 4-track and my own home-made
              monolythic synth. My Poly is still in fantastic condition as its only
              ever been used in my own studio - apart from the battery compartment
              which suffered from leaky batteries. I just love the sounds you can
              get, and the limitations of the one-filter which can be used
              creatively. As you all know, of course.

              I have several other sound modules, my main keyboard is the Ensoniq
              VFX-SD, still a fantastic keyboard.

              Cheers,
              neil

              wrote:

              > And also feel free to let us know how you came to become a Poly fan
              > and what drives you to be still using one in the year 2007.

            • Michael Hawkins
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 22, 2007
                Hi Poly fans,

                Here's another little software progress update for today.

                I've completed the guts of the global mode code. You press the step key to get into global mode. You are then presented with 11 GL 11 on the display. You then use the numeric keypad to select the desired global parameter and use the up down buttons to set the value. There are potentially 64 different global parameters. Global 11 is an important one because it is used to execute specific commands (up to 63 commands are possible). The command that you execute is determined by the data value of global parameter 11. Current planned commands are:

                11 - No Operation
                12 - All Notes Off - (for those panic stuck note situations)
                13 - Sysex dump all operating patches
                14 - Sysex dump sequencer data
                15 - Sysex dump single patch from operating bank
                16 - Sysex dump all patches from selected patch bank
                17 - Sysex dump single patch from selected patch bank
                18 - Sysex dump all patches from all banks
                21 - Copy operating bank to selected bank
                22 - Copy selected bank to operating bank
                23 - Copy current operating patch to selected patch in selected bank
                24 - Copy selected patch in selected bank to current operating patch

                To execute a command, you select global parameter 11 then set the parameter value to the desired (as table above shows) command number and then press the write key to execute it.

                Then, the current global parameters for controlling the function of the EX800 are as follows:

                21 - Omni On, Off/auto - The module will come up with omni off when set to off here, 0 or 1
                22 - Keyboard MIDI TX channel - 0=off, 1-16 is TX channel
                23 - Joystick MIDI TX channel - 0=off, 1-16 is TX channel
                24 - Local keyboard control on off - 0 or 1
                25 - Local joystick control on off - 0 or 1
                26 - Sequencer MIDI TX channel - 0=off, 1-16 is TX channel
                27 - Joystick X axis MSB assigned CC change number - 0-63
                28 - Joystick Y axis MSB assigned CC change number - 0 - 63

                31 - Extended playing range on off - 0 or 1

                Now you can see I have already started allocating various globals that will be used with the Poly 800 (for joystick and keyboard for example) and the only executable global I have working as of right now is the All Notes Off command (which I just got working last night) but you get the idea. Also, you may have noticed that some of the commands mention the "operating" patch bank and the "selected patch bank". This is referring to the four additional banks of patches that I envisage will be available when I write the software to support them. The question is, who of us really needs another four banks of 64 patches? Or is that just plain overkill for this instrument?

                Mike H.

              • korgpolyex800
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 22, 2007
                  Oh and the other thing I did was to integrate the original sysex dump
                  code for the EX800 and tape code back into the software so that now we
                  have single patch dump and receive as well as Korg's original. I still
                  intend to break out our own sysex dump functions because Korg's is
                  just so awful but it will be important to keep the original for
                  backward compatibility too.

                  And, I've determined that we'll be needing 24K of ROM so the hardware
                  artwork for the new circuit board is now being worked on. My code just
                  isn't very efficient so the extra 8K of ROM (over the originally
                  planned 16K) will help a lot.

                  Mike H.
                • jusufzemplin
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 22, 2007
                    Wonderful news again !! Thank you Mike.
                    About 4 banks : where it could be stored ? In some memory expansion
                    on new hardware ? Of course, it would be very nice feature. May be
                    now we are supposing it is not useful. But what, when we implement
                    other new sound-editing fatures ? So if it is almost done, keep new
                    banks possibility, please .

