zeroscillator vs fm-800

  • Atom Smasher
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2006
      i just saw <http://www.cyndustries.com/modules_zero-osc.cfm> on AH...
      checked it out, scrolled down to the demos...

      except for the percussion and multi-tracked stuff, it sounds to me an
      awful lot like an fm-800... except that an fm-800 doesn't cost $1K!!

      the last sample (Stereo VZO) sounds like an fm-800 through a stereo phaser
      pedal. lemme check the math again...
      fm-800 + stereo phaser < $1K

      maybe an fm-800 ~can~ do some of those types of fm percussion... having an
      xd-5 means i don't think too much about it, and not having any time to
      play with my toys means i probably won't find out anytime soon.

      --
      ...atom

      ________________________
      http://atom.smasher.org/
      762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

      "Our freedoms are not under attack from the remnants
      of Saddam Hussein's Baathist party, they're under
      attack by the likes of John Ashcroft, they're trampled
      by Donald Rumsfeld, they're disdained by Dick Cheney
      and they're not even understood by George W. Bush."
      -- Lt Col Dr Robert Bowman, Head of DoD during
      the "Star Wars Defense" system and combat pilot
      who flew 101 missions in Vietnam
      July 2005
    • patrioticduo
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
        Hey Atom,

        I love your mod's but I can't stand your politics. LOL

        Anyway, I must admit the Zero Osc has capabilities that make it a very
        professional device. Quadratures and phase shift and multiple
        waveforms gives it a flexibility that is ably demonstrated by the
        sound demo. I love the sweeps.

        But I have to agree with you. Your mod is about the cheapest FM you
        can get without actually buying a product designed with FM in it.

        Now if I could just get back to the MKIII project, we might be able to
        apply separate EG's to your mod's.

        And, thinking about the TG's in the Poly. I think we could replace
        them completely with digital samples coming out of ROM's just like the
        DW 8000 etc. So we can stop worrying about the MSM5232 and just build
        our own. And I've tried and tried to get my hands on one hundred or so
        of the filter chips and have failed. So I am now considering designing
        a new filter board too.

        Just daydreaming again.

        M.

        --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Atom Smasher <atom@...> wrote:

        > i just saw <http://www.cyndustries.com/modules_zero-osc.cfm> on AH...
        > checked it out, scrolled down to the demos...
        >
        > except for the percussion and multi-tracked stuff, it sounds to me an
        > awful lot like an fm-800... except that an fm-800 doesn't cost $1K!!
        >
        > the last sample (Stereo VZO) sounds like an fm-800 through a stereo
        phaser
        > pedal. lemme check the math again...
        > fm-800 + stereo phaser < $1K
        >
        > maybe an fm-800 ~can~ do some of those types of fm percussion...
        having an
        > xd-5 means i don't think too much about it, and not having any time to
        > play with my toys means i probably won't find out anytime soon.
        >

        > --
        > ...atom
        >
        > ________________________
        > http://atom.smasher.org/
        > 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808
        >
        > "Our freedoms are not under attack from the remnants
        > of Saddam Hussein's Baathist party, they're under
        > attack by the likes of John Ashcroft, they're trampled
        > by Donald Rumsfeld, they're disdained by Dick Cheney
        > and they're not even understood by George W. Bush."
        > -- Lt Col Dr Robert Bowman, Head of DoD during
        > the "Star Wars Defense" system and combat pilot
        > who flew 101 missions in Vietnam
        > July 2005

      • Tim Bieniosek
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
          Wavetable Poly-800?!?!?

          Poly-WAVE?

          On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, patrioticduo wrote:

          > Hey Atom,
          >
          > I love your mod's but I can't stand your politics. LOL
          >
          > Anyway, I must admit the Zero Osc has capabilities that make it a very
          > professional device. Quadratures and phase shift and multiple
          > waveforms gives it a flexibility that is ably demonstrated by the
          > sound demo. I love the sweeps.
          >
          > But I have to agree with you. Your mod is about the cheapest FM you
          > can get without actually buying a product designed with FM in it.
          >
          > Now if I could just get back to the MKIII project, we might be able to
          > apply separate EG's to your mod's.
          >
          > And, thinking about the TG's in the Poly. I think we could replace
          > them completely with digital samples coming out of ROM's just like the
          > DW 8000 etc. So we can stop worrying about the MSM5232 and just build
          > our own. And I've tried and tried to get my hands on one hundred or so
          > of the filter chips and have failed. So I am now considering designing
          > a new filter board too.
          >
          > Just daydreaming again.
          >
          > M.
          >

          > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, Atom Smasher <atom@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > i just saw <http://www.cyndustries.com/modules_zero-osc.cfm> on AH...
          > > checked it out, scrolled down to the demos...
          > >
          > > except for the percussion and multi-tracked stuff, it sounds to me an
          > > awful lot like an fm-800... except that an fm-800 doesn't cost $1K!!
          > >
          > > the last sample (Stereo VZO) sounds like an fm-800 through a stereo
          > phaser
          > > pedal. lemme check the math again...
          > > fm-800 + stereo phaser < $1K
          > >
          > > maybe an fm-800 ~can~ do some of those types of fm percussion...
          > having an
          > > xd-5 means i don't think too much about it, and not having any time to
          > > play with my toys means i probably won't find out anytime soon.
          > >

          > > --
          > > ...atom
          > >
          > > ________________________
          > > http://atom.smasher.org/
          > > 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808
          > >
          > > "Our freedoms are not under attack from the remnants
          > > of Saddam Hussein's Baathist party, they're under
          > > attack by the likes of John Ashcroft, they're trampled
          > > by Donald Rumsfeld, they're disdained by Dick Cheney
          > > and they're not even understood by George W. Bush."
          > > -- Lt Col Dr Robert Bowman, Head of DoD during
          > > the "Star Wars Defense" system and combat pilot
          > > who flew 101 missions in Vietnam
          > > July 2005
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Atom Smasher
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
            On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, patrioticduo wrote:

            > But I have to agree with you. Your mod is about the cheapest FM you can
            > get without actually buying a product designed with FM in it.
            =================

            it's probably possible to find a DX-100 (or a TX-7, yech!!) for less than
            a stock poly/ex-800... but you just can't get anything close to the
            knob-tweaking analog mayhem that you'd get with the FM-800 and moog slayer
            mods.

            i'm a big fan of the FS1R (arguably the best FM synth ever in mass
            production), but if not for the mods to my EX-800, i wouldn't have an
            EX-800. what it's good at (and good for), it's better at (and better for)
            than the FS1R.

            > Now if I could just get back to the MKIII project, we might be able to
            > apply separate EG's to your mod's.
            ==================

            or, to minimize the amount of hardware modification, you could emulate the
            FM-800 and moog slayer mods in software ;)

            > And, thinking about the TG's in the Poly. I think we could replace them
            > completely with digital samples coming out of ROM's just like the DW
            > 8000 etc. So we can stop worrying about the MSM5232 and just build our
            > own. And I've tried and tried to get my hands on one hundred or so of
            > the filter chips and have failed. So I am now considering designing a
            > new filter board too.
            =====================

            at some point, you'll just have to design, build and distribute your own
            synth.

            --
            ...atom

            ________________________
            http://atom.smasher.org/
            762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

            "We will, in fact, be greeted as liberators."
            -- Dick Cheney, 16 March 2003
          • russ
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2006
              actually I got my dx27s (s is for STEREO) for a lot less than my poly 800. But just in case anybody thinks the 800 is hard to program patches on, try ANY of yamahas dx series, patch programming HELL!
              About the poly800MKIII if I had my druthers I'd lke a better midi implementation that doesnt broadcast CC messages when nothing is going on. I record fairly simple lines into SONAR and then double them by using the same midi but a different patch. I end up having to filter out ALL CC messages because its always broadcasting that its a 0 for BC and PB. The problem is that I sometimes wouldnt mind using the CC stuff! Speaking of, it would be nice if we could use CC for some more of its parameters.

              PS atom I LIKE your little political sigs. is that a shell script that rotates them or do you just manually change it?

            • korgpolyex800
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 9, 2006
                Atom,

                There's no way that your mod's could be simulated in software when the
                processor is an 80C85 running at 2Mhz. It is kept quite busy handling
                everything it already does in the Poly.

                But there are really good low cost digital potentiometer chips out
                there and I intend to put a whole bunch of them onto the new circuit
                board. Each time we add a new mod, we populate one more chip onto the
                board. Patch a few wires from the pot into the guts of the Poly main
                board and we're done.

                What I like about your FM mod is that it makes what is a classical
                analog synth into a FM/analog hybrid that is digitally controlled.

                I can't wait to apply an EG and MG to your FM mod.

                Bye for now.

                Mike.