Retuning MS2000B / Microtonal Scales

  • zeroblitzt
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2012
      Hey all,

      Does anyone know if the MS2000B can accept MIDI Sysex data so that it can be retuned? I want to mess around with microtunings.
    • Loscha
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2012
        It can accept alternate Temprements, yes.
        So that all your Cs are tuned to the same pitch, and all your A#s, too.

        If you want to put your keyboard into 1/4 tones or 36 tones per
        octave, you do that by routing a "virtual patch" KBD Track to Pitch
        and go nuts.
        This also has the functionality of allowing you to invert the
        keyboard, which is fun.

        /ErJ

        On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:20 AM, zeroblitzt <zeroblitzt@...> wrote:
        > Hey all,
        >
        > Does anyone know if the MS2000B can accept MIDI Sysex data so that it can be retuned? I want to mess around with microtunings.

      • Daniel Forró
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2012
          Exactly. You can retune each of twelve tones in the range of +/- 100
          Cent to create user tuned scales with 5 to 12 tone in octave , that's
          enough for all historic, many ethnic and some experimental
          temperaments. Some are in the memory as presets you can select.

          Tuning can be done through SysEx commands.

          Linear equal tunes with different number of tones in octave (or
          probably also in different interval, not only octave) is possible to
          get by changing range of KBD tracking to pitch.

          I did more microtonal works in last 30 years.

          Daniel Forro

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2012
            It won't do what, say, a Yamaha Tx802 will do, which allows you to
            tune each midi note to a different arbitrary pitch across the whole
            MIDI range, but, for an analog modelling synth, it's got more than
            enough.

            Some equipment with, say, top down dividers for example use slightly
            quirky tunings
            Casio keyboards are not evenly tempered, but they're good enough for
            rock and roll.