                    Jozef
                  • korgpolyex800
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 22, 2007
                      Hi Jozef,

                      The hardware I've built has 16K or battery backed up static RAM. So
                      there is a huge amount of memory available for bank storage of patches.

                      Each patch currently uses only 21 bytes so the entire 64 patches use
                      only 1,344 bytes. If we consider adding another twenty parameters to
                      each patch then I could imagine using maybe 32 bytes for each patch.
                      So that would use a total of 2,048 bytes (2K). So if we have four
                      storage banks we would end up using 8K out of the total 16K. I
                      definitely think we have enough RAM to do it.

                      It's just a matter of writing the software to support it.

                      Mike H.

                      --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "jusufzemplin" <jusuf@...> wrote:

                      > Wonderful news again !! Thank you Mike.
                      > About 4 banks : where it could be stored ? In some memory expansion
                      > on new hardware ? Of course, it would be very nice feature. May be
                      > now we are supposing it is not useful. But what, when we implement
                      > other new sound-editing fatures ? So if it is almost done, keep new
                      > banks possibility, please .
                      >
                      > Jozef

                    • Erik Hines
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 22, 2007
                        At first glance, I thought 'wow, 4 addl banks of 64?!, I'd never
                        fill all those up.'. Considering that there will be new parameters
                        available for editing, those banks could be useful. How about
                        dedicating one bank to sequence banks (allowing multiple sequences
                        to be stored in memory) I personally dont use the sequencer at all,
                        but I might use it more often if I can store multiple sequences and
                        access them via program change or other 'on the fly method'.

                        Refresh me, will the mod be able to take advantage of any of the
                        hardware mods (i.e. Moog SLayer and FM mod?) If so, I guarantee
                        those banks will get filled!!! Also, what's the possibility of
                        adding addl' filter features (i.E Bandpass, 12\24 LPF, peak.) I
                        remeber that there were addl envelopes that were possibly going to
                        be implemented as well (Panning envelope or Random pan a
                        possibility?) Just a few things to think about...

                        Erik

                        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hawkins
                        <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Poly fans,
                        >
                        > Here's another little software progress update for today.
                        >
                        > I've completed the guts of the global mode code. You press the
                        step key to get into global mode. You are then presented with 11 GL
                        11 on the display. You then use the numeric keypad to select the
                        desired global parameter and use the up down buttons to set the
                        value. There are potentially 64 different global parameters. Global
                        11 is an important one because it is used to execute specific
                        commands (up to 63 commands are possible). The command that you
                        execute is determined by the data value of global parameter 11.
                        Current planned commands are:

                        > 11 - No Operation
                        > 12 - All Notes Off - (for those panic stuck note situations)
                        > 13 - Sysex dump all operating patches
                        > 14 - Sysex dump sequencer data
                        > 15 - Sysex dump single patch from operating bank
                        > 16 - Sysex dump all patches from selected patch bank
                        > 17 - Sysex dump single patch from selected patch bank
                        > 18 - Sysex dump all patches from all banks
                        > 21 - Copy operating bank to selected bank
                        > 22 - Copy selected bank to operating bank
                        > 23 - Copy current operating patch to selected patch in selected
                        bank
                        > 24 - Copy selected patch in selected bank to current operating
                        patch

                        > To execute a command, you select global parameter 11 then set the
                        parameter value to the desired (as table above shows) command number
                        and then press the write key to execute it.

                        > Then, the current global parameters for controlling the function
                        of the EX800 are as follows:

