MS2000R for dummies?

  • benmrx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hello, 1st post here. Been getting back into electronica music, and finally bought myself a
      decent (I think) synth...MS2000R. And I've got a couple VERY newbie questions for you
      folks.

      1. How do I go about upgrading the Operating System. I'm using a Mac OS 9.2, running
      Pro Tools 5.2. at home for sequencing/song writing. I know it's an ancient system, but it's
      all I got for now at home. I do have a Mac G5 running OS 10.4 at the studio with Pro
      Tools 7.1 as well.

      2. Did any of the OS updates ever REALLY fix the MIDI timing in the MS2000R? It
      definatly lags.

      3. How do I go about transferring patches I download from the internet to the MS2000R.
      I'm assuming it has something to do with a sysex dump (which is something I've never
      fully understood). Can this be done from within Pro Tools? Do I also need some kind of
      librarian program to make this happen?

      4. Is it basically the same procedure (except in reverse) to transfer patches from the
      MS2000R to the computer for saving/sharing etc.?

      Thanks,

      Ben
    • jenderfazz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2008
        --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "benmrx" <benmrx@...> wrote:

        > Hello, 1st post here. Been getting back into electronica music, and
        finally bought myself a
        > decent (I think) synth...MS2000R. And I've got a couple VERY newbie
        questions for you
        > folks.
        >
        > 1. How do I go about upgrading the Operating System. I'm using a
        Mac OS 9.2, running
        > Pro Tools 5.2. at home for sequencing/song writing. I know it's an
        ancient system, but it's
        > all I got for now at home. I do have a Mac G5 running OS 10.4 at
        the studio with Pro
        > Tools 7.1 as well.
        >
        > 2. Did any of the OS updates ever REALLY fix the MIDI timing in the
        MS2000R? It
        > definatly lags.
        >
        > 3. How do I go about transferring patches I download from the
        internet to the MS2000R.
        > I'm assuming it has something to do with a sysex dump (which is
        something I've never
        > fully understood). Can this be done from within Pro Tools? Do I
        also need some kind of
        > librarian program to make this happen?
        >
        > 4. Is it basically the same procedure (except in reverse) to
        transfer patches from the
        > MS2000R to the computer for saving/sharing etc.?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ben

        most of the things you mentioned can be solved through sysex. get a
        program like midiox. this program lets you transfer between your
        computer and the synth via midi in/out.

        so download the os patch and any internet patches you'd like to
        transfer. check out the manual to allow your ms2000 to accept sysex
        (basically remove memory protection and turn sysex on), and use midiox
        to send the files.

        you can work backwards and backup your patches to your computer using
        this method as well.

        all in all it seems complicated but it's pretty simple if you've done
        it once. good luck!