Cannot figure out the Vocoder... Bad Mic?

  • jwanderson_in_reno
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi everyone. I have had me ms2kr for about two years now, and am just
      now getting around to experimenting with the vocoder. I am running
      into serious issues though... I can't program a vocoder patch for
      anything! No sound will come out. I can play the synth just fine, but
      as soon as i try to create a vocoder patch, nothing! Which leads me to
      believe one of two things... I have a bad mic, or I don't know how to
      use the vocoder feature of the ms, which is most probable.

      I know how a vocoder works, not a total newb... I know you need a
      carrier signal, and a modulator signal. How does the signal flow
      through the ms in vocoder mode? I mean, as soon as I put it into
      vocoder mode, it will only let me pick the audio source for oscillator
      1, which I assume must be set to audio input? But then how do I select
      the waveform to vocode my voice?

      I am using a dynamic mic from radio shack, no phantom power needed,
      plugged into audio input 2 with it switched to mic input.

      Thanks in advance for any help given.
    • jenderfazz
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2008
        --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "jwanderson_in_reno"
        <jwanderson_in_reno@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone. I have had me ms2kr for about two years now, and am just
        > now getting around to experimenting with the vocoder. I am running
        > into serious issues though... I can't program a vocoder patch for
        > anything! No sound will come out. I can play the synth just fine, but
        > as soon as i try to create a vocoder patch, nothing! Which leads me to
        > believe one of two things... I have a bad mic, or I don't know how to
        > use the vocoder feature of the ms, which is most probable.
        >
        > I know how a vocoder works, not a total newb... I know you need a
        > carrier signal, and a modulator signal. How does the signal flow
        > through the ms in vocoder mode? I mean, as soon as I put it into
        > vocoder mode, it will only let me pick the audio source for oscillator
        > 1, which I assume must be set to audio input? But then how do I select
        > the waveform to vocode my voice?
        >
        > I am using a dynamic mic from radio shack, no phantom power needed,
        > plugged into audio input 2 with it switched to mic input.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help given.

        1. plug the mic into audio in 2 and set the switch to "mic", which
        should boost your signal more. check the led indicators above the
        power knob - the right one ("voice") should light up when you speak.

        2. check your amp settings, level and pan.

        3. it's not necessary to set osc 1 to "audio in". try setting it to
        sawtooth or pwm. with audio in, your voice adjusts the pitch, while
        with the other settings, your keyboard decides the pitch regardless of
        your singing.

        basically, if the 1st test fails, you probably have a faulty mic or cable.