                        > 21 - Omni On, Off/auto - The module will come up with omni off
                        when set to off here, 0 or 1
                        > 22 - Keyboard MIDI TX channel - 0=off, 1-16 is TX channel
                        > 23 - Joystick MIDI TX channel - 0=off, 1-16 is TX channel
                        > 24 - Local keyboard control on off - 0 or 1
                        > 25 - Local joystick control on off - 0 or 1
                        > 26 - Sequencer MIDI TX channel - 0=off, 1-16 is TX channel
                        > 27 - Joystick X axis MSB assigned CC change number - 0-63
                        > 28 - Joystick Y axis MSB assigned CC change number - 0 - 63
                        >
                        > 31 - Extended playing range on off - 0 or 1
                        >
                        > Now you can see I have already started allocating various globals
                        that will be used with the Poly 800 (for joystick and keyboard for
                        example) and the only executable global I have working as of right
                        now is the All Notes Off command (which I just got working last
                        night) but you get the idea. Also, you may have noticed that some of
                        the commands mention the "operating" patch bank and the "selected
                        patch bank". This is referring to the four additional banks of
                        patches that I envisage will be available when I write the software
                        to support them. The question is, who of us really needs another
                        four banks of 64 patches? Or is that just plain overkill for this
                        instrument?

                        > Mike H.
                        >

                        > ---------------------------------
                        new Car Finder tool.

                      • korgpolyex800
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 24, 2007
                          Hi Erik,

                          Yes, the mod kit is going to include a couple of digital
                          potentiometers that will be under the control of MG's or EG's.

                          And yes, I think having a couple of selectable sequences to choose
                          from is a great idea too.

                          And yes, I hope to put in the 12/24 db switch as well.

                          But initially, the kit will probably come out without all of these
                          things. The good news is that the EEPROM's are programmable and I have
                          already written the software to convert the machine code into sysex.
                          And I already have the code written and working that allows you to
                          download new firmware to the EEPROM's. So as each new function is
                          developed and tested, anyone who has the mod kit will be able to
                          download new firmware and upgrade their Poly.

                          So the question is really, which new functions will come out with the
                          mod kit first?

                          Mike H.

                          --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Hines" <sablerock@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > Now you can see I have already started allocating various globals
                          > that will be used with the Poly 800 (for joystick and keyboard for
                          > example) and the only executable global I have working as of right
                          > now is the All Notes Off command (which I just got working last
                          > night) but you get the idea. Also, you may have noticed that some of
                          > the commands mention the "operating" patch bank and the "selected
                          > patch bank". This is referring to the four additional banks of
                          > patches that I envisage will be available when I write the software
                          > to support them. The question is, who of us really needs another
                          > four banks of 64 patches? Or is that just plain overkill for this
                          > instrument?
                          > >
                          > > Mike H.
                          > >

                          > > ---------------------------------
                          > > Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos

                        • Erik Hines
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 24, 2007
                            Realistically, when do you think the mod kit will be avail for beta
                            release?

                            Erik

                            <korgpolyex800@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            for
                            > > example) and the only executable global I have working as of
                            right
                            > > now is the All Notes Off command (which I just got working last
                            > > night) but you get the idea. Also, you may have noticed that
                            some of
                            > > the commands mention the "operating" patch bank and
                            the "selected
                            > > patch bank". This is referring to the four additional banks of
                            > > patches that I envisage will be available when I write the
                            software
                            > > to support them. The question is, who of us really needs another
                            > > four banks of 64 patches? Or is that just plain overkill for
                            this
                            > > instrument?
                            > > >
                            > > > Mike H.
                            > > >

                            > > > ---------------------------------
                            > > > Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo!

                          • patrioticduo
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 24, 2007
                              Hi Erik,

                              I am aiming for the hardware kit to be available no later than December.

                              As far as the firmware goes, it will definitely have the sysex
                              enhancements as well as the global parameters. Less certain is how
                              much of the additional EG and MG functions will exist in the initial
                              firmware. At this point, I've not completed hacking that part of the
                              code so it is a little less certain whether I'll have new EG's etc by
                              the time the hardware kit comes out.

                              Mike.

                            • Phoebe
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 25, 2007
                                > And yes, I think having a couple of selectable sequences to choose
                                > from is a great idea too.

                                How about a choice between the sequencer or an arpeggiator? Is this
                                possible? And a unison mode?

                                Sorry if these questions have been answered already, I've been trying
                                to keep up with the new info as best I can.

                                Thanks for all your hard work!

