Re: A cost effective fix for the MS2000 - MPU to DSP error : Success # 2!

  • devilpedals
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
      Hi, first post on the group, I burned out the chip on my ms2000. I used a different power supply one day, it couldn't supply proper voltage so just burned out and sent over 9v into the circuit. I had a guy try to fix it here in Dublin, Ireland but he said the chip is gone. I was wondering if I could post the board to you to have a look at. If its beyond repair then just bin it.

      I can pay you by PayPal if that's cool with you.

      Thanks in advance
      Andrew

      --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "remodulator" wrote:

      > Yes, I ordered the replacement chip from the Australian Korg parts distributor in Melbourne (Australia) and with sales tax and shipping the parts cost was a little over $100.00
      >
      > I suppose a few hundred dollars is still a significant sum but but it's nothing like the crazy prices others have been quoted for a replacement circuit board - Korg quoted me $900!
      >
      > If it's of amy interest another forum member contacted me after his MS2000R died a few weeks ago with the same fault. He needed the sounds for a track he'd half finished and requested I attempt a DSP replacement for him. I'm happy to say I could return his instrument tonight with a new DSP chip installed, resoldered power jack, fully tested and sounding awesome.
      >
      > Total cost was $200 which we both thought was reasonable given the time taken and fiddly nature of the work.
      >

      > --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, db wrote:
      > >

      > > So you ordered a XCB56362PV100 from Korg to fix this?
      > >
      > > 90+ labor seems a bit of a pricey repair.
      > >
      > > At 6/29/2011 10:30 PM, remodulator wrote:
      > > >A quick note to say that I have successfully repaired my MS2000 KLM-2167
      > > >board by replacing the DSP chip. After repairing the board, and then
      > > >reseting the unit to factory settings it is working 100%..!
      > > >
      > > >I'd heard that the root cause was the DSP chip overheating, and suggested
      > > >a heatsink be applied as a preventative measure. Now I'm not so sure as my
      > > >new chip seems to run cool enough. My unit did however have some damaged
      > > >solder joints where the +9V power jack attached to the board. Electrically
      > > >this could have easily caused electrical spikes in the +9V supply, and
      > > >it's possible that the spikes kill the DSP chip.
      > > >
      > > >Either way, I can confirm that repairing the KLM-2167 board is achievable
      > > >with the right tools and skill. As other members have found, replacement
      > > >KLM-2167 boards from Korg are either impossible to obtain or ridiculously
      > > >expensive ($900+) while the XCB56362PV100 chips can be purchased for about
      > > >$90 from Korg.
      > > >
      > > >As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm willing to try and help other
      > > >members with this fault by repairing boards for them. I would also like to
      > > >obtain some defective KLM 2167 boards to repair, and then offer the
      > > >refurbished boards to others on a fee for exchange basis.
      > > >
      > > >So please contact me vai this forum if you would like some help, or have a
      > > >defective board I can use.
      > > >
      > > >Thanks..!

      > > Dennis [Los Angeles]

    • Hamblin, Scott
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
        Sorry to hear about your problem but I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.

        My first thoughts are that it might just be the power supply filter & regulator components, and (hopefully) not the DSP chip.

        Did your contact in Dublin give you any more technical background on what might be damaged...?

        Can you describe the symptoms? Is there any sign of life?

        Assuming you want to proceed, do you need it done in a hurry? Shipping, parts and troubleshooting take some time and I wouldn't want to let you down if you need it done ASAP. I'm a hobbyist, with some experience in these things and need to schedule repairs around my work and family responsibilities.

        That said, if you want to go ahead, then let's swap details and arrange a quote. Paypal works fine.

> [...]

        > > >solder joints where the +9V power jack attached to the board. Electrically
        > > >this could have easily caused electrical spikes in the +9V supply, and
        > > >it's possible that the spikes kill the DSP chip.
        > > >
        > > >Either way, I can confirm that repairing the KLM-2167 board is achievable
        > > >with the right tools and skill. As other members have found, replacement
        > > >KLM-2167 boards from Korg are either impossible to obtain or ridiculously
        > > >expensive ($900+) while the XCB56362PV100 chips can be purchased for about
        > > >$90 from Korg.
        > > >
        > > >As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm willing to try and help other
        > > >members with this fault by repairing boards for them. I would also like to
        > > >obtain some defective KLM 2167 boards to repair, and then offer the
        > > >refurbished boards to others on a fee for exchange basis.
        > > >
        > > >So please contact me vai this forum if you would like some help, or have a

        The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be subject to legal privileges, may constitute inside information, and is intended only for the use of the addressee. It is the property of Abbott Laboratories or its relevant affiliate. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Abbott Laboratories immediately by return e-mail and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.
      • ozonesite
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
          Hi all,

          Just some thoughts about faulty MS2000 and MicroKorg:

          i) I fixed a MS2000 ("mpu to dsp error") just by replacing the DSP (cost is about $20usd). Luckly, Korg didnt put any code inside this chip. So a simple desolder/solder operation is the only thing needed; not even reload the firmware!

