Re: Parameter wheel

  • Philip Linde
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hello!
      Maybe you guys know anyone who can make anything out of this
      information: http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_ckt10_3.htm. I
      wouldn't know, but it kind of looks like what I expected the solution
      to be.

      Sentences like this: "The output terminal becomes the condition
      whether or not which connects with the common terminal or whether or
      not it is not." prevented me from reading it through carefully, though :-)

      --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "guillaume richard"
      <kaneelisdead@h...> wrote:
      > Just do so, when i'll get more times i'll ask to a pal of mine that can
      > create his own midi boxes... he could easily find something for us i
      guess..
      > he also programs dsp and such you see!
      >
      > >From: "iheartvinyl@n..." <iheartvinyl@n...>
      > >To: korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [korgpolyex] RE: Parameter wheel
      > >Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:48:25 GMT
      > >

      > >that is a really awesome idea. i wish i had electronics knowledge
      to figure
      > >out how to use some kind of dial. the buttons can be replaced by
      another
      > >button easily, but finding a dial that would work must be tricky. i
      might
      > >try to ask some smart buddies if they would be able to do it.
    • guillaume richard
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2005
        will email my friend as soon as i get my computer back at home. Im pretty
        sure it will be easy for him to do it as he did hiw own digital guitars and
        tons of do it yourself midiboxes...

        >From: "Philip Linde" <philip.linde@...>
        >To: korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [korgpolyex] Re: Parameter wheel
        >Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:22:04 -0000
        >
        >Hello!
        >Maybe you guys know anyone who can make anything out of this
        >information: http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_ckt10_3.htm. I
        >wouldn't know, but it kind of looks like what I expected the solution
        >to be.
        >
        >Sentences like this: "The output terminal becomes the condition
        >whether or not which connects with the common terminal or whether or
        >not it is not." prevented me from reading it through carefully, though :-)
        >
        >--- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "guillaume richard"
        ><kaneelisdead@h...> wrote:
        > > Just do so, when i'll get more times i'll ask to a pal of mine that can
        > > create his own midi boxes... he could easily find something for us i
        >guess..
        > > he also programs dsp and such you see!
        > >
        > > >From: "iheartvinyl@n..." <iheartvinyl@n...>
        > > >To: korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com
        > > >Subject: [korgpolyex] RE: Parameter wheel
        > > >Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:48:25 GMT
        > > >

        > > >that is a really awesome idea. i wish i had electronics knowledge
        >to figure
        > > >out how to use some kind of dial. the buttons can be replaced by
        >another
        > > >button easily, but finding a dial that would work must be tricky. i
        >might
        > > >try to ask some smart buddies if they would be able to do it.

      • jusufzemplin
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2005
          I though about data-wheel, and I think it would work on similar
          principe,like control wheel on some monitors. I will try to find some
          details about it...

          <kaneelisdead@h...> wrote:
          > will email my friend as soon as i get my computer back at home. Im
          pretty
          > sure it will be easy for him to do it as he did hiw own digital
          guitars and
          > tons of do it yourself midiboxes...
          >
          > >From: "Philip Linde" <philip.linde@t...>
          > >To: korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [korgpolyex] Re: Parameter wheel
          > >Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:22:04 -0000
          > >
          > >Hello!
          > >Maybe you guys know anyone who can make anything out of this
          > >information: http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_ckt10_3.htm.
          > >wouldn't know, but it kind of looks like what I expected the
          solution
          > >to be.
          > >
          > >Sentences like this: "The output terminal becomes the condition
          > >whether or not which connects with the common terminal or whether
          or
          > >not it is not." prevented me from reading it through carefully,
          though :-)

          > >--- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "guillaume richard"
          > ><kaneelisdead@h...> wrote:
          > > > Just do so, when i'll get more times i'll ask to a pal of mine
          that can
          > > > create his own midi boxes... he could easily find something for
          us i
          > >guess..
          > > > he also programs dsp and such you see!

          > >to figure
          > >another
          > >might

        • russ
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2005
            honestly, the 800 only has a max adjustment range of 31 and alot of parameters are just 0-1-2 or similar. It seems like it would be a lot of trouble with little reward. I would rather see switches for discrete parameters, like high-mid-low for osc range. Or on off switches for the waveform shape at 16,8,4,2,1. After I finish rebuilding my Yamaha PM1000 I'll look at it. But I am an analog audio geek. I know very little about digital control.

            <kaneelisdead@h...> wrote:
            > will email my friend as soon as i get my computer back at home. Im
            pretty
            > sure it will be easy for him to do it as he did hiw own digital
            guitars and
            > tons of do it yourself midiboxes...
            >
            > >From: "Philip Linde" <philip.linde@t...>
            > >To: korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [korgpolyex] Re: Parameter wheel
            > >Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:22:04 -0000
            > >
            > >Hello!
            > >Maybe you guys know anyone who can make anything out of this
            > >information: http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_ckt10_3.htm.
            > >wouldn't know, but it kind of looks like what I expected the
            solution
            > >to be.
            > >
            > >Sentences like this: "The output terminal becomes the condition
            > >whether or not which connects with the common terminal or whether
            or
            > >not it is not." prevented me from reading it through carefully,
            though :-)

            > >--- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "guillaume richard"
            > ><kaneelisdead@h...> wrote:
            > > > Just do so, when i'll get more times i'll ask to a pal of mine
            that can
            > > > create his own midi boxes... he could easily find something for
            us i
            > >guess..
            > > > he also programs dsp and such you see!