                                Phoebe aka october71
                              • korgpolyex800
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 25, 2007
                                  Hi Phoebe,

                                  Yes, I am looking at implementing both selectable recorded sequences
                                  and an arpeggiator function. I am leaning toward doing the arpeggiator
                                  first because, to be honest, I think they are alot more useful and fun
                                  and I suspect it will be easier to write an arpeggiator than it will
                                  be to rewrite the sequencer code.

                                  As a side note, I just had a another small breakthrough today. I had
                                  been having all sorts of trouble getting my All Notes Off controller
                                  global mode send message to work but while waiting to get the truck
                                  oil changed I had a little moment of realization and raced home to
                                  test out my fixed up code.

                                  And bingo! It worked like a charm. So I can now enter global mode and
                                  send an All Notes Off MIDI controller message. It's not the most
                                  useful function I can think of but it proves the code is working at
                                  sending MIDI messages from the EX800. I didn't realize that the EX800
                                  can't send any MIDI from it's keypad. So now I'm going to add a whole
                                  bunch of additional commands to the EX800 code so that it can send
                                  program change, MIDI start/stop etc.

                                  For all of those newbies here, please do introduce yourself and let us
                                  know how you came to Poly fans. And don't worry about making
                                  suggestions. We need to hear them all because we might miss some great
                                  idea if we don't all pitch in.

                                  Mike H.

                                  --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Phoebe" <october71@...> wrote:

                                  > > And yes, I think having a couple of selectable sequences to choose
                                  > > from is a great idea too.
                                  >
                                  > How about a choice between the sequencer or an arpeggiator? Is this
                                  > possible? And a unison mode?
                                  >
                                  > Sorry if these questions have been answered already, I've been trying
                                  > to keep up with the new info as best I can.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for all your hard work!
                                  >
                                  > Phoebe aka october71

                                • Phoebe
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 26, 2007
                                    > For all of those newbies here, please do introduce yourself and let us
                                    > know how you came to Poly fans. And don't worry about making
                                    > suggestions. We need to hear them all because we might miss some great
                                    > idea if we don't all pitch in.

                                    Well, I'm certainly not a newbie to the list...I think I've been on
                                    here for a couple of years now; I just don't post very much.

                                    I came to own my Poly800 when my friend Paul gave it to me over two
                                    years ago. It has a couple of minor issues: two of the keys aren't
                                    working (probably needs a cleaning) and the jacks are a bit crackly
                                    (again, probably just a cleaning). Otherwise it's in pretty good
                                    shape. I am into making my own musical instrument projects, and I'm
                                    considering making my 800 into a compact tabletop-style synth module,
                                    but I don't know if it will still work without the keyboard or not. I
                                    know what some of you will say, why not buy an EX, right? Well, I want
                                    it to be even more compact than the EX800. I'd like it to be big
                                    enough to house the display, keypad and all the controls and that's
                                    about it. I'd play it strictly through midi, either with a controller
                                    or a sequencer. My music is basically loop-based, and I think it would
                                    work quite well for me this way.

                                    That's about it!

                                    cya,
                                    phoebe aka october71
                                  • korgpolyex800
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 1, 2007
                                      Apologies for implying you were a newbie.

                                      The problem with trying to make either the Poly or even the EX800
                                      smaller for a tabletop is that the main circuit board is not much
                                      smaller than the rectangular shape of the EX800 itself. That leaves
                                      making a rack mount version. That's something I've thought about a few
                                      times. And now that I know so much about the firmware it would be very
                                      possible to do by using a small LCD display and keypad unit. But I am
                                      not so sure it would be worth all of the effort. Nevertheless, I am
                                      thinking about putting the LCD interface circuit onto the new mod kit
                                      so that we can do it in the future - perhaps.

                                      Mike.

