Re: i'm having midi in problems...

  • dan86310
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2006
      hi, thanks very much for the speedy reply. still no luck though
      midi's going out to in, in to out, ms2kb on channel 1, and sonar
      receives midi notes and all that from the ms2kb when in record mode.
      i also downloaded the instrument file like you said and selected
      that in sonar, but i'm probably doing something a biiiit wrong
      still :(
      here's a screenshot of what i have set up in sonar:
      http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/5404/sonarscreenoo9.jpg
      thanks,
      dan

      --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <admin@...> wrote:

      > 2x2 here with ms2k hooked up and sonar...
      > midi in to out
      > out to in?
      >
      > in sonar, did you add the instrument inf file for the patches?
      > MS2k set up right for midi out, channel 1?
      > when you press a key, have sonar with a midi track in record,
      record, do you see midi notes/activity?

      > file area in the group, has all kinds of cool stuff for you in
      sonar to midi hook up...

      > post or email me direct. I am still reviewing all my email but I
      will respond if you still have problems...

      http://cdbaby.com/cd/inquisitorbetrayer,
      http://www.myspace.com/inquisitorbetrayer ,
      > http://www.musicforte.com/member/ib_staff
      >
      > Angel's Wings
      > http://www.soundclick.com/angelswings
      >
      > New synth programming group for all synths.
      > Synth_Programming-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

    • Dale
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2006
        http://www.shoshone.org/ION_Sonar/
        some screen shots with ms2K ... Sea of Fire, Fire of Four parts on these screens...

        So you can record, I see midi events there. Did you look at the staff or the even screen to see actual notes?
        So when you play back, no ms2k sound?

        I noticed you have midi echo on, the high lite box above the track. That wont stop you from sending notes but might make a nice loop sometime. Some synths, like the s-80 need that on to work right however.

        Next thing I noticed was the patch name was not in the box, A01 but not the name. Maybe the inf file you are using don't have the names?
        I don't think that is going to prevent you from playing back either.

        check the ms2k menus
        global
        page over to 03a (use cursor)
        midi ch 1
        local on
        clock : Internal
        midi 1 P. bend
        midi 2 cc#01

        page over to 04a
        program change enabled
        ctrl change enabled
        p.bend enabled
        systemEx enabled
        note rec all
        p.chng A01
        sync control cc#90
        timb sel cc#95

        page 05a
        port cc#05
        page 06a
        pedal exp pd1 (if you got one)(A must have really)

        check those setting on the ms2k

        Sonar

        options midi devices, all selected that you are going to use (high lighted)
        options instruments, all routed to the right spot (check each one, you can route to different places very easy)
        options, project
        source audio
        ticks 960
        metronome, off (I hate that thing...) ;-)
        midi out under other, zero and patch/control before play starts (this will drive you nuts if you do changes by hand and do not record them as midi.. so beware if you alter during playback, this will have to be set to off if you do that, both)
        synch (right not I am using the extreme for a synch clock, I also use ms2k, jp8000 and on as needed., even the ION, choose what you consider the clock you want to use for your project)
        options global
        midi all checked, buffers 64, playback 500 ms, echoes are off for sysex right now...

        Very good possibility, all of that might get it working for you, at least to check...

        I will be in and out today so I will come back and look for post to see if any of this insanity I mention helps...

        there are a few more things to look at and check into ... I can also do some screen captures for MS2k right now, it's set up to work with sonar at the moment.
        remember what I said was for sonar 4 producer version, I have other versions here but not in use at the moment. ALSO
        a big ALSO
        what works for me, might not for you in the details, like the ticks 960, that maybe too fine for you.. see the help files and adjust to your music styles ...
        you might want that metronome working? that has driven me crazy sometimes, when I am ready to record, tick tick tick... like what the heck...
        I have my sonar set up to pull open a defualt template with all the stuff set as I want to start off with.. sometimes, I will open a project from else where ... and guess what ... tick tick tick ... ;-)reminds of that croc in peter pan ... ahhhheeerrrrrr

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2006
          thank you once again for all the time you spent helping me on this!
          but still, i've followed all your advice in the last post and the
          same problem persists. the synth still doesn't receive midi from
          sonar. booooo. keep reinstalling the drivers for the midisport as
          well, but nothing...
          yours,
          an unhappy dan

        • Christian Dahlmann
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2006
            Hi Dan ! Hi Group !

