Using reason in a live setting.

  • chamber420002000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
      I've just started getting into using reason with the Ms2000 as a midi
      controller. Is Reason easy to use live, with a laptop? I'm more so
      talking about using the softsynths/samplers in a live setting. Can you
      easily switch between patches and synths live with reason? Thanks.
    • jim g
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
        > From: "chamber420002000" <chamber42000@...>
        > Subject: Using reason in a live setting.
        >
        > I've just started getting into using reason with the Ms2000 as a midi
        > controller. Is Reason easy to use live, with a laptop? I'm more so
        > talking about using the softsynths/samplers in a live setting. Can you
        > easily switch between patches and synths live with reason? Thanks.

        Reason works pretty well in a live setting. There are a couple of
        idiosyncrasies to watch out for, however (these are as of Reason 2.5
        -- I've not played around with 3.0 to determine if these quirks have
        been addressed):

        1) The main multi-track sequencer will not loop properly when Reason
        is slaved to MIDI clock.

        2) Devices in Reason do not respond to MIDI patch-change messages.
        The only way to change a patch on a device is via the mouse.
        Workarounds include instantiating mutiple instances of the same device
        (several Subtractor synths, for example) each set to a different patch
        and MIDI channel -- then switching between them by changing the MIDI
        channel on your controller.

        3) Reason does not *send* MIDI clock, it only slaves to it.

        4) The remote-control MIDI spec in Reason can be a bit confusing.
        There is a *default* set of CC messages for each device, available for
        tweaking via the MIDI channel you specify for each device. In
        addition, you can also specify a MIDI port to use for "remote control"
        and you can customize the MIDI CC message (or keyboard key) via
        Reason's "MIDI Learn" feature -- the overlap of these two can be
        confusing, however.

        I've played live with Reason quite a bit. My band used two laptops
        (iBooks) both running Reason and sync'd together via MIDI clock from a
        hardware unit. In order to work around the main-sequencer looping
        issue, I simply didn't use it, instead all my sequencing came from
        Redrum's built-in pattern sequencer and several Matrix step-sequencers
        driving synths and samplers. I used multiple Reason files -- one per
        "song" -- to work around the patch-change problem (I had an open
        folder on the desktop as a "playlist", and simply double-clicked on
        each file to launch it) . While Reason is slaved to MIDI clock, it's
        possible to open up a 2nd file in the background while the 1st file is
        playing (the "play" checkbox in the transport bar will be unchecked in
        the 2nd file) and then move to the 2nd file (by clicking the "play"
        box) -- things will stay in sync. (This also works w/o MIDI sync, but
        the two files probably won't be in sync.) Unfortunately this involves
        a good bit of mouse work, but it's doable.

        Reason 3.0 supposedly has some sort of "meta-device" into which you
        can add various synths, samplers, FX, submixers, and sequencers and
        store that combination as a "patch" -- this device is called the
        "Combinator" I think. You could, in theory, store an entire song's
        setup as a patch in the Combinator, which might be better/easier than
        opening up multiple files as I've outlined above. Furthermore, Reason
        3.0 supposedly has improved live-performance/remote-control
        capabilities, and while I think you still can't send it MIDI
        patch-change commands, I think you can now remotely- control (via MIDI
        or the laptop's keyboard) the patch-change increment/decrement
        buttons, at least -- this wasn't available before.

        Hope that helps,
        -Jim G
        --
        from jimg via jimg at yojimg dot net