midi in and update problems

  • wieger1963
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
      hello every one have a nice 2007

      i,have a few problems with my ms2000
      my ms2000 is hooked up on a AMT8 emagic midi interface midi is coming
      out of the ms2000 and send over the AMT8 to my other synth's
      but i can,t get midi in the ms2000 over the AMT8 when i,am playing
      on another synth the ms2000 is not responding
      If not playing the ms2000 keyboard so no midi is out or in i'll see
      that the out led on my AMT8 is sligtly lighten up feels like there's a
      wall
      Also when i,am trying to update the OS the ms2000 is not responding

      i,am sure to have followed all the instructions etc to get things
      running

      Maybe you guys have a answer for this problem

      regards wieger
    • Sjaak de Vos
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
        Tried other cables ?
        What program are you using to update ?
        If it's something like Cubase try lowering the BPM.

        I have an AMT8 myself, when I don't play the ms2000 the out led on the
        AMT are completely out/dark.
        Is this the first time you use the AMT8 or have you used it before
        successfully with other synths ?

        Did you connect both Midi In and Out of the ms2k to the AMT, not sure if
        this is necessary but it might help.

        Did you switch off the ms2k memory protect ?

        The AMT8 never gave me any problems so if there's no technical
        problem/malfunction you should be able to get it up and running.

        succes,

        Sjaak

        wieger1963 wrote:

        >hello every one have a nice 2007
        >
        >i,have a few problems with my ms2000
        >my ms2000 is hooked up on a AMT8 emagic midi interface midi is coming
        >out of the ms2000 and send over the AMT8 to my other synth's
        >but i can,t get midi in the ms2000 over the AMT8 when i,am playing
        >on another synth the ms2000 is not responding
        >If not playing the ms2000 keyboard so no midi is out or in i'll see
        >that the out led on my AMT8 is sligtly lighten up feels like there's a
        >wall
        >Also when i,am trying to update the OS the ms2000 is not responding
        >
        >i,am sure to have followed all the instructions etc to get things
        >running
        >
        >Maybe you guys have a answer for this problem
        >
        >regards wieger
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Sjaak de Vos
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
          Ah, I see I didn't read your mail sufficiently, so ignore this (and
          perhaps other) stupid question....

          Sjaak de Vos wrote:

          >Is this the first time you use the AMT8 or have you used it before
          >successfully with other synths ?
          >

          >wieger1963 wrote:
          >

          >>hello every one have a nice 2007
          >>
          >>i,have a few problems with my ms2000
          >>my ms2000 is hooked up on a AMT8 emagic midi interface midi is coming
          >>out of the ms2000 and send over the AMT8 to my other synth's
          >>but i can,t get midi in the ms2000 over the AMT8 when i,am playing
          >>on another synth the ms2000 is not responding

        • Wiean
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
            Hello Sjaak,

            thanks for the reply on the subject
            when i play the ms2000 midi is going out the leds on the AMT8 are burning no problem at all but when i want to put midi over the AMT8 to the ms2000 nothing is hapening
            and the ms2000 play's no voice of whatever so there no midi coming in also the led on the AMT8 has a continius fading light where the midi cabel is plugged in
            midi in port 3 on the AMT8 so you might think there something of a wall on that channnel/port
            i,ve tried several software app like sounddiver logic 5.5 cubase etc but i can,t get tru
            the OS update software that i use come from Korg its included by the update patch

            my understanding with midi is very high but this is going over me please let me no if you have a solution for this problem.

            regards wieger

            wieger1963 wrote:

            >hello every one have a nice 2007
            >
            >i,have a few problems with my ms2000
            >my ms2000 is hooked up on a AMT8 emagic midi interface midi is coming
            >out of the ms2000 and send over the AMT8 to my other synth's
            >but i can,t get midi in the ms2000 over the AMT8 when i,am playing
            >on another synth the ms2000 is not responding
            >If not playing the ms2000 keyboard so no midi is out or in i'll see
            >that the out led on my AMT8 is sligtly lighten up feels like there's a
            >wall
            >Also when i,am trying to update the OS the ms2000 is not responding
            >
            >i,am sure to have followed all the instructions etc to get things
            >running
            >
            >Maybe you guys have a answer for this problem
            >
            >regards wieger
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • StuartE
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
              Have you tried MIDI OX, you can use this to monitor all your midi
              ports and will show you the MIDI data passing through them. I have
              found it realy ussfull for diagnosing midi problems.

              --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "Wiean" <wiean1@...> wrote:

              > Hello Sjaak,
              >
              > thanks for the reply on the subject
              > when i play the ms2000 midi is going out the leds on the AMT8 are
              burning no problem at all but when i want to put midi over the AMT8 to
              the ms2000 nothing is hapening
              > and the ms2000 play's no voice of whatever so there no midi coming
              in also the led on the AMT8 has a continius fading light where the
              midi cabel is plugged in
              > midi in port 3 on the AMT8 so you might think there something of a
              wall on that channnel/port
              > i,ve tried several software app like sounddiver logic 5.5 cubase etc
              but i can,t get tru
              > the OS update software that i use come from Korg its included by the
              update patch

              > my understanding with midi is very high but this is going over me
              please let me no if you have a solution for this problem.