          ii) Also fixed a Microkorg with a burned CPU and 3.3V regulation circuitry. Desoldering and soldering a new cpu solved the problem (CPU cost: $20). The power supply I used a small PCB from ebay to convert 9V => 3.3V)

          iii) About the power supplies of both units:
          They are very similar and usually if something happens to the 3.3V switching regulation (2 parts: IC and a FET) it will burn a CPU or DSP chip. The input filtering capacitors are 16V, so if you use a AC adapter with higher voltage, it will cause some damage to these parts and possibly the switching regulator discuted above. Beware.
          Ah! there is a small fuse of 2.0A in the 3.3V line, but as always it was blown and didnt do the job of protecting the synth :(

          Good repairs. Cheers,
          ric

          --------
          --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "devilpedals" wrote:

          > Hi, first post on the group, I burned out the chip on my ms2000. I used a different power supply one day, it couldn't supply proper voltage so just burned out and sent over 9v into the circuit. I had a guy try to fix it here in Dublin, Ireland but he said the chip is gone. I was wondering if I could post the board to you to have a look at. If its beyond repair then just bin it.
          >
          > I can pay you by PayPal if that's cool with you.
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          > Andrew
          >

          > --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "remodulator" wrote:
          > >
          > > Yes, I ordered the replacement chip from the Australian Korg parts distributor in Melbourne (Australia) and with sales tax and shipping the parts cost was a little over $100.00
          > >
          > > I suppose a few hundred dollars is still a significant sum but but it's nothing like the crazy prices others have been quoted for a replacement circuit board - Korg quoted me $900!
          > >
          > > If it's of amy interest another forum member contacted me after his MS2000R died a few weeks ago with the same fault. He needed the sounds for a track he'd half finished and requested I attempt a DSP replacement for him. I'm happy to say I could return his instrument tonight with a new DSP chip installed, resoldered power jack, fully tested and sounding awesome.
          > >
          > > Total cost was $200 which we both thought was reasonable given the time taken and fiddly nature of the work.
          > >

          > > --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, db wrote:
          > > >

          > > > So you ordered a XCB56362PV100 from Korg to fix this?
          > > >
          > > > 90+ labor seems a bit of a pricey repair.

          > > > Dennis [Los Angeles]

        • S
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
            Thats really good to know. I've two racks now and want to keep then running.

            --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "ozonesite" wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Just some thoughts about faulty MS2000 and MicroKorg:
            >
            > i) I fixed a MS2000 ("mpu to dsp error") just by replacing the DSP (cost is about $20usd). Luckly, Korg didnt put any code inside this chip. So a simple desolder/solder operation is the only thing needed; not even reload the firmware!
            >
            > ii) Also fixed a Microkorg with a burned CPU and 3.3V regulation circuitry. Desoldering and soldering a new cpu solved the problem (CPU cost: $20). The power supply I used a small PCB from ebay to convert 9V => 3.3V)
            >
            > iii) About the power supplies of both units:
            > They are very similar and usually if something happens to the 3.3V switching regulation (2 parts: IC and a FET) it will burn a CPU or DSP chip. The input filtering capacitors are 16V, so if you use a AC adapter with higher voltage, it will cause some damage to these parts and possibly the switching regulator discuted above. Beware.
            > Ah! there is a small fuse of 2.0A in the 3.3V line, but as always it was blown and didnt do the job of protecting the synth :(
            >
            > Good repairs. Cheers,
            > ric
            >
            > --------
            > --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "devilpedals" wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, first post on the group, I burned out the chip on my ms2000. I used a different power supply one day, it couldn't supply proper voltage so just burned out and sent over 9v into the circuit. I had a guy try to fix it here in Dublin, Ireland but he said the chip is gone. I was wondering if I could post the board to you to have a look at. If its beyond repair then just bin it.
            > >
            > > I can pay you by PayPal if that's cool with you.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance
            > > Andrew
            > >

            > > --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "remodulator" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Yes, I ordered the replacement chip from the Australian Korg parts distributor in Melbourne (Australia) and with sales tax and shipping the parts cost was a little over $100.00
            > > >
            > > > I suppose a few hundred dollars is still a significant sum but but it's nothing like the crazy prices others have been quoted for a replacement circuit board - Korg quoted me $900!
            > > >
            > > > If it's of amy interest another forum member contacted me after his MS2000R died a few weeks ago with the same fault. He needed the sounds for a track he'd half finished and requested I attempt a DSP replacement for him. I'm happy to say I could return his instrument tonight with a new DSP chip installed, resoldered power jack, fully tested and sounding awesome.
            > > >
            > > > Total cost was $200 which we both thought was reasonable given the time taken and fiddly nature of the work.

          • devilpedals
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
              That sounds great, I will contact the guy that was fixing it and ask him for all the tech details, and then I will get back to you. I am in no hurry as I got a cheap ms2000 as a replacement. I will get back to you before the end of the week.

              Thanks again for helping out.
              Andrew