Re: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
      peopleperson04 wrote:

      > it's possible. I'd love to be able to somehow get the arpeggiator to
      > lock up with the tempo grid in Acid 6.0.

      Hi,
      I don't know your Program, but I assume, it produces MIDI-Clock or note
      events. So either you will need a MIDI-Clock-to-analogue-click-converter
      maybe a Roland SBX10,
      Or you program 16 (short!) notes per bar in your program, then convert
      them to CV/Gate, and use the gate.

      Now you have a tempo trigger. This voltage based trigger must be
      converted to a socalled switched trigger (or S-trigger).

      I do not know any commercially available converter, but there is a
      description of how to build it on the Doepfer homepage (it is really
      very simple if someone can solder).

      http://www.doepfer.de/faq/gen_faq.htm#S-Trig

      Best regards, Florian
    • JIMBO
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
        You need to get your CV Gate out to the Mono/Poly's arpeggio trig in.
        I like to work in "latch" mode with "poly" on, set oscillators to
        different waveforms and octaves, use a stereo delay in sync with your
        midi time clock, one channel to 1/4 note delay, the other to 1/8th
        note delay, about 70% feedback, play a 1-4-5-1 chord, and you will be
        in the land of Berlin school electronica! Klaus would be proud.

        Peace,
        Jimbo
        www.sequenox.com

        --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "peopleperson04"
        <peopleperson04@...> wrote:

        > Hello all. I recently acquired a Mono/Poly and I love it. I have a
        > Midi to CV converter box which I know I can use with it to some
        > degree. Here's what I'm looking to do though, and I don't know if
        > it's possible. I'd love to be able to somehow get the arpeggiator to
        > lock up with the tempo grid in Acid 6.0. Is there anyway I can do
        > this? I want to play arpeggiated sequences into Acid while building
        > around them (kinda like mid-70's Tangerine Dream).

      • peopleperson04
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
          I can't tell you how helpful these responses are. Thanks so much
          guys. This is a huge help to me. I can't wait to try it.

          --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "JIMBO" <jimbodeluxe@...> wrote:

          > You need to get your CV Gate out to the Mono/Poly's arpeggio trig in.
          > I like to work in "latch" mode with "poly" on, set oscillators to
          > different waveforms and octaves, use a stereo delay in sync with your
          > midi time clock, one channel to 1/4 note delay, the other to 1/8th
          > note delay, about 70% feedback, play a 1-4-5-1 chord, and you will be
          > in the land of Berlin school electronica! Klaus would be proud.
          >
          > Peace,
          > Jimbo
          > www.sequenox.com
          >

          > --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "peopleperson04"
          > <peopleperson04@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all. I recently acquired a Mono/Poly and I love it. I have a
          > > Midi to CV converter box which I know I can use with it to some
          > > degree. Here's what I'm looking to do though, and I don't know if
          > > it's possible. I'd love to be able to somehow get the arpeggiator to
          > > lock up with the tempo grid in Acid 6.0. Is there anyway I can do
          > > this? I want to play arpeggiated sequences into Acid while building
          > > around them (kinda like mid-70's Tangerine Dream).

        • Martin Bonnevier
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 12, 2006
            Hi! one easy way to do that is if you�ve got mulitiple outputs from your
            soundcard. Just program a track with for example 1/16 notes, then use a
            short sample (fast attack), and route it through the soundcard ouput to
            "arpeggio trig in" on the MP.

            Best regards
            Martin, Sweden

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 12, 2006
              You mean all I gotta do is send short audio bits into the arpeggio trigger?  Like a simple click track perhaps?

              Martin Bonnevier <martinbonnevier@...> wrote:
              Hi! one easy way to do that is if you�ve got mulitiple outputs from your
              soundcard. Just program a track with for example 1/16 notes, then use a
              short sample (fast attack), and route it through the soundcard ouput to
              "arpeggio trig in" on the MP.

              Best regards
              Martin, Sweden

              >From: "peopleperson04"
              >To: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC
              >Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:20:43 -0000
              >
              >Hello all. I recently acquired a Mono/Poly and I love it. I have a
              >Midi to CV converter box which I know I can use with it to some
              >degree. Here's what I'm looking to do though, and I don't know if
              >it's possible. I'd love to be able to somehow get the arpeggiator to
              >lock up with the tempo grid in Acid 6.0. Is there anyway I can do
              >this? I want to play arpeggiated sequences into Acid while building
              >around them (kinda like mid-70's Tangerine Dream).

              Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/iWZylB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Jase From Outta Space
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 12, 2006
                A sample of a Roland TR707 drum machine's Rimshot would be ideal ...

                The TR707 actually had a dedicated Rimshot trigger output specifically for driving arpegiators ... this worked well for driving sync pulses into my Juno 6 back in the day. In fact the only reason I kept the 707 for so long was because it provided a convenient MIDI -> Sync Pulse "bridge" in my setup.

                Cheers

                jasefos

                You mean all I gotta do is send short audio bits into the arpeggio trigger?  Like a simple click track perhaps?

                Martin Bonnevier <martinbonnevier@...> wrote:
                Hi! one easy way to do that is if you�ve got mulitiple outputs from your
                soundcard. Just program a track with for example 1/16 notes, then use a
                short sample (fast attack), and route it through the soundcard ouput to
                "arpeggio trig in" on the MP.

                Best regards
                Martin, Sweden

                >From: "peopleperson04"
                >To: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC
                >Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:20:43 -0000
                >
                >Hello all. I recently acquired a Mono/Poly and I love it. I have a
                >Midi to CV converter box which I know I can use with it to some
                >degree. Here's what I'm looking to do though, and I don't know if
                >it's possible. I'd love to be able to somehow get the arpeggiator to
                >lock up with the tempo grid in Acid 6.0. Is there anyway I can do
                >this? I want to play arpeggiated sequences into Acid while building
                >around them (kinda like mid-70's Tangerine Dream).

                Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/iWZylB/TM

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Louis van Dompselaar
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Take note though that then M/P requires a negative going
                  trigger, so a positive pulse will trigger it on the down
                  slope. Depending on the pulse width, that might be too late.

                  The Arp trigger output from my Kenton Pro-2 doesn't work,
                  for example. The clock trigger from my Doepfer midi-cv is
                  fine, but I need to invert the output from the default.

                  > A sample of a Roland TR707 drum machine's Rimshot would be ideal ...
                  >
                  > The TR707 actually had a dedicated Rimshot trigger output specifically
                  > for driving arpegiators ... this worked well for driving sync pulses
                  > into my Juno 6 back in the day. In fact the only reason I kept the 707
                  > for so long was because it provided a convenient MIDI -> Sync Pulse
                  > "bridge" in my setup.
                • Martin Bonnevier
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 14, 2006
                    Hi! Yes, that should work. I actually never tried it on my MP, but on my
                    Juno-60 it works like a charm.

                    Best regards
                    Martin

                    >From: people person <peopleperson04@...>
                    >To: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: RE: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC
                    >Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 05:58:26 -0700 (PDT)
                    >
                    >You mean all I gotta do is send short audio bits into the arpeggio trigger?
                    > Like a simple click track perhaps?
                    >
                    >Martin Bonnevier <martinbonnevier@...> wrote: Hi! one easy way to
                    >do that is if you���ve got mulitiple outputs from your
                    >soundcard. Just program a track with for example 1/16 notes, then use a
                    >short sample (fast attack), and route it through the soundcard ouput to
                    >"arpeggio trig in" on the MP.
                    >
                    >Best regards
                    >Martin, Sweden
                    >

                    > >From: "peopleperson04"

                    > >To: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC
                    > >Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:20:43 -0000
                    > >
                    > >Hello all. I recently acquired a Mono/Poly and I love it. I have a
                    > >Midi to CV converter box which I know I can use with it to some
                    > >degree. Here's what I'm looking to do though, and I don't know if
                    > >it's possible. I'd love to be able to somehow get the arpeggiator to
                    > >lock up with the tempo grid in Acid 6.0. Is there anyway I can do
                    > >this? I want to play arpeggiated sequences into Acid while building
                    > >around them (kinda like mid-70's Tangerine Dream).
                    > >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    >---------------------------------
                    >Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                  • people person
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 14, 2006
                      Yeah, worked like a charm.  Thanks a bunch!

                      Martin Bonnevier <martinbonnevier@...> wrote:
                      Hi! Yes, that should work. I actually never tried it on my MP, but on my
                      Juno-60 it works like a charm.

