Re: Using the MS2000 as a controller keyboard ...

  • dbdog73
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 2:44 AM
      --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, Andrea TONI <atoni@...> wrote:

      > if u look carefully at page 11 of the manual .. MIDI specs
      >
      > http://www.spectralaudio.ch/support/Neptune_II.pdf
      >
      > u will see that u need 2 MIDI CCs
      >
      > 1 MSB and 33 LSB for Mod Lfos
      > 2 MSB and 34 LSB for Freq Cutoff
      >
      > i suspect this is done cos the resolution of these 2 parameters
      > in the Neptune II are higher than 0-127
      > (7 bit typical MIDI CCs that the ms2000 sends out)
      >
      > so u need 2 midiCCs as a sort of NRPN/RPN
      > which is basically sending 2 midi ccs quickly one after other one
      > in order to get the changes and like this u can achieve greater ranges
      >
      > so what happened to u now is that u change 0-127 numbers
      > of a parameters that maybe has 0-10000 numbers full scale possibilities
      > of tuning that's why u hear such a small change
      >
      > the ms2000 cant do that u need a SW remapper on a computer
      > www.midiox.com i guess can do that
      >
      > Andrea

      Also in the manual this is exaplained as;

      Controller 1+33: LFO modulation; multiplied with the current
      potentiometer setting.

      Controller 2+34: Control of the cut-off frequency; the current
      potentiometer setting is added.

      Anyway, I went off track a bit with my original post. I'm less
      concerned with being able to control these aspects over MIDI (as I
      might have implicated originally). I'm more concerned with simple
      stuff like triggering notes - When I assign the MS2000 as the MIDI
      input for the Neptune it doesn't seem to respond properlly when I
      play. For example if I play fast it sounds like notes are missed or
      'sloppy'. But if I assign my Axiom 25 controller keyboard it seems to
      respond as I would expect.

      You might then say why don't I just use the Axiom as a controller. I
      would but th Axiom is only 2 octave to the MS2000's 4 & I've set the
      room up so that the MS2000 is best placed to act as a control i.e. The
      Neptune 2 has been installed right above the MS2000 so that I can play
      the keyboard whilst easily reaching the controls for tweaking sounds.

      So I'm wondering if the MS2000, because it's a synth & obviously not
      just a controller, could be sending messages out that are causing the
      problems I described above? It just doesn't seem to play right when I
      use the MS2000. If push comes to shove I may have to rejig the whole
      room & buy a 4 octave controller just to use with the Neptune. But in
      order to save doing that (whilst saving a bit of cash as well) it
      would be cool if I could use the MS2000 to trigger the Neptune.
    • dbdog73
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3 10:50 AM
        --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "dbdog73" <dbdog73@...> wrote:

        > --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, Andrea TONI <atoni@> wrote:
        > >
        > > if u look carefully at page 11 of the manual .. MIDI specs
        > >
        > > http://www.spectralaudio.ch/support/Neptune_II.pdf
        > >
        > > u will see that u need 2 MIDI CCs
        > >
        > > 1 MSB and 33 LSB for Mod Lfos
        > > 2 MSB and 34 LSB for Freq Cutoff
        > >
        > > i suspect this is done cos the resolution of these 2 parameters
        > > in the Neptune II are higher than 0-127
        > > (7 bit typical MIDI CCs that the ms2000 sends out)
        > >
        > > so u need 2 midiCCs as a sort of NRPN/RPN
        > > which is basically sending 2 midi ccs quickly one after other one
        > > in order to get the changes and like this u can achieve greater
        ranges

        > > so what happened to u now is that u change 0-127 numbers
        > > of a parameters that maybe has 0-10000 numbers full scale
        possibilities
        > > of tuning that's why u hear such a small change
        > >
        > > the ms2000 cant do that u need a SW remapper on a computer
        > > www.midiox.com i guess can do that
        > >
        > > Andrea
        > >

        > Also in the manual this is exaplained as;
        >
        > Controller 1+33: LFO modulation; multiplied with the current
        > potentiometer setting.
        >
        > Controller 2+34: Control of the cut-off frequency; the current
        > potentiometer setting is added.
        >

        > Anyway, I went off track a bit with my original post. I'm less
        > concerned with being able to control these aspects over MIDI (as I
        > might have implicated originally). I'm more concerned with simple
        > stuff like triggering notes - When I assign the MS2000 as the MIDI
        > input for the Neptune it doesn't seem to respond properlly when I
        > play. For example if I play fast it sounds like notes are missed or
        > 'sloppy'. But if I assign my Axiom 25 controller keyboard it seems to
        > respond as I would expect.
        >
        > You might then say why don't I just use the Axiom as a controller. I
        > would but th Axiom is only 2 octave to the MS2000's 4 & I've set the
        > room up so that the MS2000 is best placed to act as a control i.e. The
        > Neptune 2 has been installed right above the MS2000 so that I can play
        > the keyboard whilst easily reaching the controls for tweaking sounds.
        >
        > So I'm wondering if the MS2000, because it's a synth & obviously not
        > just a controller, could be sending messages out that are causing the
        > problems I described above? It just doesn't seem to play right when I
        > use the MS2000. If push comes to shove I may have to rejig the whole
        > room & buy a 4 octave controller just to use with the Neptune. But in
        > order to save doing that (whilst saving a bit of cash as well) it
        > would be cool if I could use the MS2000 to trigger the Neptune.

        Sod it! I've given up on the idea of using the MS2000 as a controller
        & ordered one of those fancy looking new Akai MKP49's. That should do
        the trick ...... I hope!! The Neptune 2 seems to respond much better
        from my Axiom 25 than it does from the MS2000 so I guess a dedicated
        keyboard/controller is the way forward here.