                                      --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Phoebe" <october71@...> wrote:

                                      > > For all of those newbies here, please do introduce yourself and let us
                                      > > know how you came to Poly fans. And don't worry about making
                                      > > suggestions. We need to hear them all because we might miss some great
                                      > > idea if we don't all pitch in.
                                      >
                                      > Well, I'm certainly not a newbie to the list...I think I've been on
                                      > here for a couple of years now; I just don't post very much.
                                      >
                                      > I came to own my Poly800 when my friend Paul gave it to me over two
                                      > years ago. It has a couple of minor issues: two of the keys aren't
                                      > working (probably needs a cleaning) and the jacks are a bit crackly
                                      > (again, probably just a cleaning). Otherwise it's in pretty good
                                      > shape. I am into making my own musical instrument projects, and I'm
                                      > considering making my 800 into a compact tabletop-style synth module,
                                      > but I don't know if it will still work without the keyboard or not. I
                                      > know what some of you will say, why not buy an EX, right? Well, I want
                                      > it to be even more compact than the EX800. I'd like it to be big
                                      > enough to house the display, keypad and all the controls and that's
                                      > about it. I'd play it strictly through midi, either with a controller
                                      > or a sequencer. My music is basically loop-based, and I think it would
                                      > work quite well for me this way.
                                      >
                                      > That's about it!
                                      >
                                      > cya,
                                      > phoebe aka october71

                                    • Marcus Wilson
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 1, 2007
                                        I was contemplating turning "Gappy" my half keyed poly into just such a rackmount beast so as to have the extra voices offered by the third poly, without the desktop footprint.

                                        certainly not too difficult just gotta do it

                                        Im still really loving the idea of all parameters visible and adjustable at one time via lcd displays and switches under the present static information panel.

                                        best regards,

                                        Marcus Wilson

                                        On 01/09/2007, at 10:12 PM, korgpolyex800 wrote:

                                        Apologies for implying you were a newbie.

                                        The problem with trying to make either the Poly or even the EX800
                                        smaller for a tabletop is that the main circuit board is not much
                                        smaller than the rectangular shape of the EX800 itself. That leaves
                                        making a rack mount version. That's something I've thought about a few
                                        times. And now that I know so much about the firmware it would be very
                                        possible to do by using a small LCD display and keypad unit. But I am
                                        not so sure it would be worth all of the effort. Nevertheless, I am
                                        thinking about putting the LCD interface circuit onto the new mod kit
                                        so that we can do it in the future - perhaps.

                                        Mike.

                                        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Phoebe" <october71@...> wrote:

                                        > > For all of those newbies here, please do introduce yourself and let us
                                        > > know how you came to Poly fans. And don't worry about making
                                        > > suggestions. We need to hear them all because we might miss some great
                                        > > idea if we don't all pitch in.
                                        >
                                        > Well, I'm certainly not a newbie to the list...I think I've been on
                                        > here for a couple of years now; I just don't post very much.
                                        >
                                        > I came to own my Poly800 when my friend Paul gave it to me over two
                                        > years ago. It has a couple of minor issues: two of the keys aren't
                                        > working (probably needs a cleaning) and the jacks are a bit crackly
                                        > (again, probably just a cleaning). Otherwise it's in pretty good
                                        > shape. I am into making my own musical instrument projects, and I'm
                                        > considering making my 800 into a compact tabletop-style synth module,
                                        > but I don't know if it will still work without the keyboard or not. I
                                        > know what some of you will say, why not buy an EX, right? Well, I want
                                        > it to be even more compact than the EX800. I'd like it to be big
                                        > enough to house the display, keypad and all the controls and that's
                                        > about it. I'd play it strictly through midi, either with a controller
                                        > or a sequencer. My music is basically loop-based, and I think it would
                                        > work quite well for me this way.
                                        >
                                        > That's about it!
                                        >
                                        > cya,
                                        > phoebe aka october71

                                      • Phoebe
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 2, 2007
                                          wrote:

                                          > Apologies for implying you were a newbie.

