soft synths

  • Zero Crossing
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
      hi !
      i use MS2000 in all my songs and have never used any software synths before. Now i got an opportunity to try korg legacy collection as a vsti plugin.
      my question is. is it possible to play soft synths real time?
      I tryed to play legacy from cakewalk using dx vsti adapter and i could feel the latency. its fraction of a second but its still impossible to play realtime. then i thought that it could be the adapter that causes the delay and i tried to run it from logic. the same thing. i have no problem with sequencing midi in and playing it back. but i want to be able to play as well especially now that i have a korg microkontrol. my configuration is: p4 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram. i use microkontrol for midi interface and creative audigy ns external usb card for audio interface. i suspect it cold be my audio interface that causes latency? or maybe i gotta use firewire instead? has anybody have any idea, i dont know may be you always get some latency with soft synths?
      thanks in advance

    • Ric (the Obscene)
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
        I am not a Cakewalk / Sonar user, so I can not speak
        for that product directly. I do believe that Dale is,
        so maybe he can address this better than I.

        However, in using Cubase SX, as long as I have the
        correct ASIO driver selected, the latency is not
        noticeable.

        Ric

        --- Zero Crossing <zeroxingproductions@...>
        wrote:

        > hi !
        > i use MS2000 in all my songs and have never used
        > any software synths before. Now i got an opportunity
        > to try korg legacy collection as a vsti plugin.
        > my question is. is it possible to play soft synths
        > real time?
        > I tryed to play legacy from cakewalk using dx vsti
        > adapter and i could feel the latency. its fraction
        > of a second but its still impossible to play
        > realtime. then i thought that it could be the
        > adapter that causes the delay and i tried to run it
        > from logic. the same thing. i have no problem with
        > sequencing midi in and playing it back. but i want
        > to be able to play as well especially now that i
        > have a korg microkontrol. my configuration is: p4
        > 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram. i use microkontrol for midi
        > interface and creative audigy ns external usb card
        > for audio interface. i suspect it cold be my audio
        > interface that causes latency? or maybe i gotta use
        > firewire instead? has anybody have any idea, i dont
        > know may be you always get some latency with soft
        > synths?
        > thanks in advance

        > removed]

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Dale Kay
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
          Ahhh... you mentioned my name...
          I thought I try giving the groups a rest as many get tired my constant posting... most nonsense I agree.... ;-)

          I did start to respond then I thought, hey let the rest of the group give it a response...

          There are other here too who use VST's live and otherwise, they might be just busy at moment or have not had time to read yet.

          Here is my 2 cents...
          I am using a PIV, 2.52 with 1 gig ram, about 700 free. I also use a MOTU 24i and it's PCI 234 card for a sound card. I have my main board built in card dead in bios most of the time. I don't use it for audio recording etc. I also use a MIDI-Man 8x8, 2x2 and usb direct. Like the MicroKontrol and Triton Extreme. No joystick port or adapter, I have them, just don't use them.

          1. The joystick adapter port item is fine for one or two items. It also has a much greater latency issue. These things I found out using a sound blaster card and that set up many years back. Grant it, I did not try this on a PIV system but a P3 600 MHz many a year ago before I switched over to USB.

          2. Kill off all software you don't need running. If you don't need network/internet/mail running, disable the network adapter. I use a VST farm via the network on large projects. Slaving p3's and Celeron/Pentium ancient stuff. Normal stuff, I just use what I need. Other areas to kill off stuff, services (just disable what you don't need)

          3. Audio to midi latency will always be there. If you defrag the hard drives and keep a large space available, it helps to but this down.

          4. Your monitors should be close to you. Remember the speed of sound. If you add a lot is distance, precious ms will add up.

          5. Try different drivers. ASIO and WDM... ASIO works for some things, WDM for others. They don't mix well. WDM right now for me is 21.3, with a effective at 48KHz, 149.3 ms. If I go ASIO, much faster but drop outs and crackles with the occasion errors on some vsts. Sound like a lot but really it isn't. I adjust each project down as needed. It also depends on the VST load I put on it. I do keep it low as I can.

