Polymoog Vox Humana on the MS2000

  • remodulator
    Message 1 of 15 , May 13, 2012
      Hello Dear Readers!

      I spent some time this weekend listening to my favourite old Gary Numan
      records and got inspired to program his signature Polymoog Vox Humana
      sound on my Korg MS2000. At first blush, it seemed impossible because
      the most common method of emulating it requires 3 LFOs. Our beloved
      MS2000 has only two LFOs so my first attempt was thin and pretty
      uninspiring. Several late nights later I almost fell off my chair when I
      struck upon an idea that added enough secret sauce to work around the 2
      LFO 'limitation.' I used the step sequencer as my third modulation
      source. I programmed a rough triangle wave sequence and used it to
      modulate the second VCO's pitch.

      Basic structure is VCO1 - PWM wave, with LFO1 modulates PWM control 1,
      LFO2 modulates VCO1 pitch, VCO2 - Saw wave, sequence modulates pitch.
      Other details to come.

      Tweaking it by ear, I struck on something so good, the sound of me
      playing it scared the kids..!

      Awesome.

      If anyone is interested I could post examples and details of the patch.
      I would dearly appreciate the feedback, and suggestions for improvement.
      A very useful article helped me and I'll include a link here.

      Steal that sound - Polymoog Vox Humana
      <http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/steal-this-sound-gary-numans-"ca\
      rs"/5578>

    • michael walker
      Message 2 of 15 , May 13, 2012
        Let's hear it!!
      • Terry
        Message 3 of 15 , May 13, 2012
          Yes, I'll second that. Let's hear it please.

          --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, michael walker <secondsonau@...> wrote:

          > Let's hear it!!

        • remodulator
          Message 4 of 15 , May 13, 2012
            Okey Dokey....I'll need a day to hook it up to my DAW and record a few licks!

            I've configured 3 versions of the patch,

            1. Vox Humana (no effects)
            2. VH with phaser.
            3. Split, with the phased version on the bass.

            I'll record all of them.

            If anyone can tell me the simplest way to upload the patch I'd be happy to save it. I'm sure it could be improved.

            Cheers...!
          • olivier jansen
            Message 5 of 15 , May 13, 2012
              The link to your article about the sound Vox human is dead i think.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , May 13, 2012
                The exact link is : http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/steal-this-sound-gary-numans-cars/5578

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , May 13, 2012
                  That's an interesting article. I've been looking for the "vox humana" sound for ages, I'm hoping your attempt will do it Justus. That "sound" is so iconic. Can you upload the file when it's ready please......

                  --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, olivier jansen <studioliv@...> wrote:

                  > The exact link is : http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/steal-this-sound-gary-numans-cars/5578
                  >

                  > ________________________________
                  > De : remodulator <scott.hamblin@...>
                  > À : korgms2000@yahoogroups.com
                  > Envoyé le : Dimanche 13 mai 2012 12h02
                  > Objet : [korgms2000] Re: Polymoog Vox Humana on the MS2000
                  >

                  > Okey Dokey....I'll need a day to hook it up to my DAW and record a few licks!
                  >
                  > I've configured 3 versions of the patch,
                  >
                  > 1. Vox Humana (no effects)
                  > 2. VH with phaser.
                  > 3. Split, with the phased version on the bass.
                  >
                  > I'll record all of them.
                  >
                  > If anyone can tell me the simplest way to upload the patch I'd be happy to save it. I'm sure it could be improved.
                  >
                  > Cheers...!

                • remodulator
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                    Hi Terry,

                    I've uploaded the SysEx and an MP3 of my patch. I don't have a lot of time to record tonight so I hope it gives you an idea. The SysEx file contains all 3 variations of my patch and I'm sure it will be more satisfying to play it yourself.

                    Hope my attempt sparks some interest. It could be improved I'm sure. I'm aware that the LFO frequencies don't match those recommended in the article I posted. I'm not experienced enough with the MS2000 to understand how to configure them exactly (eg. 3.54 Hz) without an oscilloscope and a case of beer. So I did it by ear...

                    Maybe somebody could advise me exactly how I could set the LFO frequencies using the menu settings. I'm assuming they would be driven by a master clock and the value 0...127 would relate to that?

                    Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy my MS2000 emulation of a
                    4 note Polyphonic Polymoog!
                  • nervejam
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                      Hi.
                      Can you PLEASE upload this in KorgEditor format (as in MicroKorgEditor)? I've been after VoxHumana on the micro for years!
                      Failing that, I'll try and load the sysex file onto one of my micros and create an editor file...
                      I already know a whole community that'll be interested in this one!!!
                      (for free, of course, and I have the means to distribute and publicise this..)

                      --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "remodulator" <scott.hamblin@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Terry,
                      >
                      > I've uploaded the SysEx and an MP3 of my patch. I don't have a lot of time to record tonight so I hope it gives you an idea. The SysEx file contains all 3 variations of my patch and I'm sure it will be more satisfying to play it yourself.
                      >
                      > Hope my attempt sparks some interest. It could be improved I'm sure. I'm aware that the LFO frequencies don't match those recommended in the article I posted. I'm not experienced enough with the MS2000 to understand how to configure them exactly (eg. 3.54 Hz) without an oscilloscope and a case of beer. So I did it by ear...
                      >
                      > Maybe somebody could advise me exactly how I could set the LFO frequencies using the menu settings. I'm assuming they would be driven by a master clock and the value 0...127 would relate to that?
                      >
                      > Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy my MS2000 emulation of a
                      > 4 note Polyphonic Polymoog!