            Did you try connecting your midisport out direclty to midisport in to
            play and record some notes?
            Maybe the recorded do not look like they should , wrong channel maybe.
            You also could connect your midisport in to the ms2000 thru to get out
            whether you this part of the system works or not.
            You also should check the settings of the global midi channel and of the
            part midichannels and try sending to each of them.
            Did you try a system reset of the ms2000 ?

            Kind regards,
            Christian

          • Dale
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2006
              swap cables ...

              you are sending to the right midi channel selected?/port

              try port b (in and out), change it over in sonar to use .. maybe bad midisport?

              the little 2x2 I have, one side is a, the other a and b on the cable hook up.. you did not cross that right?

              dale

              band web pages
              Inquisitor Betrayer
              New CD "Space Elevator" Get it at http://cdbaby.com/cd/inquisitorbetrayer
              http://www.inquisitorbetrayer.com, http://www.myspace.com/inquisitorbetrayer, http://www.musicforte.com/member/ib_staff and
              Angel's Wings http://www.soundclick.com/angelswings

              Recent events require your assistance to your charities. Do give when able. "without music, life would be a mistake"

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2006
                --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <admin@...> wrote:
                >try port b (in and out), change it over in sonar to use .. maybe bad
                >midisport?
                >
                >the little 2x2 I have, one side is a, the other a and b on the cable
                >hook up.. you did not cross that right?

                That 2x2 has a little thru switch on it IIRC, make sure that's in the
                right (non-thru) position. Also check you haven't accidentally plugged
                a cable into the MIDI THRU socket on the back of the MS2K rather than
                the MIDI IN or OUT.

                Both mistakes I've made :-)

                Daz.
              • Dale
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Dan, did you get it working?

                  yep
                  right there with you Daz. and further ... :-(
                  add poking the mixer "in" where the pedal goes too ... ;-)
                  mike to pedal
                  in fact if it could be hooked wrong, I have done it ...
                  left/right crossed, pedal polarity wrong and on ...

                  broken midi cable (how does a cable go bad? just sitting there, then be broke?)

                  currently I am very lucky, I have not had to move that stand for a long while, so it all routed, hooked up and waiting for me to turn on
                  I really like the fact that the midiman allows me to leave the synths off, so when I open Sonar, the midi is there waiting. Not so for the extreme.. turn that on first before you open sonar or you wont use it, even worst, if you got a project set up, the midi ports will be off ....

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2006
                    hi, very sorry for the late reply, it's been a very busy week ...
                    as always, thanks for the replies dale and daz but still no luck.
                    still no midi out from my computer, and the midi through button is
                    pressed into the usb state as it should beee.i tested the cable again,
                    and it's not broken, and the only thing i can think of, (other than my
                    cocking up) is that BOTH the midisport outputs are broken? that's
                    unlikely i would think isn't it? and haha yeah, im very familiar with
                    the 'wrong lead to wrong place' situation.
                    it's a constant in my musical life...
                    i'm not really sure what to do now. but thanks for all your
                    suggestions again guys!
                    dan
                  • Dale
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8, 2006
                      yea time maybe to try another midi interface
                      it does work, both ways.. I was just using it today in the studio with the ION and Extreme...
                      MS2000 and ION are on a midisport 2x2 ..
                      Extreme on it's own USB ...
                      I also do have a 8x8 here with other things in ... I use Sonar to record midi and audio ..
                      something is not set up right or not working correctly ...

                      dale

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 9, 2006
                        --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "dan86310" <dan86310@...> wrote:

                        > hi, very sorry for the late reply, it's been a very busy week ...
                        > as always, thanks for the replies dale and daz but still no luck.
                        > still no midi out from my computer, and the midi through button is
                        > pressed into the usb state as it should beee.i tested the cable again,
                        > and it's not broken, and the only thing i can think of, (other than my
                        > cocking up) is that BOTH the midisport outputs are broken? that's
                        > unlikely i would think isn't it? and haha yeah, im very familiar with
                        > the 'wrong lead to wrong place' situation.
                        > it's a constant in my musical life...
                        > i'm not really sure what to do now. but thanks for all your
                        > suggestions again guys!

                        When I've been in similar situations I've found it useful to do a
                        loopback test using MIDI OX. Connect a known good MIDI cable between
                        the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT of the MIDI interface and then in MIDI OX
                        enable the mode where the computer keyboard sends MIDI. Then you
                        should be able to send MIDI to the interface and see it coming back in
                        the MIDI OX monitor.

                        http://www.midiox.com

                        Daz.