Re: Patch Dumps on Mac

  • darrenrichardsuk
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      --- In korgms2000@y..., "riffkat" <alewine@n...> wrote:
      > Greetings:
      >
      > I have a G4, MS2090R, and a MOTU microExpress. I can send
      > and receive sysEx data dumps between the computer and the
      > MS2XR. However, when sending a patch dump TO the MS2XR,
      > all seems to go well, the display reads '"receiving" but never
      > "writing." The patch dumps go, but never "write" to the Korg.
      > That final step just seems to skip. I can send sysEx data to
      > Digital Performer, and I can see it, but sending it back has no
      > effect, even though the Korg says "receiving."
      >
      > However, all the user patch list dumps availble for download on
      > the korgms2000 usergroup site work just fine. I can send them
      > from the computer, using SysEX, and then the Korg actually
      > "writes" them to internal memory. I can play those patches. So,
      > it can be done, even on a Mac.
      >
      > Anybody else have this problem. Things should work, seem to
      > be, but then they aren't. Any suggestions would be greatly
      > appreciated.

      Hi Ken,

      Plenty of others are having the same problem, including PC users
      too. The deal is that when you send a single patch that you have
      downloaded from here it works because it is a tiny lump of sysex
      being sent out the MIDI port to your MS2K. Its only about 300 bytes.

      However when you send a full dump of 128 patches the MIDI interface
      is getting overwhelmed by the speed at which you're asking it to
      send this 30,000 byte monster sysex message. You get zero feedback
      from the MIDI drivers but what has happenned is that the MIDI
      interface has just thrown away a bit of it rather than sending it,
      and the MS2000 just sits there wondering what hell is going on ;-)

      So the solution most software takes is to send the data in small
      chunks with a nice big pause between each chunk to slow things down
      to a speed your MIDI interface can cope with. Look at the
      preferences dialog for SysEx, Steve Grace has provided some
      excellent options for slowing down how quickly sysex data is sent,
      and for setting pauses between messages etc. Experiment with
      different settings, and please tell us what worked for you; I'd be
      interested to know.

      Ta,

      Daz.
    • Jeff