Re: [korg_mono-poly] Digest Number 436

  • Steve Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2013
      Yes,  those resistors are just additional heaters for each vco.  The ssm2033 has built in heaters, but they take a while to really get up to temperature.  Especially when the ambient temperature is quite cool.   That's why korg added the resistors with thermal compound on each vco.  Not a tempco,  just an additional heater.   With the additional heater the monopoly should be stable within a minute or so.  Pretty big difference.

      -Steve

      On Thursday, October 31, 2013, wrote:

      1 New Message

      Digest #436

      Message

      Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:06 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      dir_marillion

      Hi, thanks to Steve, I checked the resistor at first.

      It was dead.

      I replaced it and needed some calibration work to bring the VCO4 back to the same tuning as the other 3 VCOs. Now the 4 VCOs work stable in any octave and waveform.

      Please notice that if a resistor is dead in any VCO, this oscillator comes slower than the others to the perfect & stable tuning. The time depends on the room temperature, it may comes earlier, especially in the summer.

      ---In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, <dir_marillion@...> wrote:

      Hello,
      To a recent repair of my Mono/Poly, engineer had to remove the VCO thermal grease over the chip. Then he replaced it with another compound/paste and for a few weeks the instrument was working perfect.

      Now, when I turn on the Mono/Poly the first 3 oscillators come to the same tuning after 10-15 minutes (the most) but the 4rth VCO comes synchronizes with them after 25-30 minutes.

      What kind of thermal paste do you suggest for the Mono/Poly?
      Do you suggest to use this paste to all 4 oscillators or only to VCO 4 ?

      Will this thermal paste work or VCOs need a special paste?
      http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2216880

      Thank you very much