Re: Ms 2000 mellotron sounds

  • Darren B
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
      > > Your best bet is to get hold of GMedia's M-Tron. It's a faithfull
      > > replication that samples original tape banks from the Mellotron.
      > >
      > > http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/m-tron/
      > > http://www.gmediamusic.com/index.html
      >
      > Thank for the info. I will look into that sample disk and let you
      > know what I think.

      The M-tron is actually a VST plug-in rather than just a set of
      samples (Sorry, I didn't make that clear). Since the original
      Mellotron used strips of tape with samples recorded onto them (1 for
      each note on the keyboard) the M-Tron uses samples taken from the
      actual tape strips (Tape banks). These samples are made into a
      special format which can only be used by the M-Tron VST plug-in.
    • Admin
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
        Now that Sonar has the VST adapter, this makes a lot more sense than actually trying to make the MS2000 into something close to the Mellotron.

        dale

        Dale Kay
        Administrator Kay-Net.com
        Bus 661.723.0266
        admin@...
        > > Your best bet is to get hold of GMedia's M-Tron. It's a faithfull
        > > replication that samples original tape banks from the Mellotron.
        > >
        > > http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/m-tron/
        > > http://www.gmediamusic.com/index.html
        >
        > Thank for the info. I will look into that sample disk and let you
        > know what I think.

        The M-tron is actually a VST plug-in rather than just a set of
        samples (Sorry, I didn't make that clear). Since the original
        Mellotron used strips of tape with samples recorded onto them (1 for
        each note on the keyboard) the M-Tron uses samples taken from the
        actual tape strips (Tape banks). These samples are made into a
        special format which can only be used by the M-Tron VST plug-in.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Damian Stewart
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
          I'm trying to get my ms2k to act like a remote control surface for Cubase SX
          (so that, for example, I can use the EG1 A/D/S/R knobs to control the
          high/high mid/low mid/low eq knobs inside Cubase).

          The only problem is, for anything other than the main volume of the track
          (->amp level on the ms2k) I can't seem to get it to go. I'm trying to use
          the Generic Remote device to do it. If I try and use the 'learn' function
          nothing happens. If I assign cc#23 (the EG1 Attack knob) to something,
          again, nothing happens. (I'm seeing the little midi vu meter thing bounce
          around when I twist the knob so the signals are getting in.)

          Recording some knob twistings and then looking at the project browser
          interestingly doesn't show anything being transmitted by cc#23: rather, I
          get 'NRPN MSB 4' followed by 'NRPN LSB 32', then 'Data MSB <position of
          knob>'. I tried using 'Ctrl-NRPN' rather than 'Controller' as the detection
          method in the Generic Remote device, and setting the address to 1056 (4*256
          + 32), and it still doesn't work.

          Has anyone had any luck with this sort of thing?
        • Chris