          6. I could upgrade my hardware, it's about 3 years or so old now.. and MOTU has much faster newer stuff, could do the same with the system and add more memory etc... That would apply to you too... your hardware might need to step up as you put more demands on it.

          7. I work one track at a time. Effect that track, bounce it to audio. That goes for P5 work, vsts, midi in etc. Once that track is workable the way I want, I play off that track. That is, I play it back while I lay down the next track. I then repeat and move on. I go back and adjust as needed or remove effects/vsts that do not mix in right or give me what thing I am after.
          If I was recording a whole group, I do it different of course. Most of the time I use hardware effects for that, feed in to the mixer then to MOTU. I still use analog mixers. ;-) Yes I could drag in 24 tracks at once but I only do that when I have too. The driver latency adds up with each channel you drag in. So my next suggestion is, only use what channels you need to use. In your case, you only have 2 or 4 in that card? but turn off surround sound and any internal effects. That adds time.

          8. Having a lot of midi devices set up at once seems to add to the over head a bit. I am very guilty at wanting to have access all midi stuff at once just in case. I do notice that, if I take the time to not enable every single port I have to use, it seems to flow a bit faster and latency goes down. On top of the midi-man and usb stuff I mention, I also have midi-yoke running and heck who what else sometimes. If I trim to only what I am going to use. A lot of little things that make problems go away.

          10. If you are going to upgrade, get a 96KHz or faster system. MOTU has been very good to me. There are others to consider. The motu 828 MKII (it's late) looks a like a good path to me. If I did not have midi-man stuff, I go MOTU for the midi too. Serial interface to midi-man and other serial midi adapters often are more stable. USB and firewire is all good and all but I have seen some areas where it has given me some problems. Not often.
          why 96KHz? HEADROOM for the mix and it sounds much better... yes you are going to dither it away to 44KHz at 16 bits for a CD and you will have to listen to that mix to see what you loose. MOTU drivers do give you a choice of how to dither. You will need to check each method your card has or what you get. At my age, I know my hearing is not like it was when I was 16. I worked on the flight line a few years with the usually hearing protection. I run sound for a few bands. I do my own recording and others too. But, I can still hear the difference between 44, 48 and 96. Like mp3 at 128 bit rate compared to one at 320 or the actual wave. So my hearing can't be that far off. If you can't tell, your equipment and or hearing might need to looked into.

          11. Sonar/cakewalk web site, knowledge base. Almost all I said is there too. There are about maybe a hundred other sites to visit to read up on. It's late and I might have forgot something... I usually do no matter what time it is. Juggle too many things at once... A excellent site to get more info (general and MS2k) can be found at www.irishacts.com too. Someone on the list here is an active member... or two or three... ;-)

          So recap... make sure your hardware is at optimum. Use usb as needed or serial for midi. Keep your devices to a min. Turn off all stuff you are not using. Keep your hard drive clean, lean and mean. The war to capture the perfect wave is winnable. ;-) Last remember the computer is a tool and a instrument in it's own right. You got to learn it or just get it enough so you can do your thing on the synths.

          News stuff comes out all the time and new updates. Generally it's for the better. Watch what updates you do and drivers updates esp. I just added a larger second drive. That gave me fits for a few weeks till I balanced the drivers and system back out. Something as simple as that. When I stop buying synths or softsynths, I plan on upgrading to the MOTU 828 MKII. I played with ebay a bit already in that area and know I need to set aside at least $550 or more... I also have that thought it's time to move up to a faster system and on and on... I am working on a duel 2.8 with 2 gig, sata duel drive at day job... it is supposed to be another terminal server.... but someone had a evil thought to test it out as a rack daw.... ;-) A few days behind the plan it is....1 unit high but way to loud for a studio...(way to loud!)... but 2003 server with sonar 3.11... I will update to new version of sonar in a few month/weeks. If I get a chance to test that too, I will.

          dale

          Administrator for Kay-Net.com
          admin@...
          Lancaster CA
          661-723-0266

          Do you have one of the Axk series of Yamaha Samplers? If so, join the A5000 group
          YamahaA5000-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Currently a song contest featuring Axk
          Samplers only is open to all members.

