Re: [korgms2000] Re: MS2000B 3.3V Regulator Repair.

  • Dale
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 7, 2013
      Thanks thats the info I was looking for, I will remove both 3.3v parts clean up the area and try again. I did notice that when I had fitted the 6 legged part the writing was in the opposite direction to the original part can you fit these the wrong way at all or is orientation not important?

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 8, 2013
        Yes, it is possible to put the regulator in backwards.

        Input is pin 1; output is pin 3; ground is pin 2.

        Don't have the circuit board layout, just the schematic, but 3.3v regulator should go with pin 1 at the side where C51 comes into the circuit and pin 3 where C61 comes in.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 8, 2013
          Hi David

          Do you think that fitting the regulator the wrong way would cause the symptoms that I have got when I plug power into the MS2000? I have put a link to my flickr photo stream below could you please have a look and confirm if I have orientated the chip incorrectly? you can see photos the old burned out chips and the new ones.

          Thanks Dale

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/22648603@N03/

          Yes, it is possible to put the regulator in backwards.

          Input is pin 1; output is pin 3; ground is pin 2.

          Don't have the circuit board layout, just the schematic, but 3.3v regulator should go with pin 1 at the side where C51 comes into the circuit and pin 3 where C61 comes in.

          --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, Dale <daleryan@...> wrote:

          > Thanks thats the info I was looking for, I will remove both 3.3v parts clean up the area and try again. I did notice that when I had fitted the 6 legged part the writing was in the opposite direction to the original part can you fit these the wrong way at all or is orientation not important?

        • DALE RYAN
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 8, 2013
            Hi David

            I reversed the regulator and re-soldered it in place, the machine turns on properly now but no sound? I noticed also when changing patches there seems to be a delay for it to actually change, when I tried a factory reset it came back with mpu to dsp check error, I am wondering if this DSP chip is blown as well? could reversing the regulator blow the DSP or could this have blown when the original regulator blew? looks like I may be putting my hot air gun to use quite soon?

            --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "David Jacklin" <djacklin@...> wrote:

            > Yes, it is possible to put the regulator in backwards.
            >
            > Input is pin 1; output is pin 3; ground is pin 2.
            >
            > Don't have the circuit board layout, just the schematic, but 3.3v regulator should go with pin 1 at the side where C51 comes into the circuit and pin 3 where C61 comes in.
            >
            > --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, Dale <daleryan@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks thats the info I was looking for, I will remove both 3.3v parts clean up the area and try again. I did notice that when I had fitted the 6 legged part the writing was in the opposite direction to the original part can you fit these the wrong way at all or is orientation not important?

          • Hamblin, Scott
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 8, 2013
              Most likely you got a dead DSP chip there Dale. Running the diagnostics will probably confirm it as the infamous DSP to CPU error. Symptom is slow changing patches, normal appearance but no sound.

              Reversing the regulator certainly would not have helped, but it may have been part of the original fault too.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 9, 2013
                --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "Hamblin, Scott" <scott.hamblin@...> wrote:

                > Most likely you got a dead DSP chip there Dale. Running the diagnostics will probably confirm it as the infamous DSP to CPU error. Symptom is slow changing patches, normal appearance but no sound.
                >
                > Reversing the regulator certainly would not have helped, but it may have been part of the original fault too.

                What Scott said.

                If you didn't have the slow change/no sound problem before putting the regulator in reversed, then the DSP chip may be have been fried by incorrect voltage.

                As it's powering on, now, at least you've got the regulator in the right way around.

                Sorry.

                David
              • Dale
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 9, 2013
                  Hi David

                  Thanks for the confirmation that the DSP Chip has blown, just had a look at the markings on the chip it says

                  DSPB56362PV100
                  1J21D
                  QUAN0319

                  Is hot air the best method for removal and fitting of this chip any tips would be appreciated.

                  Also concerning the regulator part how heat sensitive are they? I have had the soldering tip on it 3 times now would changing the regulator again be a good idea or does the fact the MS2000B turns on properly now suggest that the 3.3v parts are ok? just need to be sure before I do the DSP install?

                  Regards Dale

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 10, 2013
                    Your voltage regulator is fine, leave it alone.

                    Removing and replacing the DSP chip is beyond my skills. I can just about solder a capacitor into place, but modern microprocessors are a whole other thing.

                    --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, Dale <daleryan@...> wrote:

                    > Hi David
                    >
                    > Thanks for the confirmation that the DSP Chip has blown, just had a look at the markings on the chip it says
                    >

                    > DSPB56362PV100
                    > 1J21D
                    > QUAN0319
                    >
                    > Is hot air the best method for removal and fitting of this chip any tips would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Also concerning the regulator part how heat sensitive are they? I have had the soldering tip on it 3 times now would changing the regulator again be a good idea or does the fact the MS2000B turns on properly now suggest that the 3.3v parts are ok? just need to be sure before I do the DSP install?
                    >
                    > Regards Dale

                  • Dale
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 10, 2013
                      Hi Dave

                      I will leave the regulator alone now it seems to be working properly lol, as for the 144 pin DSP chip I may as well give that a go as well the board is going nowhere like it is.

                      Regards Dale