              > regards wieger

            • Sjaak de Vos
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
                Wiean wrote:
                > Hello Sjaak,
                >
                > thanks for the reply on the subject
                > when i play the ms2000 midi is going out the leds on the AMT8 are burning no problem at all but when i want to put midi over the AMT8 to the ms2000 nothing is hapening

                Oke, let's try to isolate the problem, what happens if you disconnect
                the AMT and connect the masterkeyboard's Out directly to the ms2k In.
                Use/test the same midi cables you're using now(if you didn't do this
                already :-) )
                Got any sound ?
                Than the problem perhaps is somewhere with the AMT I would say..

                > and the ms2000 play's no voice of whatever so there no midi coming in also the led on the AMT8 has a continius fading light where the midi cabel is plugged in

                My ms2k IN led on the AMT is burning bright all the time (don't ask me why).
                My Nord keyboard doesn't do this, this led on the AMT only lights up
                when I play the keys on the Nord.

                > midi in port 3 on the AMT8 so you might think there something of a wall on that channnel/port
                > i,ve tried several software app like sounddiver logic 5.5 cubase etc but i can,t get tru
                > the OS update software that i use come from Korg its included by the update patch
                >
                > my understanding with midi is very high but this is going over me please let me no if you have a solution for this problem.

                Oke, just a few more questions, how long do you have the Ms2k, did you
                recently buy it and did you dive into the (global) settings and manual
                already ?
                If you bought it used recently maybe a factory reset would help...
                I would also try the same AMT channel with different synths to see if
                that works, try to sort out all kinda things so that in the end you know
                what works and what not.
                If you have an AMT8 I think you've got some more gear to make a few
                different test setups and hopefully isolate the problem and pin it down
                at a certain point of time.

                good luck,

                SJaak

              • Wiean
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2007
                  Hello everyone,

                  thanks for allthe help on this subject
                  I'am happy to say that the problem is solved for 75%
                  iám able to upgrade the ms2000 OS en that midi is flowing in and out of the ms2000 to the AMT8 to my other synth,s
                  had something to do with the clock setting of the ms2000 it seems to be that the clock has to put on external if you want to put midi in the ms2000 or want to upgrade the OS
                  Still i'll find that a little bit strange because my other synth,s [supernova 2 and Korg karma] are able to receive upgrade's and sysex and other data with internal clock settings all the way , maybe still some kind of bug in the OS sotware of the ms2000
                  The second problem that is still rising is the fact that the midi in led of the AMT8 is still burning if the ms2000 is connected even with no midi is coming in or out
                  of the ms2000 to the AMT8 by internal clock settings by external the led is out

                  regards wieger

                  > when i play the ms2000 midi is going out the leds on the AMT8 are burning no problem at all but when i want to put midi over the AMT8 to the ms2000 nothing is hapening

                  Oke, let's try to isolate the problem, what happens if you disconnect
                  the AMT and connect the masterkeyboard's Out directly to the ms2k In.
                  Use/test the same midi cables you're using now(if you didn't do this
                  already :-) )
                  Got any sound ?
                  Than the problem perhaps is somewhere with the AMT I would say..

                  > and the ms2000 play's no voice of whatever so there no midi coming in also the led on the AMT8 has a continius fading light where the midi cabel is plugged in

                  My ms2k IN led on the AMT is burning bright all the time (don't ask me why).
                  My Nord keyboard doesn't do this, this led on the AMT only lights up
                  when I play the keys on the Nord.

                  > midi in port 3 on the AMT8 so you might think there something of a wall on that channnel/port
                  > i,ve tried several software app like sounddiver logic 5.5 cubase etc but i can,t get tru
                  > the OS update software that i use come from Korg its included by the update patch
                  >
                  > my understanding with midi is very high but this is going over me please let me no if you have a solution for this problem.

                  Oke, just a few more questions, how long do you have the Ms2k, did you
                  recently buy it and did you dive into the (global) settings and manual
                  already ?
                  If you bought it used recently maybe a factory reset would help...
                  I would also try the same AMT channel with different synths to see if
                  that works, try to sort out all kinda things so that in the end you know
                  what works and what not.
                  If you have an AMT8 I think you've got some more gear to make a few
                  different test setups and hopefully isolate the problem and pin it down
                  at a certain point of time.

                  good luck,

                  SJaak

                • sjaakkorg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
                    Good to hear you made progress.
                    I would ignore the ms2k's MIDI In led on the AMT 8 burning.
                    Mine does that already for ages, I don't know why but it works.

                    But if you might discover why it is burning let us know (<:

                    Sjaak

                  • balderson04
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
                      --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "sjaakkorg" <sjaakdevos@...> wrote:

                      > But if you might discover why it is burning let us know (<:

                      I think it's sending running status bytes, thousands of them.

                      Both my MS2K and my Yamaha DGX500 do so. I'm able to temporarily turn
                      off the status bytes on the Yamaha, but I've not found how to do it on
                      the Korg.

                      Not a problem really, because all but a few programs ignore them
                      anyway. It might reduce the life cycle of the LED on your midi
                      interface by a bit.