Re: High-Frequency Content of Mono/Poly

  • chipaudette
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
      Hi All,

      Previously, I did some work trying exploring my perception that my Mono/Poly doesn't have quite enough "sizzle" for my tastes. I partially isolated the loss of the highest frequencies to, probably, in the VCA somewhere.

      Well, I finally got out the soldering iron and did made up a "Sizzle Mod" to boost the high-treble to make up for the roll-off in the VCA. If you're interested, check out:

      http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2013/03/monopoly-treble-boosting-sizzle-mod.html

      Chip

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2013
        Hello Chip

        > http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2013/03/monopoly-treble-boosting-sizzle-mod.html
        I have to try this. Looks promising. Did you do some audio examples?

        Florian
      • Laszlo Kovari
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2013
          Hi,
          It would be interesting to hunt dowm the treble loss.
          Is it in the VCF or the VCA?
          I noticed you posted the schematic of the first revision with the digital noise generator.
          The VCA circuit is different in the later revision, maybe it makes a difference in the treble.
          I replaced the VCA in my late revision MP for an SSM2164 and I noticed change in the sound.
          Less non-linear transistor distortion, more crisp, less noise.

          Laszlo

          On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 2:50 AM, chipaudette <chipaudette@...> wrote:

          Hi All,

          Previously, I did some work trying exploring my perception that my Mono/Poly doesn't have quite enough "sizzle" for my tastes. I partially isolated the loss of the highest frequencies to, probably, in the VCA somewhere.

          Well, I finally got out the soldering iron and did made up a "Sizzle Mod" to boost the high-treble to make up for the roll-off in the VCA. If you're interested, check out:

          http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2013/03/monopoly-treble-boosting-sizzle-mod.html

          Chip

          --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "chipaudette" <chipaudette@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I've been doing some detailed comparisons of the frequency content of my Korg Mono/Poly to my Korg Polysix. You may be interested to see some of my detailed results...
          >
          > http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1249615655314260587#overview/postNum=3
          >
          > My investigation continues specifically for the Mono/Poly at...
          >
          > http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2013/02/high-frequencies-monopoly-filter.html
          >
          > Has anyone explored the signals after the VCF and then through the VCA? Is there anyway to get that missing high frequencies back?
          >
          > Chip

        • chipaudette
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2013
            Hi Florian,

            Here's the audio comparison that you requested. Hopefully the YouTube audio has sufficient quality for you to hear the difference in the very high frequencies...

            http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2013/03/monopoly-audio-of-sizzle-mod.html

            Chip