                    • Terry
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                        I had a listen to the MP3 on my mobile, that sounds pretty dam close. Had a look for the sysex in the file section, couldn't find it. I must be going blind lol. Can you point of in the right direction

                        Terry
                        --- In korgms2000@..., "remodulator" <scott.hamblin@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Terry,
                        >
                        > I've uploaded the SysEx and an MP3 of my patch. I don't have a lot of time to record tonight so I hope it gives you an idea. The SysEx file contains all 3 variations of my patch and I'm sure it will be more satisfying to play it yourself.
                        >
                        > Hope my attempt sparks some interest. It could be improved I'm sure. I'm aware that the LFO frequencies don't match those recommended in the article I posted. I'm not experienced enough with the MS2000 to understand how to configure them exactly (eg. 3.54 Hz) without an oscilloscope and a case of beer. So I did it by ear...
                        >
                        > Maybe somebody could advise me exactly how I could set the LFO frequencies using the menu settings. I'm assuming they would be driven by a master clock and the value 0...127 would relate to that?
                        >
                        > Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy my MS2000 emulation of a
                        > 4 note Polyphonic Polymoog!

                      • nervejam
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                          It's in the same place as the mp3 file.
                          user_patches/individual/remodulator..

                          Does anyone know if I can use the syx file to load the sound on my micro?

                          --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <tkelling1961@...> wrote:

                          > I had a listen to the MP3 on my mobile, that sounds pretty dam close. Had a look for the sysex in the file section, couldn't find it. I must be going blind lol. Can you point of in the right direction
                          >

                          > Terry
                          > --- In korgms2000@..., "remodulator" <scott.hamblin@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Terry,
                          > >
                          > > I've uploaded the SysEx and an MP3 of my patch. I don't have a lot of time to record tonight so I hope it gives you an idea. The SysEx file contains all 3 variations of my patch and I'm sure it will be more satisfying to play it yourself.
                          > >
                          > > Hope my attempt sparks some interest. It could be improved I'm sure. I'm aware that the LFO frequencies don't match those recommended in the article I posted. I'm not experienced enough with the MS2000 to understand how to configure them exactly (eg. 3.54 Hz) without an oscilloscope and a case of beer. So I did it by ear...
                          > >
                          > > Maybe somebody could advise me exactly how I could set the LFO frequencies using the menu settings. I'm assuming they would be driven by a master clock and the value 0...127 would relate to that?
                          > >
                          > > Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy my MS2000 emulation of a
                          > > 4 note Polyphonic Polymoog!

                        • remodulator
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                            Wow...A Distribution and publicity deal for my first effort at patch programming! Very nice.

                            Can I ask which community would be so interested in it?

                            The Tubeway Army?

                            :)

                            Jokes aside...I'll be working on improving it so keep in touch and I hope your friends enjoy the patches.

                            Thanks for your support!
                          • Paul Rak
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                              Whoah! Hold yer horses!
                              The guys on Dubsounds (and in particular Matt) have been messing around
                              with VH for years.
                              (It's the home of the Polymoog owner's club).
                              They even had their own VST in development, but it got canned for some
                              reason. I've heard various emulations on there, so this would be right up
                              their street.

                              What I meant was that I'd rave on about it in the relevant places:
                              dubsounds.com, nervejam.com (old electromancers), etc.. that'd
                              automatically post it it to twitter, facebook, etc.. visibility!

                              --
                              There are only 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who know binary, and
                              those who don't.

                            • Terry
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                                Well, I loaded up the file but in doing so, I managed to erase ALL the sounds in ALL the banks. I ended up with only the polymoog VH sounds in the first three positions of bank A, all other banks said empty. I had to reload all the sounds back but I'm still trying to work out what I did wrong.?

                                --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, Paul Rak <paul.rak@...> wrote:

                                > Whoah! Hold yer horses!
                                > The guys on Dubsounds (and in particular Matt) have been messing around
                                > with VH for years.
                                > (It's the home of the Polymoog owner's club).
                                > They even had their own VST in development, but it got canned for some
                                > reason. I've heard various emulations on there, so this would be right up
                                > their street.
                                >
                                > What I meant was that I'd rave on about it in the relevant places:
                                > dubsounds.com, nervejam.com (old electromancers), etc.. that'd
                                > automatically post it it to twitter, facebook, etc.. visibility!
                                >
                                > --
                                > There are only 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who know binary, and
                                > those who don't.

                              • remodulator
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 14, 2012
                                  Hi again,

                                  This is the first time I've uploaded a patch, so I assumed the best way would be to post only the 3 Vox Humana Patches, so I copied them into an empty SysEx file using Patch Buddy. It's empty except for patches A01 - A03.

                                  I'm assuming you have a backup of your original patches?

                                  It's relatively simple to dump them to Patch Buddy and archive backup copies of everything. I recently reloaded all of the original MS2000 patches. I'm planning to remove the patches I don't like and replace them with some of the excellent user patches found in the forum.

                                  Once again, sorry for the confusion. I'm a relative newbie and did not think to warn anyone about the empty patches abouve A03.

                                  Will add a readme.txt to the upload folder.