RE: OT: Compression

  • Greg Spicer
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
      Yeah i too would be interested- ditto with dorothee by (d), nice tight overall levels,

      ive just picked up a dbx 2660xl for £60 which i strap over my main mix, nice transparant compression, with higher settings you can get nice suck and pull- daft punk stylee... i would like a multiband compressor but use the waves at the mo cos im still getting my head round it...

      one tip i got from a tech-house mailing list- which was originally from Brian Transau- was to increase the overal mix level by applying a -12db shelf at around 150hz-

      what i used to do when recording a tune was- cut everything below 30hz straight out- don't need it- the wave stays the same shape just gets slightly larger, then i would apply a shelf at 70hz -80hz- not as steep but again just to increase the overall level of the mix, has workd pretty well up until now,

      so recently i tried this 150hz shelving technique- i must say with some tweaking you can get a much more 'reliable' mix- reliable in that it sound similar on a ghetto blaster to that on a car stereo- once you get your head round the lack of boom you start paying attention to what going on in the low mids, so the bassline could be cut at around 200hz to reduce boom and boosted at around 400hz to increase the overall presence- if you get the balance right you may not even have to adjust the overall bassline volume, ditto bass drums.....i wouldn't try with such a steep shelf straight away, i think the original article was in SOS....interview with BT...

      i used to have very bass heavy mixes due to the fact that my monitoring system is shite and i would always push the bass up to hear it- looking at the spec analyser in SF i had the same 'sonic herding of the low end' now that i dont worry too much about the low bass end i spend more time getting the mids right- once you have the mids balanced you can go back to the bass and tweak as needed, this bass technique has helped my overall mix compression as well- although i would love a multiband just so i could isolate that low frequncy and compress it to diamond!!

      Ms2k!

      greg

      Message: 22
      Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:50:24 -0000
      From: "Hot-Snail" <Darawork@...>
      Subject: OT: Compression

      This is for anyone who has downloaded Stefano Fiorio's tune 'Santana' from the last competition,
      have you noticed the excellent compression used on it. Check it out in winamp or any program
      with a graphic equaliser. Those levels just stay suspended. Same story with any Daft punk tune.

      Stefano, if you're reading this, what sort of gear was used to compress it so nicely?
      Some nice multi band hardware or something? Don't tell me 'It was like that when I recorded it'

      Mine tunes are all herded up one end of the spectrum like sonic sheep...?

      ,,
      /\O/\......-------> Darachnid.

      Main Switchboard 01329 223242
      Advice line 08454 58 85 58
      Events hotline 08454 58 85 57

      www.businesslinkwessex.co.uk
      mailto:info@...

      To hear first about business opportunities and
      events, join our e-mail list at www.wessexbiz.com

      This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged
      information. In case of transmission error,
      unauthorised recipients are asked to contact
      us immediately and not to disclose or make use of
      this information.
    • Stefano Fiorio
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
        Dar,

        thank you for your appreciation of my little work.

        Actually, I usually try to eq instruments so each stays in its own eq range.
        This to avoid mudding the sound. As for compression in this project it was
        all software (Logic Audio). The guitars sounds went through the MS2000 audio
        in and filters. That's all.

        Duft Punk produced their sound using a maximizer. Have you ever seen a Daft
        Punk track's graphic display? It is 0db all the way! And the sound is
        smashing.

        I love compressors but I find it hard to use them wisely. Overdo it and you
        get a lifeless or pumping, noisy useless track...

        Stefano
      • endlessnessisticman
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
          Agreed eqing is key. You won't need compression with proper eqing.
          It's needed for companies to sell new products and producers to keep
          the artists in the studios. It's also good for all the buzz words you
          all use in itallics. Makes for easy ads too. It's in your head...
          But you can push some sounds around with it I guess. Let's bounce it
          around mavens.