                                          No worries! =)

                                          > The problem with trying to make either the Poly or even the EX800
                                          > smaller for a tabletop is that the main circuit board is not much
                                          > smaller than the rectangular shape of the EX800 itself. That leaves
                                          > making a rack mount version. That's something I've thought about a few
                                          > times. And now that I know so much about the firmware it would be very
                                          > possible to do by using a small LCD display and keypad unit. But I am
                                          > not so sure it would be worth all of the effort. Nevertheless, I am
                                          > thinking about putting the LCD interface circuit onto the new mod kit
                                          > so that we can do it in the future - perhaps.

                                          Well, making it smaller than the EX doesn't matter to me so much...it
                                          it were possible, cool. If not, that's ok too. My friend Paul who gave
                                          me the Poly said the main board was pretty small, so that spawned that
                                          idea in my head. I have yet to open it up myself, though. My main
                                          concern is whether or not it will work without the attached keyboard;
                                          obviously that's kind of key to whether the project would work or not
                                          (no pun intended!).

                                          I don't know when I'll tackle that, though. I just finished my second
                                          x0xb0x and I want to take a break before my next project. I definitely
                                          want to do your Poly mod kit though, once it's ready.

                                          cya,
                                          phoebe aka october71
                                        • korgpolyex800
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 3, 2007
                                            Hi Marcus,

                                            Someone else is going to have to do that massive hardware mod with all
                                            of those switches and displays under the big existing front panel.

                                            But now that I have another two Poly800's (in pretty bad shape) to
                                            work with I will probably be building my own rack mount units too.
                                            That will have to wait while I get this mod kit together first.

                                            Has anyone on this list done a rack mount mod already? I think we
                                            would all like to get a look at one.

                                            Mike.

                                            --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Marcus Wilson <JB@...> wrote:

                                            > I was contemplating turning "Gappy" my half keyed poly into just such
                                            > a rackmount beast so as to have the extra voices offered by the third
                                            > poly, without the desktop footprint.
                                            >
                                            > certainly not too difficult just gotta do it
                                            >
                                            > Im still really loving the idea of all parameters visible and
                                            > adjustable at one time via lcd displays and switches under the
                                            > present static information panel.
                                            >
                                            > best regards,
                                            >
                                            > Marcus Wilson
                                            >
                                            > On 01/09/2007, at 10:12 PM, korgpolyex800 wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > Apologies for implying you were a newbie.
                                            > >
                                            > > The problem with trying to make either the Poly or even the EX800
                                            > > smaller for a tabletop is that the main circuit board is not much
                                            > > smaller than the rectangular shape of the EX800 itself. That leaves
                                            > > making a rack mount version. That's something I've thought about a few
                                            > > times. And now that I know so much about the firmware it would be very
                                            > > possible to do by using a small LCD display and keypad unit. But I am
                                            > > not so sure it would be worth all of the effort. Nevertheless, I am
                                            > > thinking about putting the LCD interface circuit onto the new mod kit
                                            > > so that we can do it in the future - perhaps.
                                            > >
                                            > > Mike.

                                            > > let us
                                            > > some great
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Well, I'm certainly not a newbie to the list...I think I've been on
                                            > > > here for a couple of years now; I just don't post very much.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I came to own my Poly800 when my friend Paul gave it to me over two
                                            > > > years ago. It has a couple of minor issues: two of the keys aren't
                                            > > > working (probably needs a cleaning) and the jacks are a bit crackly
                                            > > > (again, probably just a cleaning). Otherwise it's in pretty good
                                            > > > shape. I am into making my own musical instrument projects, and I'm
                                            > > > considering making my 800 into a compact tabletop-style synth
                                            > > module,
                                            > > > but I don't know if it will still work without the keyboard or
                                            > > not. I
                                            > > > know what some of you will say, why not buy an EX, right? Well, I
                                            > > want
                                            > > > it to be even more compact than the EX800. I'd like it to be big
                                            > > > enough to house the display, keypad and all the controls and that's
                                            > > > about it. I'd play it strictly through midi, either with a
                                            > > controller
                                            > > > or a sequencer. My music is basically loop-based, and I think it
                                            > > would
                                            > > > work quite well for me this way.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > That's about it!
                                            > > >
                                            > > > cya,
                                            > > > phoebe aka october71

                                          • korgpolyex800
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 3, 2007
                                              Hi Phoebe,

                                              Yes, the Poly 800 will definitely work with the keyboard assembly
                                              disconnected from the main board.