            > >to figure
            > >another
            > >might

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • guillaume richard
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2005
              well, on yamaha dx7 you can change values with sliders and values differs...
              from 0 to 99 or from 0 to 32... no shit.. so it's possible.

            • Phoebe October
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2005
                --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Linde" <philip.linde@t...>
                wrote:
                > Hello!
                > Maybe you guys know anyone who can make anything out of this
                > information: http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_ckt10_3.htm. I
                > wouldn't know, but it kind of looks like what I expected the solution
                > to be.

                Aha...I was never exactly sure how a rotary encoder worked until now.
                Then again, I never really looked into it either. It seems to me that
                the rotary encoder + the up-down detection circuit would fit the bill.
                I may have to give it a try once I start working on modifying my poly800.

                Yes, I have some circuit knowledge (but not a ton)...I make and modify
                things.

                cya!
                phoebe aka october71
                www.soundclick.com/october71
              • russ
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Th DX7 is, of course, a digital synth, so  it is easier for them to implement in the design. The 800 is analog controlled by digital, and a strange 7bit? interface. It may be possible to implement a dial for parameter adjustment. It would have to be a rotary encoder, or an endless pot with an adc. But I think it would be more rewarding to have discrete switches for parameters. That way it would be more "performance oriented". Whereas with a single  knob for all the parameter adjustments you would be stuck in the same hell as the alpha Juno etc.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • guillaume richard
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2005
                    I would really kill mysezlf for having a knobfilled synth but i can also
                    imagine the number of holes to drill.....

                  • Philip Linde
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2005
                      I agree, but maybe we could keep the buttons somehow, so that we could
                      use those for the short-range values. Besides, I think we could find a
                      encoder with really low resolution so we wouldn't go from 0 to 99 just
                      by touching the knob.

                      About the switches, I don't know, but the idea of replacing the
                      buttons with a dial seems more plausible to me than changing
                      parameters with dedicated switches.

                      I'm glad people more handy than myself are interested, though!

                      Best regards,
                      Philip Linde

                      --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, russ <russdaren@y...> wrote:
                      > honestly, the 800 only has a max adjustment range of 31 and alot of
                      parameters are just 0-1-2 or similar. It seems like it would be a lot
                      of trouble with little reward. I would rather see switches for
                      discrete parameters, like high-mid-low for osc range. Or on off
                      switches for the waveform shape at 16,8,4,2,1. After I finish
                      rebuilding my Yamaha PM1000 I'll look at it. But I am an analog audio
                      geek. I know very little about digital control.

                      > jusufzemplin <jusuf@s...> wrote:I though about data-wheel, and I
                      think it would work on similar
                      > principe,like control wheel on some monitors. I will try to find some
                      > details about it...
                      >

                      > --- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "guillaume richard"
                      > <kaneelisdead@h...> wrote:
                      > > will email my friend as soon as i get my computer back at home. Im
                      > pretty
                      > > sure it will be easy for him to do it as he did hiw own digital
                      > guitars and
                      > > tons of do it yourself midiboxes...
                      > >
                      > > >From: "Philip Linde" <philip.linde@t...>
                      > > >To: korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com
                      > > >Subject: [korgpolyex] Re: Parameter wheel
                      > > >Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:22:04 -0000
                      > > >
                      > > >Hello!
                      > > >Maybe you guys know anyone who can make anything out of this
                      > > >information: http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_ckt10_3.htm.
                      > > >wouldn't know, but it kind of looks like what I expected the
                      > solution
                      > > >to be.
                      > > >
                      > > >Sentences like this: "The output terminal becomes the condition
                      > > >whether or not which connects with the common terminal or whether
                      > or
                      > > >not it is not." prevented me from reading it through carefully,
                      > though :-)
                      > > >
                      > > >--- In korgpolyex@yahoogroups.com, "guillaume richard"
                      > that can
                      > us i
                      > > >guess..

                      > knowledge
                      > > >to figure
                      > by
                      > > >another
                      > tricky. i
                      > > >might

                      > Music sampler Synthesizer music Synthesizer Sampler

                      Service.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 3, 2005
                        here is an answer i got:

                        "hmmm.. replacing digital buttons with knobs MIGHT be possible to do with
                        rotary encoder knobs...
                        but it wont give you smooth analog operating ranges or anything.."

                        The last sentence is chinese to me tho :D

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 3, 2005
                          For example, there will still only be 16 steps for the resonance
                          parameter, so there will be audible "steps" even though you are
                          controlling it with a knob, contrary to an analogue synth knob which
                          is mostly a real potentiometer.

                          An analogue knob will have an infinite number of steps while the
                          digital ones are limited to the "resolution" of the chips.

                          This isn't really a problem for me, as I was mostly thinking about
                          using the knob to make new patches fast with immediate results, while
                          most of you seem interested in using it "live".

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 4, 2005
                            I found some schematics for building mentioned "rotary encoder" (http:
                            //users.tkk.fi/~jwagner/electr/rotary-enc/), but I dont know , how
                            exactly connect it to Poly800...(

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 16, 2005
                              I found site about self-building synths http://www.ucapps.de/index.
                              html?page=midibox_fm.html , and they use "rotary encoder", wich can
                              discharge function of 2 switches (up/down on poly800). Schematics
                              (http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_fm/mbfm_din_default.pdf) mentions type
                              STEC16B . here is some informations http://www.marelcom.ch/htm/
                              e_encoder2.htm .
                              Hope ,its good streak, and I will find it in our shops...