How do I configure KORG with sequencer via MIDI/audio?

  • ianpwilliams
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2012
      Hi everyone, I just got a KORG MS2000, and I have a question.

      What is the best way to work with this, in terms of MIDI and audio connections, and when in conjunction with a MIDI sequencer? I normally work with software VSTi's and a MIDI slave keyboard, rather than hardware like this, so I'm not sure.

      From what I've read, it seems that I could connect the KORG to my sequencer (Reaper) via MIDI. But once I do, I dont know how will it all work. After all, the KORG is producing the sounds, not the computer soundcard, so that mean that I would be recording MIDI into the sequencer, that would then send that back out to the KORG to produce the sounds? And if that was the case, then how would I be recording the KORG? Would I have to then send the signal back to the sequencer via audio out, and record it to an audio track?

      Or am I better off just literally sending an audio out from the KORG directly to a Reaper audio track, and recording it? Although that would limit be options if I wanted to tweak certain settings.

      And with there being so many settings on the KORG, is there a way of storing them in the Reaper session? I think I read that the settings can be stored in a MIDI file. Which would suggest that the best method would be KORG>MIDI>REAPER>MIDI>KORG>AUDIO>REAPER.

      Or would I be better off selling this and buying the software equivalent!
    • jeff bornhoeft
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2012
        In my opinion hardware is always more fun, so hardware > software
        IMO. Whatever solution you use, you have to get that audio into reaper
        somehow. I'm not familiar with Reaper, but in FL Studio there are about 4
        different ways to do that, all of them work well, and each have thier pros
        and cons. Whatever way suits your workflow is the method you should use.
        The simplest way is probably to mute eveything else but the hardware you
        are recording and it's corresponding midi track, then record the resulting
        audio to a new audio track.

        On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 6:20 AM, ianpwilliams <ianpwilliams@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi everyone, I just got a KORG MS2000, and I have a question.
        >
        > What is the best way to work with this, in terms of MIDI and audio
        > connections, and when in conjunction with a MIDI sequencer? I normally work
        > with software VSTi's and a MIDI slave keyboard, rather than hardware like
        > this, so I'm not sure.
        >
        > From what I've read, it seems that I could connect the KORG to my
        > sequencer (Reaper) via MIDI. But once I do, I dont know how will it all
        > work. After all, the KORG is producing the sounds, not the computer
        > soundcard, so that mean that I would be recording MIDI into the sequencer,
        > that would then send that back out to the KORG to produce the sounds? And
        > if that was the case, then how would I be recording the KORG? Would I have
        > to then send the signal back to the sequencer via audio out, and record it
        > to an audio track?
        >
        > Or am I better off just literally sending an audio out from the KORG
        > directly to a Reaper audio track, and recording it? Although that would
        > limit be options if I wanted to tweak certain settings.
        >
        > And with there being so many settings on the KORG, is there a way of
        > storing them in the Reaper session? I think I read that the settings can be
        > stored in a MIDI file. Which would suggest that the best method would be
        > KORG>MIDI>REAPER>MIDI>KORG>AUDIO>REAPER.
        >
        > Or would I be better off selling this and buying the software equivalent!

      • michael walker
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2012
          Hi mate,
          Go midi out from the korg to midi in to your sequencer. Then midi out from your sequencer to the korgs midi in. Then a stereo audio cable from the korg to your soundcards input. And thats your connections!
          Set up a midi track on your sequencer to record and playback the korg. Remember that your sequencer should record every tweek you make of any knob on the korg while it is recording. (Thats the beauty of the korg).
          When you are happy with the track, record it as an audio track. Save your sound on the korg cos theres no going back after that if you want to make more changes. Then set up another midi track and your free to do it all again!
          While theres tonnes of great soft synths out there, nothing compares to the hands on tweaking of a synth like the korg. Plus alot of softies will let you control its parameters with the korg knobs and record the tweekings, which can be fantastic.
          So hold on to your korg and explore all of its possibilities and potential. All the best, Michael
        • BumC
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2012
            I use Reaper with my ms2000.
            I usually start with an audio track and a mdi track at the same time.
            That way you can get both in the same time line.

            You can also create a separate track for control changes on the ms2000. then send to the midi track to play back your knob movements.