          Got a Korg MS2000 or MicroKorg, join the hottest group on yahoo and enter
          the Song Contest. If not a member, join @ korgms2000-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          band web page
          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/inquisitorbetrayermusic.htm

          wrote:

          > hi !
          > i use MS2000 in all my songs and have never used
          > any software synths before. Now i got an opportunity
          > to try korg legacy collection as a vsti plugin.
          > my question is. is it possible to play soft synths
          > real time?
          > I tryed to play legacy from cakewalk using dx vsti
          > adapter and i could feel the latency. its fraction
          > of a second but its still impossible to play
          > realtime. then i thought that it could be the
          > adapter that causes the delay and i tried to run it
          > from logic. the same thing. i have no problem with
          > sequencing midi in and playing it back. but i want
          > to be able to play as well especially now that i
          > have a korg microkontrol. my configuration is: p4
          > 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram. i use microkontrol for midi
          > interface and creative audigy ns external usb card
          > for audio interface. i suspect it cold be my audio
          > interface that causes latency? or maybe i gotta use
          > firewire instead? has anybody have any idea, i dont
          > know may be you always get some latency with soft
          > synths?
          > thanks in advance

        • peter duncan
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
            I have a similar PC spec but use my MS2k with a motu 828 mk2 ...whenever I
            use any soft synths if there is any latency it is too small for me to notice
            :o)

            >From: Zero Crossing <zeroxingproductions@...>
            >To: korgms2000@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [korgms2000] soft synths
            >Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:40:25 +0000 (GMT)
            >
            >hi !
            > i use MS2000 in all my songs and have never used any software synths
            >before. Now i got an opportunity to try korg legacy collection as a vsti
            >plugin.
            >my question is. is it possible to play soft synths real time?
            >I tryed to play legacy from cakewalk using dx vsti adapter and i could
            >feel the latency. its fraction of a second but its still impossible to play
            >realtime. then i thought that it could be the adapter that causes the delay
            >and i tried to run it from logic. the same thing. i have no problem with
            >sequencing midi in and playing it back. but i want to be able to play as
            >well especially now that i have a korg microkontrol. my configuration is:
            >p4 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram. i use microkontrol for midi interface and creative
            >audigy ns external usb card for audio interface. i suspect it cold be my
            >audio interface that causes latency? or maybe i gotta use firewire instead?
            >has anybody have any idea, i dont know may be you always get some latency
            >with soft synths?
            >thanks in advance

          • Zero Crossing
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
              thanks dan and everyone who replied. i am gonna try another audio interface. does anybody have anything to say about m-audio audiophile firewire card? it's about 99 pounds and thats sort of money im looking to spend.

              peter duncan <petejd13@...> wrote:I have a similar PC spec but use my MS2k with a motu 828 mk2 ...whenever I
              use any soft synths if there is any latency it is too small for me to notice
              :o)

              >From: Zero Crossing <zeroxingproductions@...>
              >To: korgms2000@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [korgms2000] soft synths
              >Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:40:25 +0000 (GMT)
              >
              >hi !
              > i use MS2000 in all my songs and have never used any software synths
              >before. Now i got an opportunity to try korg legacy collection as a vsti
              >plugin.
              >my question is. is it possible to play soft synths real time?
              >I tryed to play legacy from cakewalk using dx vsti adapter and i could
              >feel the latency. its fraction of a second but its still impossible to play
              >realtime. then i thought that it could be the adapter that causes the delay
              >and i tried to run it from logic. the same thing. i have no problem with
              >sequencing midi in and playing it back. but i want to be able to play as
              >well especially now that i have a korg microkontrol. my configuration is:
              >p4 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram. i use microkontrol for midi interface and creative
              >audigy ns external usb card for audio interface. i suspect it cold be my
              >audio interface that causes latency? or maybe i gotta use firewire instead?
              >has anybody have any idea, i dont know may be you always get some latency
              >with soft synths?
              >thanks in advance