                      Best regards
                      Martin

                      >From: people person
                      >To: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: RE: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC
                      >Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 05:58:26 -0700 (PDT)
                      >
                      >You mean all I gotta do is send short audio bits into the arpeggio trigger?
                      > Like a simple click track perhaps?
                      >
                      >Martin Bonnevier wrote: Hi! one easy way to
                      >do that is if you�ve got mulitiple outputs from your
                      >soundcard. Just program a track with for example 1/16 notes, then use a
                      >short sample (fast attack), and route it through the soundcard ouput to
                      >"arpeggio trig in" on the MP.
                      >
                      >Best regards
                      >Martin, Sweden
                      >

                      > >From: "peopleperson04"

                      > >To: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC
                      > >Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:20:43 -0000
                      > >
                      > >Hello all. I recently acquired a Mono/Poly and I love it. I have a
                      > >Midi to CV converter box which I know I can use with it to some
                      > >degree. Here's what I'm looking to do though, and I don't know if
                      > >it's possible. I'd love to be able to somehow get the arpeggiator to
                      > >lock up with the tempo grid in Acid 6.0. Is there anyway I can do
                      > >this? I want to play arpeggiated sequences into Acid while building
                      > >around them (kinda like mid-70's Tangerine Dream).
                      > >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • Martin Bonnevier
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 14, 2006
                        No problems! Glad it worked!

                        /Martin

                        >From: people person <peopleperson04@...>
                        >To: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: RE: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC
                        >Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 05:04:28 -0700 (PDT)
                        >
                        >Yeah, worked like a charm. Thanks a bunch!
                        >
                        >Martin Bonnevier <martinbonnevier@...> wrote: Hi! Yes, that should
                        >work. I actually never tried it on my MP, but on my
                        >Juno-60 it works like a charm.
                        >
                        >Best regards
                        >Martin
                        >

                        > >From: people person

                        > >To: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
                        > >Subject: RE: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC
                        > >Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 05:58:26 -0700 (PDT)
                        > >
                        > >You mean all I gotta do is send short audio bits into the arpeggio
                        >trigger?
                        > > Like a simple click track perhaps?
                        > >
                        > >Martin Bonnevier wrote: Hi! one easy way to
                        > >do that is if you���ve got mulitiple outputs from your
                        > >soundcard. Just program a track with for example 1/16 notes, then use a
                        > >short sample (fast attack), and route it through the soundcard ouput to
                        > >"arpeggio trig in" on the MP.
                        > >
                        > >Best regards
                        > >Martin, Sweden
                        > >

                        > > >From: "peopleperson04"

                        > > >To: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
                        > > >Subject: [korg_mono-poly] Mono/poly>CV to midi box>My PC
                        > > >Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:20:43 -0000
                        > > >
                        > > >Hello all. I recently acquired a Mono/Poly and I love it. I have a
                        > > >Midi to CV converter box which I know I can use with it to some
                        > > >degree. Here's what I'm looking to do though, and I don't know if
                        > > >it's possible. I'd love to be able to somehow get the arpeggiator to
                        > > >lock up with the tempo grid in Acid 6.0. Is there anyway I can do
                        > > >this? I want to play arpeggiated sequences into Acid while building
                        > > >around them (kinda like mid-70's Tangerine Dream).
                        > > >

                        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • people person
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 14, 2006
                          Yeah, I ran a click out of a seperate soundcard output and it worked perfectly.  There's a noticeable amount of latency, but I just made a wav file out of the click, and moved it up a little in my host software.  Piece of cake.  Again, thanks so much.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 17, 2006
                            In ProTools I send Midi Beat Clock to my Doepfer MAQ 16/3 sequencer, then take the CV
                            Gate out from one of the MAQ's rows, and send it to the MonoPoly Arpeggio Trig In. I've
                            included a sound example in the "Files" section of this group. There was some latency, so,
                            as has been mentioned here earlier, I moved the sound file to match the beat, removing
                            the "swing" feel.

                            Peace,
                            Jimbo
                            www.sequenox.com

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 18, 2006
                              Hi Jimbo

                              > In ProTools I send Midi Beat Clock to my Doepfer MAQ 16/3 sequencer, then take the CV
                              > Gate out from one of the MAQ's rows, and send it to the MonoPoly Arpeggio Trig In. I've
                              > included a sound example in the "Files" section of this group. There was some latency, [...]

                              The latency happens, because the arpeggio-clock-in as a switched trigger
                              in reacts occasionally on the falling edge of the gate. You could fix
                              this either by setting the MAQ to send inverted gate or (better) by the
                              use of a gate to switched trigger converter.

                              Florian
                            • Jim Cowgill
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 18, 2006
                                Thanks Florian, I'll try that, got to brush off the MAQ manual, one of the most perplexing documents in synthdom.