Re: [korg_mono-poly] Re: Portamento Spreads the Voices

  • Jeppe Madsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23 12:48 AM
      Soo the reason why my OSC 2 always glides "max" time, while the other OSC's glide according to the portamento time setting, is actually that each OSC has a different glide timer?

      2013/4/21 chipaudette <chipaudette@...>

      In trying to answer my own question regarding voice-spreading portamento on other synths, check out this link discussing the Oberheim OB-X analog polysynth:

      http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/studio/keyboards/oberheim_obx/index.html

      If you skip down quite a bit (~2/3rds of the way), he talks about using the synth in Unison mode, which reveals the OB-X's imperfections in its polyphonic glide, which causes different glide rates for each voice. Hey! This is just like what I had discovered about the Mono/Poly! He is clearly in love with this sound, just like me.

      Based on his text, though, it does not appear that the circuit for the OB-X was *purposely* designed to spread the voices -- it doesn't sound like Oberheim was purposely trying to have the glide rates be different, they just turned out that way. So, the purposely-detuned portamento in the Mono/Poly could still be a unique feature to itself.

      What other synths have multi-voice glide? Are the invidual glide rates purposely different from each other?

      Chip

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23 1:22 AM
        On 23.04.13 09:48 , Jeppe Madsen wrote:
        > Soo the reason why my OSC 2 always glides "max" time, while the other
        > OSC's glide according to the portamento time setting, is actually that
        > each OSC has a different glide timer?
        No. That is for sure a broken cable, solder joint or a defect slide
        potentiometer.