            • steve teak
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
                Yeah I think M-audio tend to be pro-ish products witha decent price.
                Firewire one for £99 where?! do you need firewire cos of laptop?
                You'll get the basic Audiophile 2696 which has 2in, 2 outs, spdif, optical and a midi in and out. Its full duplex with zeroish letency with asio drivers and its only around £50 now, I know cos I paid £130 four months ago, bastards!
                Also the delta ones with multiple I/O are good my mates use them.

                Laters
                Stevo

                Zero Crossing <zeroxingproductions@...> wrote:

                thanks dan and everyone who replied. i am gonna try another audio interface. does anybody have anything to say about m-audio audiophile firewire card? it's about 99 pounds and thats sort of money im looking to spend.

                peter duncan
                wrote:I have a similar PC spec but use my MS2k with a motu 828 mk2 ...whenever I
                use any soft synths if there is any latency it is too small for me to notice
                :o)

                >From: Zero Crossing
                >To: korgms2000@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [korgms2000] soft synths
                >Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:40:25 +0000 (GMT)
                >
                >hi !
                > i use MS2000 in all my songs and have never used any software synths
                >before. Now i got an opportunity to try korg legacy collection as a vsti
                >plugin.
                >my question is. is it possible to play soft synths real time?
                >I tryed to play legacy from cakewalk using dx vsti adapter and i could
                >feel the latency. its fraction of a second but its still impossible to play
                >realtime. then i thought that it could be the adapter that causes the delay
                >and i tried to run it from logic. the same thing. i have no problem with
                >sequencing midi in and playing it back. but i want to be able to play as
                >well especially now that i have a korg microkontrol. my configuration is:
                >p4 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram. i use microkontrol for midi interface and creative
                >audigy ns external usb card for audio interface. i suspect it cold be my
                >audio interface that causes latency? or maybe i gotta use firewire instead?
                >has anybody have any idea, i dont know may be you always get some latency
                >with soft synths?
                >thanks in advance

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Zero Crossing
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
                  yeah, i need an external one because of laptop. i saw it in "turnkey" in london last week.

                  steve teak <steveteak@...> wrote:Yeah I think M-audio tend to be pro-ish products witha decent price.
                  Firewire one for £99 where?! do you need firewire cos of laptop?
                  You'll get the basic Audiophile 2696 which has 2in, 2 outs, spdif, optical and a midi in and out. Its full duplex with zeroish letency with asio drivers and its only around £50 now, I know cos I paid £130 four months ago, bastards!
                  Also the delta ones with multiple I/O are good my mates use them.

                  Laters
                  Stevo

                  Zero Crossing <zeroxingproductions@...> wrote:

                  thanks dan and everyone who replied. i am gonna try another audio interface. does anybody have anything to say about m-audio audiophile firewire card? it's about 99 pounds and thats sort of money im looking to spend.

                  peter duncan
                  wrote:I have a similar PC spec but use my MS2k with a motu 828 mk2 ...whenever I
                  use any soft synths if there is any latency it is too small for me to notice
                  :o)

                  >From: Zero Crossing
                  >To: korgms2000@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [korgms2000] soft synths
                  >Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:40:25 +0000 (GMT)
                  >
                  >hi !
                  > i use MS2000 in all my songs and have never used any software synths
                  >before. Now i got an opportunity to try korg legacy collection as a vsti
                  >plugin.
                  >my question is. is it possible to play soft synths real time?
                  >I tryed to play legacy from cakewalk using dx vsti adapter and i could
                  >feel the latency. its fraction of a second but its still impossible to play
                  >realtime. then i thought that it could be the adapter that causes the delay
                  >and i tried to run it from logic. the same thing. i have no problem with
                  >sequencing midi in and playing it back. but i want to be able to play as
                  >well especially now that i have a korg microkontrol. my configuration is:
                  >p4 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram. i use microkontrol for midi interface and creative
                  >audigy ns external usb card for audio interface. i suspect it cold be my
                  >audio interface that causes latency? or maybe i gotta use firewire instead?
                  >has anybody have any idea, i dont know may be you always get some latency
                  >with soft synths?
                  >thanks in advance