                                              The EX800 uses the same board and the socket for the keyboard simply
                                              has nothing plugged into it.

                                              Mike.

                                              --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Phoebe" <october71@...> wrote:

                                              > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Apologies for implying you were a newbie.
                                              >
                                              > No worries! =)
                                              >
                                              > > The problem with trying to make either the Poly or even the EX800
                                              > > smaller for a tabletop is that the main circuit board is not much
                                              > > smaller than the rectangular shape of the EX800 itself. That leaves
                                              > > making a rack mount version. That's something I've thought about a few
                                              > > times. And now that I know so much about the firmware it would be very
                                              > > possible to do by using a small LCD display and keypad unit. But I am
                                              > > not so sure it would be worth all of the effort. Nevertheless, I am
                                              > > thinking about putting the LCD interface circuit onto the new mod kit
                                              > > so that we can do it in the future - perhaps.
                                              >
                                              > Well, making it smaller than the EX doesn't matter to me so much...it
                                              > it were possible, cool. If not, that's ok too. My friend Paul who gave
                                              > me the Poly said the main board was pretty small, so that spawned that
                                              > idea in my head. I have yet to open it up myself, though. My main
                                              > concern is whether or not it will work without the attached keyboard;
                                              > obviously that's kind of key to whether the project would work or not
                                              > (no pun intended!).
                                              >
                                              > I don't know when I'll tackle that, though. I just finished my second
                                              > x0xb0x and I want to take a break before my next project. I definitely
                                              > want to do your Poly mod kit though, once it's ready.
                                              >
                                              > cya,
                                              > phoebe aka october71

                                            • Phoebe
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 4, 2007
                                                wrote:

                                                > Hi Phoebe,
                                                >
                                                > Yes, the Poly 800 will definitely work with the keyboard assembly
                                                > disconnected from the main board.
                                                >
                                                > The EX800 uses the same board and the socket for the keyboard simply
                                                > has nothing plugged into it.

                                                Great! That's all I needed to know =)

                                                Thanks!

                                                cya,
                                                Phoebe aka october71
                                              • funkymonkeypeter
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 21, 2007
                                                  Greetings all, I have been a high speed lurker for the last couple of
                                                  days, absorbing and downloading everything I could have possibly
                                                  needed so far to get a near mint POLY-800 up and running after picking
                                                  one up on eBay a couple of days ago. I bought it to fill the
                                                  technological gap between my Rhodes 73 stage (through a Roland GP-16)
                                                  and a KORG M1. I was looking at getting some synth cards for the
                                                  korg and figured that for about the same price I could get the real thing.

                                                  I have the pile of parts for both the Slayer and FM mods and will
                                                  fortify with caffeine and start breathing my favorite fume (mmm flux).

                                                  As well I picked up a surface mount 3v lithium battery holder for a no
                                                  C-cell memory hold.

                                                  Speaking of hold...is there some way to get the hold button to behave
                                                  as a momentary switch instead of a latch? I'd gladly change the 'next
                                                  program' pedal input for something even mildly resembling a sustain pedal.

                                                  Also, is there a tune pot on the board so that when the tune slider is
                                                  centered i'm on 440? I think i have a bit of solid state drift.

                                                  The only other thing I was thinking of doing is to swap the midi out
                                                  connector for a 7-pin DIN and make a 90deg 7-pin >>to>> 2x 5-pin +
                                                  9vDC 40' cable (for power, and midi in/out in one cable), taped to a
                                                  2-channel mic line for L-R output in case i want to go all 'keytar'
                                                  and get in the face of the lead guitar.

                                                  P.S. Nice work olaf on the slayer diagram, who'da thought you could
                                                  mix surrealism with schematics.

