Re: MS2000 classic dsp problem..

  • howard tate
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2012
      I'm thinking a broken circuit board trace or a bad solder point.
      When you worked on the board you moved things and could have temporarily closed a small gap. Those can be very hard to find.

      I'd examine the board closely with a magnifying glass and re-melt any solder points that look suspicious. And I'd look very carefully for cracked traces. Those are easily bridged by scratching off any coating and soldering across the crack.

      A couple of times I couldn't see where the break was so I exposed the board, powered it up, darkened the room and gently flexed the board here and there with a wooden brush handle. When I made the contact open and close I could see a spark.

      Keep a flashlight at hand so that you can quickly shine it where you saw the spark.

    • musiccankillgr
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
        Hello!!!
        I checked again the synth today..!
        I turned it on cold just to be sure that it doesn't work and then heated the mobo with a hair dryer and bingo!! it works now!!!Repeated the proccess again after it was 4 hours turned off and when cold it didn't worked and after heat it worked fine..!
        I can suspect a faulty joint that i couldn't see or a faulty electrolytic capacitor near the dsp..!
        Whats your opinion?!

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
          Hello!
          Thanks for the answer..!
          I think you have answered on my mail as well!!
          As i have written on my last response here, when the system is cool it wont work ,when i heat it a little and then power it up, it works without problems till i turn it off and it will cool down...
          I am just thinking..If it is a broken solder joint wouldnt it fail while playing and lock up as it goes down to room temperatures again after a short period of time?

          --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, howard tate <aejotz@...> wrote:

          > I'm thinking a broken circuit board trace or a bad solder point.
          > When you worked on the board you moved things and could have temporarily closed a small gap. Those can be very hard to find.
          >
          > I'd examine the board closely with a magnifying glass and re-melt any solder points that look suspicious. And I'd look very carefully for cracked traces. Those are easily bridged by scratching off any coating and soldering across the crack.
          >
          > A couple of times I couldn't see where the break was so I exposed the board, powered it up, darkened the room and gently flexed the board here and there with a wooden brush handle. When I made the contact open and close I could see a spark.
          >
          > Keep a flashlight at hand so that you can quickly shine it where you saw the spark.

        • Hamblin, Scott
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
            Nice work..!

            You could now isolate the exact component using a can of freeze spray with a fine nozzle. Heat the board with your hair dryer until it works and then while testing it, spray each component on the board. By working slowly and spraying one component at a time, you should find it.

            Might be a bad joint, could be a component problem too. Good luck!

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
              I will check later an electrolytic that i suspect from when i opened it up at first but never checked it (i am stupid i know :P) with a cap meter to see if its ok ...Its an 22uF smd cap

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2012
                Hello!
                I cant find the problem...
                Still plays well if i heat it up..
                It also plays when i power it up cold and heat the area near the dsp and the dsp for 20-30 secs and after that change a patch...
                The electrolytics seems good to measurement so it can't be that...
                I will try to find flux to resolder it with flux this time in case the problem is that, else i can only think of a faulty dsp not locking its clock when its cold...

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Another update on my issue...
                  After resoldering all points with solder on,going to the down side of the board and some small SMD caps and resistors ,now i cant get it to work even with heat...
                  I now suspect a broken trace connecting the upper layer with the lower..
                  Too difficult to find it though...

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 4, 2012
                    I think it's time for a new DSP chip!

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
                      Hello again!!
                      I have finally got the new dsp and managed to install it without a hot air station ,just with the soldering iron...
                      Now it boots up ok and plays sounds but i get distorted sound when i use fx...
                      I did the tests just to find out a DSP_DRAM error adress 400000 (or40000 i dont remember)..
                      I double checked all connections between the dsp and the ram and there is not even one broken...
                      Do i need a new ram chip too?
                      I can't find anywhere one...
                      MAybe you know of a place?
                      Also with the old dsp (when it played 1-2 times) the sound was perfect without problems in fx...
                      Maybe heat from the hot air station i used to desolder the dsp destroyed the ram chip?there close enough...

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
                        I think you should check the PCB area around the DSP chip as there are several tiny capacitors that can be easily dislodged in the desolder process. I did it twice! From memory it was C84, but I'm not sure. I posted some images on the forum gallery of the DSP chip, before removal and I'd carefully compare the photo with yours. See if anything is missing...!