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Dale Kay
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
                    how does the higher bit rate sound on the 828?

                    dale

                    Administrator for Kay-Net.com
                    admin@...
                    Lancaster CA
                    661-723-0266

                    Got a Korg MS2000 or MicroKorg, join the hottest group on yahoo and enter
                    the Song Contest. If not a member, join @ korgms2000-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    Dale's band web page

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
                      2 cents again...
                      USB 1.1 works for audio but firewire is better...
                      USB 2 is much better than 1 but I still think firewire is better suited for audio... and this depends on the manufacture heavy too.
                      Now data transfer to a external hard drive, I get faster results with USB 2 compared to firewire. I done this on several different systems now. Even with external DVD/CD burners etc. Audio seems to flow faster with what I played with on firewire... ???? just some interesting notes...

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
                        Forget about USB1 for audio these days. Make sure that whatever
                        prodict you buy is either USB2 or Firewire (Providing of course your
                        laptop supports these standards).

                        The M-Audio audio cards are well renowned for quality & performance.
                        The bottom end of their pro audio cards, The Audiophile 2496, is
                        getting on a bit now but it's still considered by many in computer
                        music circles to be one of the best cards out there especially in
                        it's price range. It's been in Computer Music magazine's top 3 cards
                        in the reader awards since it was introduced. All you really have to
                        decide on is how many I/O's you will need on your interface & what
                        types of I/O you will need. M-Audio have a great range of products
                        suitable for all users.

                        Also, Latency won't be an issue with the M-Audio cards as they all
                        have pro ASIO drivers. Actaully any card that has decent ASIO drivers
                        shouldn't have much problems with software instruments & FX in real
                        time.

                        http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces

                        --- In korgms2000@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Kay" <admin@k...> wrote:
                        > 2 cents again...
                        > USB 1.1 works for audio but firewire is better...
                        > USB 2 is much better than 1 but I still think firewire is better
                        suited for audio... and this depends on the manufacture heavy too.
                        > Now data transfer to a external hard drive, I get faster results
                        with USB 2 compared to firewire. I done this on several different
                        systems now. Even with external DVD/CD burners etc. Audio seems to
                        flow faster with what I played with on firewire... ???? just some
                        interesting notes...

                        > dale
                        >
                        > Administrator for Kay-Net.com
                        > admin@k...
                        > Lancaster CA
                        > 661-723-0266
                        >
                        > Got a Korg MS2000 or MicroKorg, join the hottest group on yahoo and
                        enter
                        > the Song Contest. If not a member, join @ korgms2000-
                        subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        > Dale's band web page
                        > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/inquisitorbetrayermusic.htm

                      • peter duncan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2004
                          To my worn out old ears the 96khz 24bit sounds as smooth as any analogue
                          recording...and I won't be rushing out to go 192khz 56bit neither...well I'm
                          saying that now :o)

                          >From: "Dale Kay" <admin@...>
                          >To: <korgms2000@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: Re: [korgms2000] soft synths
                          >Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:53:50 -0800
                          >
                          >how does the higher bit rate sound on the 828?
                          >
                          >dale
                          >
                          >Administrator for Kay-Net.com
                          >admin@...
                          >Lancaster CA
                          >661-723-0266
                          >
                          >Got a Korg MS2000 or MicroKorg, join the hottest group on yahoo and enter
                          >the Song Contest. If not a member, join @
                          >korgms2000-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                          >
                          >Dale's band web page
                          >http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/inquisitorbetrayermusic.htm