                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Over the last six months or more, we've seen many new Poly 800 and EX
                                                  > 800 enthusiasts join our group - to you all we say welcome.
                                                  >
                                                  > If you have a moment feel free to drop into the polls and add your
                                                  > opinions to the various polls that are still open.
                                                  >
                                                  > And also feel free to let us know how you came to become a Poly fan
                                                  > and what drives you to be still using one in the year 2007.
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks,
                                                  >
                                                  > The moderator - Mike.

                                                • korgpolyex800
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 22, 2007
                                                    Welcome Pete,

                                                    I recently discovered the hold/sustain bit setting for each note and
                                                    the way in which the hold button works. So I think it should not be
                                                    too difficult to change the code I'm working on to make the shift
                                                    pedal become a sustain pedal.

                                                    I'll keep you posted.

                                                    And welcome!

                                                    Mike.

                                                    --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "funkymonkeypeter"
                                                    <funkymonkey3.14@...> wrote:

                                                    > Greetings all, I have been a high speed lurker for the last couple of
                                                    > days, absorbing and downloading everything I could have possibly
                                                    > needed so far to get a near mint POLY-800 up and running after picking
                                                    > one up on eBay a couple of days ago. I bought it to fill the
                                                    > technological gap between my Rhodes 73 stage (through a Roland GP-16)
                                                    > and a KORG M1. I was looking at getting some synth cards for the
                                                    > korg and figured that for about the same price I could get the real
                                                    thing.

                                                    > I have the pile of parts for both the Slayer and FM mods and will
                                                    > fortify with caffeine and start breathing my favorite fume (mmm flux).
                                                    >
                                                    > As well I picked up a surface mount 3v lithium battery holder for a no
                                                    > C-cell memory hold.
                                                    >
                                                    > Speaking of hold...is there some way to get the hold button to behave
                                                    > as a momentary switch instead of a latch? I'd gladly change the 'next
                                                    > program' pedal input for something even mildly resembling a sustain
                                                    pedal.

                                                    > Also, is there a tune pot on the board so that when the tune slider is
                                                    > centered i'm on 440? I think i have a bit of solid state drift.
                                                    >
                                                    > The only other thing I was thinking of doing is to swap the midi out
                                                    > connector for a 7-pin DIN and make a 90deg 7-pin >>to>> 2x 5-pin +
                                                    > 9vDC 40' cable (for power, and midi in/out in one cable), taped to a
                                                    > 2-channel mic line for L-R output in case i want to go all 'keytar'
                                                    > and get in the face of the lead guitar.
                                                    >

                                                    > P.S. Nice work olaf on the slayer diagram, who'da thought you could
                                                    > mix surrealism with schematics.
                                                    >

                                                    > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "korgpolyex800" <korgpolyex800@>
                                                    > wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Over the last six months or more, we've seen many new Poly 800 and EX
                                                    > > 800 enthusiasts join our group - to you all we say welcome.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > If you have a moment feel free to drop into the polls and add your
                                                    > > opinions to the various polls that are still open.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > And also feel free to let us know how you came to become a Poly fan
                                                    > > and what drives you to be still using one in the year 2007.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Thanks,
                                                    > >
                                                    > > The moderator - Mike.

                                                  • korgpolyex800
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jan 26, 2008
                                                      OK, here's what's been done this weekend.

                                                      i) Fixed the joystick code to use successive approximation. Runs with
                                                      eight times less CPU cycles than the original linear tracking code.
                                                      ii) Created a MIDI time code on/off global parameter. Allows you to
                                                      send start/stop and sequencer notes but without sending MIDI time code.
                                                      iii) made bend depth an extended parameter unique for each patch.
                                                      iv) finished sequencer local control on/off. Allows you to send
                                                      sequencer to another MIDI device while not playing locally.
                                                      v) fixed the Poly mode changes occurring when running the sequencer.

                                                      A great weekend and it's only Saturday.

                                                      Mike.