Newbie Vocoder Question

  • zathrus069
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      Hi folks!

      As a recent MS2K purchaser I've fallen in love with this box 'o'
      tricks and it has replaced UT2003, my PS2 and my wife as "the thing
      I like to spend most of my time with", which I'm sure requires me to
      get some therapy (well, my wife thinks so anyway!). Anyway, I have
      a (probably dumb) question about the Vocoder...

      John's Theory of Vocoding: To avoid sounding like "Funky Town" from
      Lips Inc the carrier should have a wide frequency range.

      Soooo, what I'd like to do is hear the carrier while I fiddle around
      getting the right depth and spread to the sound. However, there
      doesn't seem to be a way to do this. You have to modulate it to
      hear anything, which means I have to stand there saying "testing,
      testing" (or sing - which, trust me, is not a good idea!) with the
      volume up load enough that it drowns out the sound in my own head.
      This is not winning me any friends and I'm expecting the Police (or
      the Men in White Coats) round pretty soon.

      How do you folks try out new Vocoder patches? Is there a "trick" to
      being able to hear the carrier without the modulator or do I just
      need to find a better modulator than me?

      Strange question I know but it's bothering me. With outboard
      Vocoders you can create the patch you like then play it through the
      box when you're ready. With the MS2K there doesn't seem to be a way
      to do this....or am I missing something?

      Many thanks,

      John